State of the Senate right now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:24:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State of the Senate right now
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: State of the Senate right now  (Read 25989 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2004, 10:51:33 AM »

Kansas went pretty heavily for Bush in 2000.  Now they've got a Democrat Governor cause we nominated someone that was too conservative for KANSAS   But I guess that was still a victory for you, eh?

At least you are supporting Mel in Florida, though I wish Mark Foley would have stayed in the race.

I agree we have a shot in IL if we play our cards right, but NV is hopeless after all our first, second, third, fourth, and fifth tier candidates dropped out.

I've already said, I think Toomey will win and is a better candidate than Specter.

I also think the Republicans are the favorites in Colorado, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Florida if they nominate Mel Martinez.  All these states went to bush in 2000.

We also have a shot in Illinois and Nevada.

I have no expectations of losing the Seante, with or without the Pennsylvania seat.

Foley might have been the GOP's best candidate in the general, but he could not have won a GOP primary with so many Christian conservatives against him.

And JohnFord...I don't think the Republicans even have a legitimate candidate in Nevada.
Rococo4

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2004, 10:58:32 AM »

Kansas went pretty heavily for Bush in 2000.  Now they've got a Democrat Governor cause we nominated someone that was too conservative for KANSAS   But I guess that was still a victory for you, eh?

At least you are supporting Mel in Florida, though I wish Mark Foley would have stayed in the race.

I agree we have a shot in IL if we play our cards right, but NV is hopeless after all our first, second, third, fourth, and fifth tier candidates dropped out.

I've already said, I think Toomey will win and is a better candidate than Specter.

I also think the Republicans are the favorites in Colorado, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Florida if they nominate Mel Martinez.  All these states went to bush in 2000.

We also have a shot in Illinois and Nevada.

I have no expectations of losing the Seante, with or without the Pennsylvania seat.

Foley might have been the GOP's best candidate in the general, but he could not have won a GOP primary with so many Christian conservatives against him.

And JohnFord...I don't think the Republicans even have a legitimate candidate in Nevada.

seems to me the FLA Senate race will be almost strictly determined by the Presidential race.....i am willing to bet there will be almost 0 people who vote Bush, but for the Dem nominee or vice versa.  This isnt all that common, but sometimes you see it, like in 2000 (Bush won in NE by alot, but Ben Nelson won a close race for Senate, there are many examples).  FLA will not be one of them.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2004, 11:09:26 AM »

Someone catch me... I'm about to faint.  Speechless really.

"Too many moderates"... well.. just you wait.. we're only going to get bigger and bigger and bigger...

I don't see how any Republican could support a Democrat having a better chance at winning the seat.

AMEN.

We know what happens when the Republican Party decides to say, "Screw Reality, Lets Nominate an Ideologue and be a Movement"...

Its called Goldwater...and 6 states.

Go ahead and try, but don't expect us moderates to clean up your mess.

you guys are just plain wrong.  It is one senator and it is only a big deal because of the position he is in line to get if he wins reelection.  We have too many moderates in the party now - but no one is trying to get rid of them.  I dont see how any Republican could support Specter.  There is just a laundry list of reasons not to.  

Rococo4

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2004, 11:11:20 AM »

Someone catch me... I'm about to faint.  Speechless really.

"Too many moderates"... well.. just you wait.. we're only going to get bigger and bigger and bigger...

I don't see how any Republican could support a Democrat having a better chance at winning the seat.

AMEN.

We know what happens when the Republican Party decides to say, "Screw Reality, Lets Nominate an Ideologue and be a Movement"...

Its called Goldwater...and 6 states.

Go ahead and try, but don't expect us moderates to clean up your mess.

you guys are just plain wrong.  It is one senator and it is only a big deal because of the position he is in line to get if he wins reelection.  We have too many moderates in the party now - but no one is trying to get rid of them.  I dont see how any Republican could support Specter.  There is just a laundry list of reasons not to.  

and i dont see how any Republican could vote for Specter over Toomey, because Toomey is actually a Republican, not just a politican with a "R" next to his name
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2004, 11:21:14 AM »

Rococo... moderates are often better members of their respective parties than fire eaters in nice safe seats.
Rococo4

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2004, 11:39:25 AM »

Rococo... moderates are often better members of their respective parties than fire eaters in nice safe seats.

yes they are sometimes, actully most of the time, yes your right.  not this time.  Specter is not your average moderate.  I will just have to disagree with you all on this one.
Rococo4

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2004, 11:45:55 AM »

I am sure you will love Specter if he becomes Judicary Cmte. chairman and rejects a Bush SCOTUS nomiantion because they are too conservative for him.  (assuming GWB wins again).  or appeals court judges for that matter

IF you see Specter as Judicary chairman i think you guys will realize what this is about......if it wasnt for the fact of what he is going to become in the Senate, frankly i wouldnt care if beat Toomey or not.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2004, 12:13:07 PM »

President Bush seems to be comfortable with him.  Vice-President Cheney seems to be comfortable with him.  Senator Santorum seems to be comfortable with him.  If they are comfortable, I'm comfortable with him.

I am sure you will love Specter if he becomes Judicary Cmte. chairman and rejects a Bush SCOTUS nomiantion because they are too conservative for him.  (assuming GWB wins again).  or appeals court judges for that matter

IF you see Specter as Judicary chairman i think you guys will realize what this is about......if it wasnt for the fact of what he is going to become in the Senate, frankly i wouldnt care if beat Toomey or not.
Rococo4

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2004, 12:22:14 PM »

President Bush seems to be comfortable with him.  Vice-President Cheney seems to be comfortable with him.  Senator Santorum seems to be comfortable with him.  If they are comfortable, I'm comfortable with him.

I dont think Bush would come out against any Republican senator for reelection - you dont do that.  The most he would do is stay neutral, like he did against Bob Smith in 02 in NH.  Bush wants to win PA and he doesnt want to look too extreme, which he feels supporting Toomey would make him do
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2004, 03:35:24 PM »

Htmldon,

you know the scary thing is, if the rightwing of the party is correct in thinking that indeed they are 70%+ of the party and that we're expendable, just the 5% swing from us leaving the GOP and--God Forbid--going to the Democrats would keep the GOP out of office for a very very very very long time.

Now what if we're 40% or 45%? or more? >P
Rococo4

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2004, 06:30:13 PM »

I dont think you are getting my point.  Specter is one case by itself.  We are not trying to push out any other moderates.  
Rococo4

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2004, 08:10:51 PM »

Rococo is right.

We are not tryingn to purge moderates.  There is no desire from me to oust Schwarzenegger form me out here in CA.  Mitt Romeny in MA, Pataki in NY, all fine with me, because that is the best we can hope for.  However, this is a special case.  Specter will cause more harm than a freshmen Democrat because of the power he will have.  Also, this is a state that just re-elected Rick Santorum.  They will, of course, elect Toomey if we send him up.

And by the way guys, the last time we tried to be a movement we won 49 states.

Thanks for the backup......good points about Romney, Arnold, etc.  Specter absoluetly would do more damage as Judicary Cmte. Chairman than a freshman PA Dem Senator
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2004, 08:51:54 PM »

When is the pennslyvannia republican senate primary
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2004, 09:26:31 PM »

So you are more supportive of Democrats than Republicans.  I see exactly where you stand.

Rococo is right.

We are not tryingn to purge moderates.  There is no desire from me to oust Schwarzenegger form me out here in CA.  Mitt Romeny in MA, Pataki in NY, all fine with me, because that is the best we can hope for.  However, this is a special case.  Specter will cause more harm than a freshmen Democrat because of the power he will have.  Also, this is a state that just re-elected Rick Santorum.  They will, of course, elect Toomey if we send him up.

Thanks for the backup......good points about Romney, Arnold, etc.  Specter absoluetly would do more damage as Judicary Cmte. Chairman than a freshman PA Dem Senator
Rococo4

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2004, 12:01:08 AM »

They just keep ignoring that we are just anti-Specter...whatever.  No obvioulsy we are not for Democrats over Republicans.  We think  (know) Toomey would be a better Senator and can win, so thats why we want him to defeat Specter
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2004, 12:52:41 AM »

I have to ask again...

Santorum was last elected in 2000, with a very weak majority (53-47 or 52-48 against a weak democrat)

That was before he opened his big mouth and started to piss off those who lived in the Southeast. Like it or not, we're the fastest growing part of the state, with some of the largest registered republican populations--if not the largest--in the state.

If George W. Bush said the same things tricky rick said in the last 2 years...he'd have no chance in hell here.

As for Toomey, he barely won against an inept candidate in the 15th. If he wins, all those Specter voters will find Hoffel a more compatible candidate.

Rococo4

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2004, 01:13:28 AM »

And Ill have to say again - I would rather see Specter defeated than in either the primary or the general because I dont want him chairing Judicary.

Toomey would be 50/50 at best, I understand that, but it is worth the risk.  I am sure Specter will win, he always fools enough people and this yr, gets Dems to register and vote for him.

Win or lose Toomey should be congratulated by all so these Senators (of both parties) cant ignore their constiuents for 5 years then pander to them in election years and expect to be unopposed by a serious candidate.
Rococo4

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2004, 01:36:34 AM »

So you are more supportive of Democrats than Republicans.  I see exactly where you stand.

Rococo is right.

I just figured it out.....you moderates want Specter to chair the Judicary Cmte. It was so simple all along, and I missed it.  You want him to make sure only pro-abortion, pro affirmative action and pro democratic ideals get on the bench.  It is a great way to stop Bush appointments.  Specter is the key to this.  We need more judges like Souter and Kennedy, right?  Specter thinks so.  I think we all know where he stands on real conservative judges, and dont give me anything about Clarence Thomas - his support of him was nothing put an election ploy and to save his job after he brought down Bork.  Sicne this will be his last term, he can support his pro  abortion opinion all he wants, he wont have answer to anyone anymore.

Kghadial
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2004, 02:34:35 AM »

Of course we Dems would like Specter to be the chair. We would much prefer Leahy though.

Kick out Specter and there is a decent chance that the senate goes Democratic.  Leave him be and its hard to imagine that the dems do better than hold even.

Pick your poison. Who would you prefer as judiciary chair? Specter? or Leahy?

This is a race we Dems can't lose.  Specter, who we like. Or we get a liberal Dem senator.
Rococo4

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2004, 11:20:33 AM »

Of course we Dems would like Specter to be the chair. We would much prefer Leahy though.

Kick out Specter and there is a decent chance that the senate goes Democratic.  Leave him be and its hard to imagine that the dems do better than hold even.

Pick your poison. Who would you prefer as judiciary chair? Specter? or Leahy?

This is a race we Dems can't lose.  Specter, who we like. Or we get a liberal Dem senator.

Well you are making a big assumption that if Specter loses we will lose the Senate (legiatemtly this time, not on back room deals to get a defector like Jeffords).  I think we will hold the Senate anyways.  Maybe Leahy will get kicked off Judicary, like he was kicked off the intelligence cmte.  a while back for leaking classified information.  Yeah, obvioulsy dems like Specter.  Just like Republicans like Zell Miller.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2004, 12:55:06 PM »

You think we'd want more judges like Kennedy or Souter?

You're absolutely right.

In case you haven't figured it out, there's a reason why we're called moderates, its because we're not far right wing conservatives. I'll take a Kennedy over a Scalia anyday, and I'll take Souter over Ginsberg anytime.

The Republican Party is not a single thinking being (ala the Borg), if you wish to turn it into such, then go ahead...I'm sure there are plenty other parties who wouldn't mind the millions of moderate republicans joining them.
Rococo4

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2004, 02:39:14 PM »

You're absolutely right.

In case you haven't figured it out, there's a reason why we're called moderates, its because we're not far right wing conservatives. I'll take a Kennedy over a Scalia anyday, and I'll take Souter over Ginsberg anytime.

The Republican Party is not a single thinking being (ala the Borg), if you wish to turn it into such, then go ahead...I'm sure there are plenty other parties who wouldn't mind the millions of moderate republicans joining them.

I am willing to take my chances that enough people wouldnt leave the party because of a Supreme Court appointee. No, the Republican party isnt a single thinking being, but when it comes down to it, there are far more people like me than Republicans who are pro-Specter / pro-Souter.

Most of the party does NOT stand ideogiacally with Specter.  We should not have to support every moderate.  We support all but one - Specter.  I dont like McCain, but I would back him in an AZ Senate Primary.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2004, 02:46:11 PM »

You're absolutely right.

I am willing to take my chances that enough people wouldnt leave the party because of a Supreme Court appointee. No, the Republican party isnt a single thinking being, but when it comes down to it, there are far more people like me than Republicans who are pro-Specter / pro-Souter.

Most of the party does NOT stand ideogiacally with Specter.  We should not have to support every moderate.  We support all but one - Specter.  I dont like McCain, but I would back him in an AZ Senate Primary.

All it matters is the letter that comes after their name.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2004, 03:20:02 PM »

We're better off with 50 or 51 reliable conservatives in the Senate than a 55 majority with 5 or 6 RINOs.  Keeps things consistent - especially things like committee chairmanships.  

I even think we're better off purging turncoats like Specter and ending up with 49 because then we can blame Leahy and the Dems for nixing more Scalia/Thomas-type judges - turns out the base for Senatorial contests in 2006.
Rococo4

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2004, 03:23:45 PM »

We're better off with 50 or 51 reliable conservatives in the Senate than a 55 majority with 5 or 6 RINOs.  Keeps things consistent - especially things like committee chairmanships.  

I even think we're better off purging turncoats like Specter and ending up with 49 because then we can blame Leahy and the Dems for nixing more Scalia/Thomas-type judges - turns out the base for Senatorial contests in 2006.

Yeah I agree except I hope we dont lose the Senate - just Specter loses and Jon Kyl takes over for Orrin Hatch on Judicary.

We have a majority now, but it is not a "working majority."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies