Mitt creates 'Arab-Americans for Romney' - is MI a tossup now? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:49:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt creates 'Arab-Americans for Romney' - is MI a tossup now? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mitt creates 'Arab-Americans for Romney' - is MI a tossup now?  (Read 1122 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: October 19, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »

http://www.mittromney.com/news/press/2012/10/romney-president-announces-arab-americans-romney

I can't think of any way Romney could benefit from this other than peeling off a few thousand votes in Michigan, which suggests he means business there. Everywhere else, Arab-Americans are too widely dispersed to have any significant impact on a national election. The fact that this demographic runs the gamut from 4th+ generation Lebanese Catholics who vote like other white ethnics to recently arrived Muslims who are solidly Democratic means they basically cancel each others' votes out.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »

One of my uncles on the Lebanese/Palestinian side of my family basically sums up all of the ground Republicans have lost with that demographic over the past decade. He's a very successful business owner, goes to church on Sundays and Wednesday evenings, the sort of person you'd think would be a lock for Republicans (and once was). He was very strongly for Bush in 2000, went to a bunch of fundraisers for him, maxed out his FEC contributions, got invited to play golf with him and some other Texas GOP people. Voted for Bush again in 2004 but with little enthusiasm. I honestly don't know who he voted for in '08 but he has been very pro-Obama this year, posting stuff on FB, emailing people, etc.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies