If Obama wins reelection, do you wish the current recession to continue?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:04:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Obama wins reelection, do you wish the current recession to continue?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: If Obama wins reelection, do you want the US to go in another recession?
Yes

No

Maybe

Not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: If Obama wins reelection, do you wish the current recession to continue?  (Read 2459 times)
Cliffy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2012, 09:21:42 PM »

We are and have been in a depression folks, when you subtract the government stimulus.  I wish it was just a recession.  We have spent 2.5-3 yrs worth of GDP in 3+ yrs, that is the only thing making you think it's not that bad and there is nothing to show.  That's artificial and the best we could get out of it is a dropping GDP, horrible is an understatement. 

We have a lot of pain to experience before we are ever going to get to a recovery.  I'm not very optimistic about if even Romney has the balls to pull it off. 

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2012, 09:39:38 PM »

"another" implies we actually ever got out of the last one.

Your question is improperly phrased... should be "do you wish the current recession to continue..."

Do you know what a recession means? Sorry if economic data doesn't fit your talking points...

technically defined,  a recession as two consecutive quarters of decline in GDP.

By this arbitrary standard, the US left the recession 3 years ago.

If you take a more realistic definition that actually reflects peoples lives, which is GDP per capita, the nation is still in recession as GDP growth has been less than population growth.

This is consistent with the $4300 per family DROP in median family income reported by BLS since Obama has become President.

Are you kidding? You're saying that the US population has grown by about 2% per year in the past 2 years? If so, the US is headed for a demographic boom.

As for the median income, of course it has dropped. The median income has been stagnating in the past 30 years, even in times of growth, because all this growth went to the wealthier. You can thank Reagan for that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2012, 10:23:23 PM »

We are and have been in a depression folks, when you subtract the government stimulus.

Well then thank god we didn't elect a President who was against government stimulus.

We have a lot of pain to experience before we are ever going to get to a recovery.  I'm not very optimistic about if even Romney has the balls to pull it off. 

No, no, we don't.  Please stop thinking this way, for your own health and well-being.  There is no imaginary lala-land where the business cycle doesn't exist and the rules of economics no longer apply.  We don't need to destroy everything and rebuild it from scratch.  Your life in small government utopia would not be, for better or worse, much different than it is now.

Stop hoping for it.  Be thankful that depression was just a recession and will go away.  Yes, it will go away.

The only permanent economic depression is a lack of natural resources.  That will never be the case in the United States in your lifetime or for many lifetimes to come. 
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2012, 11:07:01 PM »

I'm not saying it won't go away, but we keep creating bubbles with stimulus instaed of letting them pop.  I'm not going to waste much time arguing with you, you need to study economics.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2012, 11:11:14 PM »

What kind of person, exactly, do you think is going to vote yes? Huh

Heartless idiots.

rooting against private profiteers =/= being heartless.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2012, 11:24:43 PM »

I'm not saying it won't go away, but we keep creating bubbles with stimulus instaed of letting them pop.  I'm not going to waste much time arguing with you, you need to study economics.
This is already happening to our currency under the massive printing. It's time to pull the plug on the fraud machine.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2012, 11:41:05 PM »

I'm not saying it won't go away, but we keep creating bubbles with stimulus instaed of letting them pop.  I'm not going to waste much time arguing with you, you need to study economics.

No, sir, you are the one that needs to study economics.  Stimulus doesn't create bubbles.  Bubbles are naturally occurring.  This is no argument.  If you don't believe this, then you don't believe in reality.  Sure, the government helped the mortgage bubble, but even if they hadn't, you can bet damn well sure something else stupid would have created a bubble instead.  Economies will always find the easiest money good around and then overproduce it to the point of bust.  It sounds bad, but it's that get-rich-quick attitude which drives innovation.

We could never produce another stimulus bill ever again and there will still be regular times of expansion and recession just as there are now.  There is no utopia just over the hill.  
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2012, 11:53:38 PM »

Jesus man, what kind of American would want to see this country struggle economically, regardless of which party is in office? I want whoever is in power to succeed because ultimately it helps me and a lot of other people.

As for economics, I have a BA in economics, so I feel like I can comment on it. Bubbles are naturally occurring. Stimuluses don't cause bubbles. They are designed to create demand using the government as the purchaser to "stimulate" companies to produce products or to create jobs by starting projects like construction and the like. That's why stimuluses are necessary when we are in a recession as opposed to balancing the budget or cutting spending. The only negative of a stimulus is debt, which eventually may hurt economic growth, but it does not create a bubble. We humans create bubbles - the dot com bubble, the housing bubble, etc... the government regulations may have aided it, but it wasn't the government that created it.
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2012, 12:22:48 AM »

lol, what nuanced point you're making of course they're trying to create demand, seriously and yes I would agree guns don't kill people people kill people.  Gheez, of course stimulus can create bubbles and not on it's own obviously.  So you don't think there is a bubble in the market right now? Student loans? Derivatives market?  The money has to flow somewhere.  and Excuse me I should have said you need to study Austrian economics, clearly you believe the Keynesian BS.  I'm talking over the last 3 yrs.  I'm not talking obviously about the housing or dot com, stimulus wasn't involved then.  And the only negative is not debt, how simple minded, it's inflation as well and stagflation.   Why is the price of GAS so high? Oil is low but it's  Inflation, devaluing of the currency through QEs. Gheez I"m wasting my time and this would have to turn into a giant back and forth for pages and I doubt I could ever get you to see the light.  Start with Zerohedge and market-ticker maybe you'll figure it out. 

The other day I talked with a guy, sitting by me on the plane who is an executive with one of the largest manufacturers in the world.  We had a similar but more in depth conversation.  We agreed on every point.  He sat there and told me we are in a depression, I said I agreed, he said they do not run their corp based on the governments artificial numbers they are false, they subtract out deficit spending to get an accurate picture.   Incidentally this is a multi billion dollar privately owned company with 0 debt.  They know a little bit about what they are doing.

Jesus man, what kind of American would want to see this country struggle economically, regardless of which party is in office? I want whoever is in power to succeed because ultimately it helps me and a lot of other people.

As for economics, I have a BA in economics, so I feel like I can comment on it. Bubbles are naturally occurring. Stimuluses don't cause bubbles. They are designed to create demand using the government as the purchaser to "stimulate" companies to produce products or to create jobs by starting projects like construction and the like. That's why stimuluses are necessary when we are in a recession as opposed to balancing the budget or cutting spending. The only negative of a stimulus is debt, which eventually may hurt economic growth, but it does not create a bubble. We humans create bubbles - the dot com bubble, the housing bubble, etc... the government regulations may have aided it, but it wasn't the government that created it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies