Can Mitt Romney recover? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:00:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Can Mitt Romney recover? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Mitt Romney recover?  (Read 1644 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: October 17, 2012, 12:44:22 AM »

Well, his problem is the huge bump he got when all those racist white swing voters switched to him in the last week or two just didn't really get him strongly ahead - just more or less tied - and with a weak spot in Ohio.  So.. he doesn't really have to 'recover' so much is it appears that his upper margin was kind of a tossup election.  I think this one will be exciting to watch down to the wire, and I don't think Romney will be clearly ahead at any point from now on.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:57:26 AM »

I don't think so.

The first debate really only made Romney palatable. He sort of needed that one-two punch, and he didn't get it. That second punch would have made the intitial Romney bump permanent. But now it will fade.

Excellent and  honest evaluation from a rightist.  However I don't think the Romney first-debate bump will entirely fade, only very partially. Still, it should be just enough.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:42:36 AM »

I don't think so.

The first debate really only made Romney palatable. He sort of needed that one-two punch, and he didn't get it. That second punch would have made the intitial Romney bump permanent. But now it will fade.

Excellent and  honest evaluation from a rightist.  However I don't think the Romney first-debate bump will entirely fade, only very partially. Still, it should be just enough.
There is still some time for Romney to learn how to play the right notes for the swing voter.

I agree.. but considering the Bump, which really was a massive reversal, got him up only to (apparently) gaining NC/FL/VA/CO, while still losing OH/WI/IA/NV, it seems like there may not be enough undecided white (r****t) swing voters to quite put him over the top. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Romney made gains from this.  When it came down to all of the specific questions on CNN and such, they all tended to favour Romney [who would run the economy better, etc...]. 

This.  Like Biden, Obama can claim "victory" as he loses votes across the country.  Alienating woman and losing every important issues is a damning cocktail.  Also, having no plan, vision, or reason to reelect you is a major problem.     

Guys, Romney better keep gaining, because he hasn't gained enough yet - Obama's still at a 277 victory:

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »

Guys, Romney better keep gaining, because he hasn't gained enough yet - Obama's still at a 277 victory:

OH, WI, IA, NV are basically within a point.  Romney's campaign is basically just starting in WI and (I believe NV).  The traction Romney has finally picked up in OH points to him probably winning there.  I can see VA possibly holding close as an Obama firewall.  So Romney is probably at 266 with 25 in play.  Boy, we go through all this and we will probably just end up with a Bush map (maybe flipping 1 or 2 states).  Although it wouldn't be surprising for Mitt to win those 25 in play (if he wins by 4 nationally), giving him 301.       

No, no.  There hasn't been nearly enough traction in Ohio to put it as going for Romney in your map, that's just wishful thinking.. and he's down 2-3 points in all of the rest: Iowa, Wisconsin, or Nevada.  The swing states where he seems to be winning (only by a point or two outside of North Carolina) Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, New Hampshire, and Colorado - just don't get him there.

Here's the real state of the race:

And here's how it goes if we include the slight leans:

A 277 Obama win.   
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies