What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:39:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)  (Read 40616 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »

Sinister

Fred Thompson was in it for some reason.

OMG you're right, he was the sheriff. I didn't even notice that, haha. I suppose if you run a joke campaign for President in 2008 and prove you don't have a clue how to do so you might as well just take cameo roles in low budget horror films. What else is he going to do?
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 04:35:06 AM »
« Edited: November 08, 2012, 05:40:55 AM by Magic 8-Ball »

SkyFall

One of the better installments, and the best Craig-era Bond film for sure.  I'll probably see it again at some point, but right now I have no complaints.  It's nice that Eon is reincorporating some more traditional Bond elements into the the series.

Bardem was excellent, not that anyone who has seen No Country for Old Men should be surprised.

It was interesting to see that Paul Haggis wasn't on the writing team; Purvis and Wade were joined by John Logan.

Also, how many illusions to the franchise are there?  Without giving them away, I counted four - one from GoldenEye, two from Goldfinger, and a rather subtle one from Dr. No.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2012, 07:42:51 PM by Mitt Romney is the new Ronald Reagan »

Skyfall, Argo, and Dredd, in short sequence.

Oddly enough, I found Dredd the most enjoyable of the three. Well, maybe it isn't so strange, since Dredd is indeed an extremely well-made B-movie. Awesome soundtrack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDVabtspO2s) and a ridiculously larger-than-life title character who's played completely straight (Armed thug: "Freeze!" - Dredd: "Why?").
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »

Skyfall
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »

Life of Pi

I wanted to see Lincoln, but it was sold out. All-in-all, though, Life of Pi was actually pretty damn good.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 09:14:10 AM »

Life of Pi

This was an excellent movie.  I loved the book and I am shocked that they were able to make such a good movie out of it (the book doesn't exactly lend itself to being a movie).  To be honest, there were several points in the movie where I actually teared up.  However, this movie probably isn't for everyone.  There is a lot of symbolism (especially regarding religion) and the movie has quite a head on its shoulders.  Also, I'd highly recommend seeing it in 3D which legitimately makes the movie better.  And I say that as someone who has been very critical of the idea of 3D movies (generally they're just an excuse to charge more money for tickets).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2012, 12:26:45 PM by Dying Thoughts of a Martyr »

Life of Pi

I wanted to see Lincoln, but it was sold out.

In Canada? That's impressive.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 01:15:12 PM »

The Dark Knight Rises- boring and incoherent through long stretches.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 01:46:16 PM »

In all fairness, we got there about five minutes before it was supposed to start. Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 05:46:46 PM »

In all fairness, we got there about five minutes before it was supposed to start. Tongue

I'm referring to that it sold out at all. I mean I'm sure most Canadians know who Lincoln was but he's obviously nowhere near as much of an iconic figure.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 05:59:57 PM »

Breaking Dawn Part 2

Pretty good - it was my favorite one. The fans really get on my nerves, though.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »

Barry Lyndon

Boy, was the cinematography ever beautiful. Almost every frame of that film could pass as a Georgian Era painting. Also, Redmond's stepson has gotta be one of the most unlikeable movie characters I've ever come across. All-in-all, I was actually really impressed. The three-hour running time was a little daunting, but it was a really neat movie.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 06:41:00 AM »

Cloud Atlas

Interesting genre mish-mash, to say the least. Period drama meets science fiction, huh?

1849 and 1936 storylines: drama, 1973 storyline: thriller, 2012 storyline: comedy, 2144 storyline: sci-fi action, 2321 plot: post-apocalyptic fiction.

I can say that I enjoyed it though.
evan83
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »

Tabloid.

Documentary on that very odd case in England in the 1970s where a former Miss Wyoming re-united with her ex-boyfriend--who happened to be a Mormon missionary on assignment in the UK--and in which he later claimed she kidnapped and raped him for three days.   Very odd.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 02:19:59 AM »

Snow White & The Huntsman on blu-ray.  

Overall, pretty good.  The story could use more dialog and plot, Kristen Stewart and Charlize Theron were the right choices for the antagonist and protagonist.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 12:14:15 PM »

I actually just recently watched The Machinist with Christian Bale and was really pleasantly surprised. I was not expecting that. It was a very fine psych drama whereas I was expecting something closer to a horror movie.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »

Lincoln.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »

Lincoln was superb - D.D. Lewis is a great actor. I thought his work in There Will be Blood was among the best performances I've ever seen. Everybody involved with Lincoln was great, and it deserves awards.

Anybody see Savages? I've been able to gather that it's basically a combination of Pulp Fiction and Scarface, so maybe, but if it's just shock value I'll skip it.

I recommend basically anything by Martin Scorsese, IMO the best. They're all superb. All of them. I even greatly enjoyed Hugo.

A few reactions:
The recent Batman movies, IMO, are vastly over-rated. Over-long and been-there-done-it.
Barry Lyndon was outstanding - saw it years ago. Although he has his moments of literary pretentiousness, Kubrick was a perfectionist who generally made superior films.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »

Last few I've seen:

1. Skyfall: 5/10 - Overrated and underwhelming but not bad by any means
2. Cloud Atlas: 10/10 - One of my all-time favorites already
3. Looper: 8/10 - Brilliant first two-thirds, last act was a bit of a let down (similar to Skyfall in that regard but better)
4. Cabin in the Woods: 7/10 - Hilarious and about as good as I can rate a horror-esque film

Looking forward to seeing Life of Pi, The Hobbit, and Les Miserables in the near future.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2012, 02:00:53 PM »

The Stoning of Soraya M. It was very moving and if you're in the mood to yell at how rural Iranians interpret Sharia you should watch it. But don't blame me if you start yelling at the screen.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 02:26:55 PM »

Anybody see Savages? I've been able to gather that it's basically a combination of Pulp Fiction and Scarface, so maybe, but if it's just shock value I'll skip it.

It's not exactly just shock value, it's a thriller in a sort of style that has been mostly forgotten since the 90s (that Stone used earlier with Natural Born Killers and was also in movies like The Doom Generation.) It has a lot more character development and plot twists than you'd expect from a movie of that style, however be warned before you see it that the ending pisses off a lot of people. It probably won't bug you as much if you are aware of that beforehand.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »

It's not exactly just shock value, it's a thriller in a sort of style that has been mostly forgotten since the 90s (that Stone used earlier with Natural Born Killers and was also in movies like The Doom Generation.) It has a lot more character development and plot twists than you'd expect from a movie of that style, however be warned before you see it that the ending pisses off a lot of people. It probably won't bug you as much if you are aware of that beforehand.

Thanks - I'll likely catch it here at some point. Yeah, I've heard the end is bizarre. I think you can like or dislike Stone, but to me he doesn't make garbage. He's held a pretty high standard, and in fact I think he's a superb casting director, which was a strong suit for W. Most of those actors nailed the people they portray down to body language and posture. Bush had a way of standing almost with his arms out a bit from his body, and there are a few scenes where Brolin can been seen even doing that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 11:33:01 PM »

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Felt like I was watching a great subplot to a big budget scifi movie.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »

Anna Karenina.  insufferably bad.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States