NE1: Damn the Torpedoes Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 05:01:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Damn the Torpedoes Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Damn the Torpedoes Act  (Read 848 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:43:07 AM »

Damn the Torpedoes Act

1. Section 6 of the New Capital Act of 2012 is hereby repealed.

Sponsor: Gov. Nix

Nixy, you have 24 hours or I blow this goddamn thing up. Debate time will last 72 hours total.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »

Let me express my opinion on this. This reeks of politicians not wanting to follow democratic rules and twisiting words to achieve their goals.

The question was simple. People voted. There were not enough votes for the capital act amendment to pass. There are not two class of citizens based on how active they are. People are encourage to vote to get a high turnout, but if the result is not "the good one" there are many reasons found by the government to still go ahead. And if the result was not the one expected, it seems the same question will be asked to voters until they give the good answer.

If most government functions are moved to Buffalo, New York City will not be the administrative center anymore, so I disagree on the twisting words interpretation.

This was in the capital act. When I asked a question in the NE assembly thread about the constitutional amendments, I said it was to move the capital to Buffalo. Nobody said a word. Nobody talked about moving certain government functions only, or what percentage would be moved. The vote was not about that.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »

Let me express my opinion on this. This reeks of politicians not wanting to follow democratic rules and twisiting words to achieve their goals.

The question was simple. People voted. There were not enough votes for the capital act amendment to pass. There are not two class of citizens based on how active they are. People are encourage to vote to get a high turnout, but if the result is not "the good one" there are many reasons found by the government to still go ahead. And if the result was not the one expected, it seems the same question will be asked to voters until they give the good answer.

If most government functions are moved to Buffalo, New York City will not be the administrative center anymore, so I disagree on the twisting words interpretation.

This was in the capital act. When I asked a question in the NE assembly thread about the constitutional amendments, I said it was to move the capital to Buffalo. Nobody said a word. Nobody talked about moving certain government functions only, or what percentage would be moved. The vote was not about that.

The Governor has already stated that if the bill failed by a wider margin, this legislation would not be pursued.  No, two-thirds of citizens did not vote to ratify the amendment.  However, last night's vote indicated solid support from most of the voters, and for that reason we are not working against the will of the people by passing this bill.  Quite the contrary, in fact.  In spirit, the current capital will still be the designated location for the administrative center, but the funds will be spent on establishing the new one.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »

The election shows that voters strongly supported the proposals,  and we should take that clear mandate and put it into action in whatever way we can.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »

Well, it's great to know that was just a charade vote, that it didn't really matter if it had two thirds of votes or not and politicians will find a way to do what they legally can't. It is breaking the spirit of the vote.

It's not a country based on the rule of law if one person can decide what percentage of vote is enough to proceed.

If you move many or most of the administrative buildings / workers, than NYC is not the administrative center anymore, even if one person declares it is.

If the assembly had difficulty agreeing on this in the first place, it shows it was not an overwhelming accepted idea.

I see politicians are determined to go ahead even if they didn't get the vote they wanted. It was not a clear mandate. Politicians failed to get the votes needed on this. It wasn't even an issue discussed during the campaign.     
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »

I think 63% is a pretty clear mandate.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:29:32 PM »

I do not believe we should simply abandon the work done by legislators over the past few months - we must take some action to continue on with this project. I do believe that nearly 2/3 of the voters in the past election approving this bill shows a high level of support. We cannot violate the constitution, however, and I will be awaiting the opinion of the CJO to make a final decision

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »

Before proceeding I would like to note that the "New Capital Act" is in reference to a (rejected) bill sponsored by Simfan34. Section 1 of the "Capital Act of 2012" states,

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I assume that the original post in question is in reference to Nix' bill, not Simfan's (defeated) bill. I have not paid as great attention to the affairs of the Northeast Assembly as I did in my earlier years so I may be the one that is out of order here, but I thought I should point that out.

Furthermore, I have yet to reach an official decision as I would like to read the Constitutional Convention in which our current Northeast Constitution was conceived, but at this point I'm quite uncomfortable with this bill.

It would be ill-fitting of a statesman not to execute the office of Northeast Chief Judicial Officer in a timely manner, so I will reach a decision in two days' time. However, my current interpretation of the Article III: Judiciary is that I am in no capacity to officially declare this law unconstitutional unless the case if brought before me.

I have no personal preference for either city, however, and would be happy to devote my efforts in ensuring a future amendment pass - I neglected to cast a vote either way previously out of disinterest.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »

So shall we just sit and wait for Dallas?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »

For non legal types, what is the difference in asking for an opinion instead of a ruling ?

Is the Justice going to decide what is considered an administrative center in the constitution since we don't share the same opinion on this. 
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »

Motion to table.

This isn't getting any action at the moment, and if we decide to go through with this later, we can expedite it through the introduction thread.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »

Motion to table.

This isn't getting any action at the moment, and if we decide to go through with this later, we can expedite it through the introduction thread.

There's already going to be a vote today at some point, I believe.

Still, Dallasfan hasn't given us his opinion, yet.  I would be willing to sign or veto the bill, depending on the conclusion he reaches on this.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »

For non legal types, what is the difference in asking for an opinion instead of a ruling ?

Is the Justice going to decide what is considered an administrative center in the constitution since we don't share the same opinion on this.  

An opinion, if issued, won't really have a legal impact on anything, but I plan to act accordingly as Governor Nix had promised to.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »

Motion to table.

There's already going to be a vote today at some point, I believe.

Still, Dallasfan hasn't given us his opinion, yet.  I would be willing to sign or veto the bill, depending on the conclusion he reaches on this.

I was wondering if we were ever going to get around to vote on it! Wink

I really don't have a position either way on this, so I'll most likely abstain.  But in any case, motion to table withdrawn.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 08:19:20 PM »

Table? Why on earth would we do that?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2012, 08:38:36 PM by Cincinnatus »

Nix can withdraw this bill before a vote occurs, seeing as he's the sponsor..

You must be logged in to read this quote.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 11:09:15 PM »

I did a little more research (though with a test coming up not as much as I'd like to have) and I'm not really any more comfortable with this than I was. I'm still quite willing to devote more time to this (probably Saturday night) but as it stands we're where we were.

Anyway, I would however be willing to vote in the affirmative of a constitutional amendment changing the capitol to Buffalo, NY, if only to resolve this matter.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 11:23:22 PM »

So, are you tabling this?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix