Who won the Debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:56:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who won the Debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Who had the KO?
Barack Obama

Mitt Romney

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 136

Author Topic: Who won the Debate?  (Read 4387 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2012, 05:13:09 AM »

When was the last time the GOP candidate actually WON the majority of debates? Seems to me the the Democratic candidate always wins a majority of the debates. At least as long as I've been following politics.

2000?
OK, I will concede that Bush won the debates in 2000, at least when judging public reaction to them. I just personally thought that Gore completely outdebated Bush.

But wouldn't it be more correct to say that Bush won the post-debate spin war more than the actual debates. Wasn't the first debate originally called a narrow Gore-win until the focus on demeanor dominated the media spin on it? The second debate was won by Bush, but the third debate was more or less a tie as far as I remember.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2012, 06:26:22 AM »

Romney cleaned house - Downton Abbey style. Obama will still be in 1600 Penn Ave this time next year.

Romney's policies are either on the wrong side of public opinion or the same as Obama's. He was sounding increasingly hollow by the end of it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2012, 07:30:27 AM »

In terms of tactical gains, Romney will probably cut into Obama in two areas.  Shipbuilding, which helps in VA  (Obama's right, but it has a political cost).  Israel, which helps in FL, enough, and in NY, CT, and PA (but not enough).
dirks

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2012, 07:54:22 AM »

Well first of all this forum is 80% lib so we all know what the results will be

anyway...both men came in with different agendas...Obama was petulant, angry, disrespectful...and was basically there to take shots and Romney so that his army of loser hipster followers could make a whole bunch of new meme's in the morning

Romney on the other hand was more tactical, composed, and a heck of a lot more presidential. The polls are all over the place, but just by watching the debate yesterday it would appear Obama was debating from behind because of how desperately he was trying to attack

Romney got his points in, he was calm and collected...he didn't engage Obama who wants to paint him as some warmongering radical...I think his strong pro-Israel stance will shore up Florida for good, I think he dispelled the lies the Obama camp has been spreading about his stance on the auto industry, and I think he continued to stay on point hammering home the economic issue as well as giving some very strong responses on china
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2012, 07:58:33 AM »

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/disappointed-oreilly-slams-mitt-romney-didnt-do-anything-nothing/

Bill O'Reilly is having an Andrew Sullivan-level freakout about Romney's performance last night.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2012, 09:14:51 AM »

Obama won, but the media is making sure he doesn't get very much credit for it, oddly enough. The dominant theme seems to be that the debate won't matter, with Obama being labelled the winner in a footnote.

Obama showed how advantageous getting security briefings every day is. Romney was not nearly as knowledgeable, but I think it's clear is more knowledgeable than candidate Obama was. Romney didn't want to commit himself to anything, spoke in broad terms, and agreed with the president a lot. I appreciate that more than if he'd come out as some kind of fire-breather. However Obama dominated the flow of the debate and was more articulate.

If I take one thing away from this debate, it's how far to the right on foreign policy Obama is, and how little outrage there has been from the left over this fact.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2012, 09:28:21 AM »

Hard call.  Obama seems better informed about foreign policy.  He also stayed fairly rational under fire and seemed strong, whereas Romney stuttered and repeated himself, speaking in clichés and soundbites, and appeared weak.  On the other hand, Obama was pandering and exploitative, vulgar at times, unpresidential, even cocky.  Given that I remember Obama more, both good and bad, I'd have to give him the edge in this one, so I'll say it was a narrow debate victory for Obama.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »

The thing is though, they call it "foreign policy," but there's very little actual policy involved. More than anything, this is the field where posture matters, and where it really is just about soft power. Is there that much substance to really talk about? Obama made it look like he was speaking in detail, but it was all just your typical fluff too. That scores him points, but I don't think this is a topic you can really "win" on during economic times like these.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2012, 11:12:57 AM »

Obama didn't deliver a knockout punch. Romney didn't implode. It's debatable about who won.

However, I voted Romney, because he came out as far more presidential than Obama did.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »

Obama didn't deliver a knockout punch. Romney didn't implode. It's debatable about who won.

However, I voted Romney, because he came out as far more presidential than Obama did.

How is someone more "presidential" if he says things that are inaccurate and appears incompetent in that area?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2012, 12:28:46 PM »

First off, why would you vote for someone if they "came off" more presidential? Would you not vote for someone you agree with 100% just because they didn't "come off" presidential? It's a bullsh**t talking point.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2012, 02:39:37 PM »

Why does everyone here think debates are about the issues? Jesus, they never have been. In 1960, Nixon won the debate on policy but Kennedy looked better and more "presidential" and thus went on to win a narrow election. Etc, etc, etc... It's about style over substance. This is not some new phenomenon that just started this election. Romney did what he had to do - convince people you can trust him with nukes, and Obama, at times, came off as cocky, condescending and smug.

Obama won on substance. He clearly knows more about foreign policy than Romney, which we all knew and expected. He failed to deliver the knockout punch, and Romney did not make a major blunder. Obama seemed more knowledgable, but how scary about it have been if Obama hadn't won this debate? Think about that.

The outcome of this debate will not change the polls. I still give Obama a better chance at winning the election, but I still am not confident either way.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »

Who had the knockout? Ndamukong Suh, of course. Bruised ribs and all. When I saw it I thought Cutler broke his collarbone.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2012, 02:58:39 PM »

How is someone more "presidential" if he says things that are inaccurate and appears incompetent in that area?

Obama loses on fact checks about 10 to 1.  Obama's childish 'tantrums' really were beneath his office and Romney is obviously a man of substance, but more importantly (for gauging the impact of the debate) he looked Presidential.  It's amazing to watch Romney next to Obama, because he looks younger, more energetic, more in command, and obviously more competent.  
elcorazon

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2012, 03:42:51 PM »

Obama - 51%, 332
Romney - 47.5, 206

...and there you have it.  I'm not changing a thing. 
I doubt Obama wins Florida, but otherwise, that looks fine to me.
Marston
United States

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »

Just gonna leave this here:

Reuters/Ipsos Post-Debate Poll: Obama 47, Romney 31 (on who won debate).
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »

Obama loses on fact checks about 10 to 1.

[citation desperately needed]

Obama's childish 'tantrums' really were beneath his office
Which 'tantrums' are you referring to? Huh

and Romney is obviously a man of substance,

but more importantly (for gauging the impact of the debate) he looked Presidential.
Debatable, but I'll give you that one.

It's amazing to watch Romney next to Obama, because he looks younger, more energetic, more in command, and obviously more competent.  
1/4. At most.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »

Romney and anyone who voted for Obama is a hack.

Even if Romney has dropped his pants and defecated in front of the camera, you'd still claim he won.
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »

Well we know fox's focus group of independents said Romney and economy.

CNN again did not show their group vote, they are scared every time, everyone else shows their group vote

CBS focus group of independents, Romney won 6-2

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50133707n
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »

Well we know fox's focus group of independents said Romney and economy.

CNN again did not show their group vote, they are scared every time, everyone else shows their group vote

CBS focus group of independents, Romney won 6-2

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50133707n

MSNBC's focus group of undecideds went for Obama.
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2012, 04:08:59 AM »

This is why I really don't understand this media consensus that he came off as "presidential".  To me, it was quite clearly the opposite.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies