Virginia republican party man arrested after destroying registration forms.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:11:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia republican party man arrested after destroying registration forms.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Virginia republican party man arrested after destroying registration forms.  (Read 2366 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »

I'm glad that we can get over this "massive GOP voter fraud" crap -- there was never any reason to believe this was a Republican conspiracy of any sort.  Small will get the criminal conviction he deserves, he's already fired, J. J. is wrong, and life goes on as normal.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »

pretty much
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »

So J. J.'s argument ultimately appears to be "There is nothing wrong with this because if you give your voter registration form to a random person on the street they are not obligated to deliver it. Even though this incident did not involve that."

Well, I don't have an obligation, as a private citizen to mail anything for someone else.  This was a bit different because he agreed, presumably, to mail them.

It is obviously different if the person is an official and has a duty to mail them; I'll concede that he might have. 

Also, most of the forms were duplicates of people already registered, so I would not call those voter suppression.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 10:09:37 PM »

So J. J.'s argument ultimately appears to be "There is nothing wrong with this because if you give your voter registration form to a random person on the street they are not obligated to deliver it. Even though this incident did not involve that."

Well, I don't have an obligation, as a private citizen to mail anything for someone else.  This was a bit different because he agreed, presumably, to mail them.

It is obviously different if the person is an official and has a duty to mail them; I'll concede that he might have. 

Which means your example of a private citizen having to mail them is entirely pointless and completely irrelevant to this situation.

Also, most of the forms were duplicates of people already registered, so I would not call those voter suppression.

1. It is not illegal to submit a duplicate voter registration, nor uncommon.
2. Since we have the actual reason he threw them away why are you still continuing on this line anyway?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 10:42:20 PM »

Which means your example of a private citizen having to mail them is entirely pointless and completely irrelevant to this situation.

2. Since we have the actual reason he threw them away why are you still continuing on this line anyway?

Well, in the first place, because it wasn't clear to me he was hired first.

It isn't voter suppression, or voter fraud, not to register someone who is already registered (unless it was a change of data).

The reason was, he made a mistake.  That isn't voter suppression either.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 12:46:09 AM »

This again reflects the need for Democrats to go to the mat on voting laws.  They could be doing so much to expand participation in the states they control, and yet we see almost nothing save for same day registration in CA.  100% turnout should be the goal.  Time to send social workers door to door with the ballot.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 01:08:21 AM »

Well, in the first place, because it wasn't clear to me he was hired first.

What the hell did you think happened? Eight people just walked up to this guy on the street and at random asked him to submit their voter registration forms?

It isn't voter suppression, or voter fraud, not to register someone who is already registered (unless it was a change of data).

In the eyes of the law, yes it is. As Alcon is stated it is illegal to refuse to deliver a voter registration form by anyone claiming they will do so unless they have written consent of the person in question. Which makes perfect sense, because duplicate registrations aren't really a big deal nor do they affect the rolls any, but allowing individuals in voter drives to just disgard registration forms that they think are duplicates leaves open a pretty big loophole toward deliberate voter suppression (and if the law is "You can throw away duplicate forms but if it turns out you're wrong and the form wasn't a duplicate after all you are guilty of a felony." then why would any person bother to do so anyway instead of simply delivering the forms?)

The reason was, he made a mistake.  That isn't voter suppression either.

No, but it does confound why anyone would continue to defend him.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 07:31:05 AM »

What happens to people like these four who learn their registration forms weren't taken in only when it's too late? Are they allowed to at least cast a provisional ballot or something?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies