Ben Kenobi campaign thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:08:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Ben Kenobi campaign thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Ben Kenobi campaign thread  (Read 5729 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

I'll bite. What did the federal government do to warrant this?

We gave them buses. Apparently even regional governments are no longer allowed to do anything without it being an affront. I can't wait for Texas to break down into 254 Catholic communes.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »

In Atlasia, the legislature is Texas' government. We were given funds by the federal government, which is completely constitutional, and are debating on what to do with them, also constitutional.

The federal government is not legislating or coercing anyone into enacting any legislation. There is no infringement on Texas. As far as I know anyway, single states have no rights in this game. Regions can suceed whenever they want, and they have, but not single states.

An illegal but more legal alternative is for the IDS to leave but we still have no real reason to do so and no legal basis. I am still interested to hear his argument. I did not get much out of what he wrong above. I suppose I am a carpetbagger he's referring to in his drivel, but I'm a South Carolina citizen in real life and resent being called that!
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »

Can we impeach this gentleman from the Legislature?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2012, 09:22:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Our dispute is not with the Federal government. Our dispute is with the IDS. We no longer wish to be associated with them.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 09:25:15 PM »

Right there in the document. Moving people into the south, challenging elections, attempting to strip citizens of Texas of their right to vote. This has been building up for a long time.

What benefit does Texas receive from being part of the IDS? Absolutely none. Ergo, we must go at it as our own region, free of the carpetbaggers who infested the IDS.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:50 PM »

Given the hostility of the present IDS legislature towards Texas and her citizens, we have decided to leave. We don't have to ask your permission. You can pass whatever you want, but it will have no force here.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 09:55:16 PM »

I already put down one insurrection here because of your crap.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »

Wait, so you Texas to leave the IDS but stay in Atlasia? Interesting...
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 10:06:22 PM »

Yessir. Seatown provided the spark in his attempt to overwhelm Texas by invalidating our votes in our own region. So rather than permit this to happen again - we have decided to protect ourselves from another such attempt by forming our own region.

Had Seatown respected the legitimate democratic process and the desire of the citizens of Texas to remain distinct from the rest of Atlasia, this would never have become necessary. But alas.

Actions have consequence, and this is the consequence of a long series of depredations. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 10:21:47 PM »

So, just so I understand this correctly, you're leaving the region over a guy who's not even an elected official in the region who didn't even win his case, both at the federal and regional level. Correct?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »

It's a lot of things, all combined together.

One. Labour's attempt to shift people into this region to overwhelm the residents of the region. This makes the game extremely unfun. People should stay in their regions.

Two. The IDS is the IDS. The IDS should be allowed to stay the IDS. That the IDS is distinct from the rest of Atlasia is a principle that everyone in the game should respect.

Three. Seatown's case should never have been even entertained. Someone trying to strip other people of ballots cast should warrant a permaban, IMHO. It pissed everyone off down here. And I mean everyone.

Four. The solution to the registration games, the court cases and the individuality of the IDS is to create a separate region in Texas, where none of this happens. It would be to the benefit of the game if the principle that the IDS is distinct were respected. I don't want to create a separate region, but if that's what it takes because of Labour's jackassery, then that's what will happen.

What I would like to see are the following.

1. Permaban seatown for his jackassery.
2. The Senate pass a bill stating that the IDS is to remain distinct.
3. Ban on moves into the IDS by Labourites for a year.

If all these things are done, there is no need to make a new region. As it is, this is, unfortunately, the best move.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:28 PM »

1. Permaban seatown for his jackassery.
2. The Senate pass a bill stating that the IDS is to remain distinct.
3. Ban on moves into the IDS by Labourites for a year.

1 and 3 seem highly questionable at best and unconstitutional at worst.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2012, 10:38:58 PM »

What does it mean when you say the IDS is to remain distinct? And isn't the federal government passing such a bill an infringement on regions rights? I'd say so.

And banning Laborites from moving into the region is just as bad as strategic registration, so I oppose both measures.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2012, 10:50:36 PM »

It means our values are different from folks in the rest of Atlasia. It means that the regions hould be able to actually have a conservative party in governance without strategic registration from labourites to take over the one region that the party actually controls. That we can actually pass a conservative bill without having everything shot down by the labourites. So on and so forth.

I personally, think it would make the game better to have a strategic registration ban on labourites et al moving to either the IDS or conservatives to the North East. That way each party has their own base. It makes for a better game.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2012, 10:53:30 PM »

It doesn't even have to be a bill - just agreement between both parties. The game is better when both parties are strong and able to have influence. The game gets boring when there's only one 'valid viewpoint' and that viewpoint dominates everything.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2012, 10:58:41 PM »

Unfortunately strategic registration has been around for a while in this game, and while we have looked in the past at ways to ban it, we never could come to a consensus on "how" to do it, how to prove where someone lives, etc. So it never got done.

Perhaps instead of leaving the region, you can participate in the discussion on how to fix the problem nationwide. Strategic registration breaks the game. While I welcome new members to the IDS, and new ideas and the increased attention we have, I want it to be for the right reasons and not something cooked up behind the scenes.

But there's no laws that say the South "must" have a conservative government. Regions change. The Northeast went from a left wing to a far right wing (mostly due to strategic registration, unfortunately), and remained that way until it slowly moved back. That's the game for you. As long as people have the freedom to move around to regions they want to join, it will remain in this same dynamic.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »

It means our values are different from folks in the rest of Atlasia. It means that the regions hould be able to actually have a conservative party in governance without strategic registration from labourites to take over the one region that the party actually controls. That we can actually pass a conservative bill without having everything shot down by the labourites. So on and so forth.

I personally, think it would make the game better to have a strategic registration ban on labourites et al moving to either the IDS or conservatives to the North East. That way each party has their own base. It makes for a better game.

Sad
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:11 PM »

I'm not a fan of Labor bussing people into the region, but I don't see this form of retaliation as being feasible or desirable. If you want to stop them, I suggest recruiting people and winning elections.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2012, 11:11:30 PM »

You would not feel this way if the situations were reversed, and it was labour that had one region it was trying to hold onto and the conservatives were bussing folks in.

Anyways, what seatown did was beyond the pale. When another player shows that disrespect to the other players of the game, sometimes you have to do what it takes to show that this is not welcome to the game. He crossed that line. He should go.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36:01 PM »

What? I oppose strategic registration regardless of who is doing it. I fought it when people in my own party were doing it in the Northeast. I would never cheer on any side taking over a region strategically. Plenty of people can attest to that.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2012, 11:58:29 PM »

So why are you helping their cause in the legislature?

What they are trying to do is take out me or Sjoyce, get seatown in and bump up Adam. You're the whole hinge to the strategy Duke. With you they can bump up adam and still keep the iron grip over the legislature.

Do you not see this?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »

It'll probably be worth your time to read this thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=166016.0
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2012, 12:14:17 AM »

What they are trying to do is take out me or Sjoyce, get seatown in and bump up Adam. You're the whole hinge to the strategy Duke. With you they can bump up adam and still keep the iron grip over the legislature.

Do you not see this?

LOL. I'm the underdog in this election; it's more likely that I'll end up without any elected office than the scenario in which you've outlined. There's also been a recent influx of conservative strategic registration by the Federalists that proves my point.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »

Do you not see this?

What? I supported SJoyce and I have endorsed PiT for reelection because he has been a long time ally of mine since the days when I was governor and he was our regional senator. How am I helping them with "their" cause? whatever that may be. Griffin is a friend, and most people know I don't label people by party, and we didn't conspire to kill your proposal. Take off the tinfoil hat.

I explained my vote in the other thread - even in the Legislature where I voted. I voted for Zanas' proposal because I want what's best for the IDS. Your proposal left Texas completely out, and I think Texas, especially Houston, Dallas and Austin, are important to our region and should receive federal funds appropriated to the region to help with our transportation. These cities and Texas will benefit from this money, strengthening your economy and drawing more people into your state.

It was not a partisan vote because it was proposed by a Labor. No one messaged me asking for me to vote a specific way. I voted my conscious, as I have always done. I am not some shrill partisan guy - I do what is best for this region I have devoted my entire time in Atlasia to. I felt including all of the states in the discussion of these funds was the best way to go - I don't regret my vote, nor do I regret giving your state some money to help it economically.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2012, 12:34:14 AM »

Then why have you a 100 percent voting record this term for supporting labor? For a supposed independent, you have a very strong voting block. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies