UN doesn't trust America - will send in people to monitor the elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:21:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  UN doesn't trust America - will send in people to monitor the elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: UN doesn't trust America - will send in people to monitor the elections  (Read 6620 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2012, 06:32:46 PM »

The UN wants Obama to win. They'll send their goons to prevent a clean victory for Mitt. Why do you think there's all this squabble over voter ID.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »

Election monitors go all around the world to monitor elections. Why should the US be exempted, especially with people like John Husted around? I would definitely want some election monitors in Ohio.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »

Why are people responding seriously to a confirmed dickhead who claims that Obama is a secret Muslim?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »

As long as they are willing to observe fairly, follow US laws, and challenge whatever irregularities are found regardless of who the suit may benefit, I will support their presence. However, the US cannot allow international organizations to run our elections if those said organizations have an agenda to help one candidate or another or wish to alter US voting laws. US elections should be determined by US citizens, as should US laws.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »

You aren't running for office, so why bother with that pompous blather. Jesus Christ.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2012, 08:35:22 PM »

You aren't running for office, so why bother with that pompous blather. Jesus Christ.

Why do you even post here? Just to throw random insults at everyone?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2012, 08:36:49 PM »

Mais oui.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »

Mais oui.

Okay. So I guess you deserve an actual answer to your non-question question then.

The reason why I posted a politician-style comment was to stress two important points:
1. The US pushes other nations to have fair elections. We send observers all over the world. It's only fair to expect the same level of scrutiny on us.

2. I still support the idea that the US should be a Democracy. I am somewhat fearful of the UN intruding in our elections with the intent to influence the result in a particular way. The groups that asked the UN to come were the NAACP and ACLU. Those two are hardly objective referees in a US election. I fear the UN would simply be their lapdog or attempt to push some sort of international agenda to re-elect President Obama. Observers need to be exactly that, observers.

Yes, the second of those two points needs to be carefully worded because OMG!!!! RAZISM!!!! will surely be screamed if I post anything overstated. TBH I just don't feel like spending the next three hours chasing that around the forum.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Considering that the US was the first of the modern day republics, why am I not surprised to see Democrats cheering other nations telling the US what to do? GTFO, UN.

You're (unsurprisingly) using faulty logic there.

Switzerland was a republic before the United States. The Dutch and Venetian Republics were on their last legs of existence, though. 
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2012, 11:01:51 PM »

1. OSCE isn't the UN and I'm tired of people referring to every international NGO as "the UN".
2. OSCE has been sending election observers since 2002 and no one cared until...
3. Dumbass liberal interest groups said "OMG the American people will surely rally to our cause if we get international NGO's to agree with us!".  And everyone wonders why liberal self-identification is half that of conservatives.

Fortunately, elections in our country are carried out by the states and they have various laws as to whether international observers are allowed or not.  I don't expect to be seeing any Kazakhstani experts on democracy hanging out at Tennessee polling stations.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2012, 12:32:15 PM »

1. OSCE isn't the UN and I'm tired of people referring to every international NGO as "the UN".
2. OSCE has been sending election observers since 2002 and no one cared until...
3. Dumbass liberal interest groups said "OMG the American people will surely rally to our cause if we get international NGO's to agree with us!".  And everyone wonders why liberal self-identification is half that of conservatives.

Fortunately, elections in our country are carried out by the states and they have various laws as to whether international observers are allowed or not.  I don't expect to be seeing any Kazakhstani experts on democracy hanging out at Tennessee polling stations.
1 is correct, 2 is correct, 3 the True the Vote is the one who has caused the controversy here.
rockhound
Rookie

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »

What can they possibly be checking?   The dems have made sure that the dead can vote, that people can vote as many times as they want, and that truckloads of unionists can be brought in from other states to vote.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »

What can they possibly be checking?   The dems have made sure that the dead can vote, that people can vote as many times as they want, and that truckloads of unionists can be brought in from other states to vote.

Care to provide any sort of evidence whatsoever?
rockhound
Rookie

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »

Care to provide any sort of evidence whatsoever?

http://freedomoutpost.com/2012/10/undercover-video-obama-workers-enable-double-voting-across-state-lines/
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

James O'Keefe has ruled himself out as a usable source long ago.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »

By the by, the OSCE published their Statement of Preliminary Findings and Conclusions on 7 November. (The full report won't be complete for several more weeks.) It is, in general, a positive report.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hopefully we can all agree though that whatever about the contents of this report, the true lesson to be learned from all this, is, of course,  that the US should leave the UN post-haste.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2012, 09:32:55 PM by Senator Simfan34 »

This thread, well... wow... yeah. Anyone who suggests the US leave the UN, an organization of our devising, should be hit with sticks. In general, not just because of this.

I mean what does this even mean? Some folks standing at polling sections taking notes. How can anyone find that objectionable? Yes it sounds mildly insulting to our intelligence, but pretty much every country has election monitors. This is meaningless, especially when the observers are from the OECD, also an organization of our devising.

Somewhat less silly, but still rather silly, is the idea that this is the manifestation of some negative judgement of the U.S. Like I said, every decent country has foreign election monitors.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2012, 12:18:48 PM »

Just out of curiosity, where do they get the power to monitor our elections from? This should not be tolerated. We have a ton of domestic vote watching groups on all sides of the political spectrum, we dont need UN authoritarian morons getting involved.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »

Just out of curiosity, where do they get the power to monitor our elections from? This should not be tolerated. We have a ton of domestic vote watching groups on all sides of the political spectrum, we dont need UN authoritarian morons getting involved.

Roll Eyes
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »

Just out of curiosity, where do they get the power to monitor our elections from? This should not be tolerated. We have a ton of domestic vote watching groups on all sides of the political spectrum, we don't need UN authoritarian morons getting involved.
The US is a founding member of the OSCE and the OSCE has the right to observe elections in member states. The only thing special about the USA in this context is, that elections in America are not regulated by the federal government (which is a member of the OSCE), but the individual states that are not.

Many of you keep referring to the OSCE as an NGO. Its not! OSCE is an organisation of states represented by their government, so its an IGO (inter-governmental organization), not an NGO (non-governmental organization).
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »

Are you for real ? Like real real ?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »

LoL I came so close to walking into my polling place and saying "Hi, I'm the UN Election observer" just to see what they'd do. But then I chickened out because this is Texas
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »

I wonder if the UN has filed any kind of report yet, and if they indicated what they think of people standing in line up to six hours to simply cast a ballot?

I, for one, am relieved that they took an interest in this election and its fairness.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies