The BRTD Memoirs Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:25:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The BRTD Memoirs Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The BRTD Memoirs Thread  (Read 1330 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »

I'm saving that for a movie script or something. You can't make that stuff up.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 11:34:24 PM »

Stories within stories. This is excellent. I have high hopes for the narratological structure and style of this thread, BRTD.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 11:54:02 PM »

OK... I will admit that was a good read!
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »

A long series involving your conversion story would be a great feature.

That story looks like it came out of a Tucker Max blog post or a frat mythos passed down through the decades, wow.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 01:01:52 AM »

Okay this thread has already exceeded my expectations. Well done, BRTD.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 01:54:51 AM »

A long series involving your conversion story would be a great feature.

I don't think Inks would allow it, as a key part of that resembles Fifty Shades of Grey.

I suppose that story will just have to have this.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »

This seems like a strange reason to reproduce or get tattoos.  Couldn't she just not get tattoos and not reproduce, and thus obviate 1) having anything to explain and/or 2) having anyone to explain anything to?

Remember opebo, the band she used to be in was a Christian band, she's a religious. I don't think you'd expect her to behave in a way that you find rational.

Ugh!  I guess I didn't read closely enough or blocked that out.  I feel disgusted.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 11:21:53 PM »

Even if you've lived in this region your whole life, January can be a very alien feeling and depressing time. The barren landscapes and snow and extreme cold more resembles an alien planet than what's commonly thought of as Earth and makes everything more surreal. Maybe that's why I remember this well. It was a Tuesday afternoon and I was sitting around in my well heated apartment, and in Minnesota in early January having heating is a reason not to go out if you don't have to. And I didn't have to, because for once I was not working on a Tuesday. I traded shifts with some guy at work so he could have his anniversary, the last Sunday off, and in exchange he'd trade on a later week so I could go to a show on Tuesday without using any vacation days. But that show was not now, and so the day was a day of Dave's Redistricting App and video games. What the f**k, why not go to a strip club? I mean I had a huge paycheck coming anyway due to all the extra time I worked over the holiday season, and what else is there to do? But why go to a strip club in Minneapolis on a Tuesday afternoon? This has to be special. So I put on a jacket, started up my car, let it run for 15 minutes, and then headed to 35W, due south, to the Iowa border. Where one of my favorite clubs existed. A hidden gem in the middle of nowhere, in a town with a double digit population, whose entire economy consists of a grain silo, the strip club, and a bar right next to the strip club. I had gone to it in college out of desire to road trip to somewhere that wasn't Minneapolis for once, and something had kept me going back even after moving here. Maybe that I always had to road trip to somewhere. Also the site of one of my few positive stories about cops, where the previous summer some dumb asses decided to shoot of fireworks in the parking lot nearby after the Fourth of July and the county sheriff's department got a call and investigated. They spoke to the owner while I was at the tip rail. The stripper on stage talked about how paranoid she now was and put her thong back on shortly after taking it off and said she wouldn't be comfortable taking it off again until they left. After writing up their report, the two deputies walked to the door, but one stopped, took out a $5, tossed it on stage and yelled out "take it off again!" With a huge smile on her face she slid off her thong again.

So around 4PM I was on the interstate and heading down. Of course this meant it went less than halfway there, which meant the surroundings got a little less surreal, but only a little. Around 6PM, I got to the club, which had literally just opened an hour earlier. There was me, the bartender, two strippers, and one other guy in the club. No one on stage even. I realized it wasn't going to pick up, so I had to do something, but what else to do in this town? Oh what the hell, I'll head off to Iowa, just so I can start the year by visiting a different state. And so I began the drive to the town of Northwood, even if I would do nothing there besides fill up with gas.

And then it happened. I drove through the remote county roads in basically zero degree weather with nothing but barren wheat fields in the landscape, when I saw someone in the distance standing on the side of the road. I slowed down to get a better look. It was some guy, who was not dressed as warm as you'd expect for the climate, and was quite pale. With a very strange stare in his eyes. Like he didn't even know I was there. Granted I don't pay attention to cars driving by when I walk down the streets, but we're the only two out here in this remote land. He's staring at...something, but I don't know what. I thought of a possible hitchiker, but why go to such an odd county road for that? I hit the gas pedal and sped off. Yes I was speeding, but who would catch me there?

Still a little shaken, I made it to the nearest gas station. I was about to input my card before I remembered that this is the land of wholesome trusting people and not all the gas stations are pre-pay/credit card only, so I just inserted it and topped off the tank, before going inside to get a drink. This is one of those gas stations that also does DVD rentals, because the town is too small for any chains or dedicated video stores and the locals haven't discovered Netflix yet. I've found people unfamiliar with rural areas aren't even aware those exist. I got my drink and a candy bar, paid the clerk, a super stereotypical wholesome looking Midwestern girl whose look I realized also would apply to the strippers if they wore a bit more, and left. I drove back, and did not see that guy again on the county road. The possibility of seeing him again sort of terrified me, to the point where I considered going to back to the interstate.

Now there was three guys in the club besides me and the bartender. As I pulled into the parking lot again I saw the stray cats who regularly hang out by the smoking lounge and get fed regularly. That night I learned the strippers even have names for the cats and the one I got a dance from got very sad because one of the cats quit showing up last month, implying that s/he is probably dead. That too is kind of surreal. But the whole thing was too creepy. Almost empty club in a barren, Siberian climate town. As I left I realized I could get home by 10:30, not too late. But hey, at least I did "something" today. I remember something, even if there was no point to it. And I now only had four more days to work until my next weekend. This wasn't a very notable day in my life, but I remembered it enough to type this up again. I mean it had similarities to a David Lynch movie and how often does that happen?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 11:44:31 PM »

That's a genuinely good story, BRTD. If you fleshed it out a bit more and honed your writing style some of the more weirdness-centric journals might take a second look.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 02:18:13 AM »

Hats off to you, pal... I am enjoying this.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 11:32:57 PM »

All of this happened, if it happened in the order as told I can not promise. But I don't think that matters. This has caused me to wonder if I have some borderline eidetic memory condition, because I can vividly remember this all. But I do know for sure I was in a school lab sending off an email with my final paper to one of my classes, thus concluding my fourth semester and second year of college. A fairly anticlimatic year until recent months, as described in previous threads. The complete culture shock of transitioning from high school to college and the partying was not there. But the new chapter was coming, my own apartment. I was now a full time resident of Minnesota. I now had permanent access to Minneapolis. I checked out with my CA, who signed off and told me she was living at a nearby apartment so we should party sometime, sold my textbooks back, and headed back to my apartment that my parents helped me move into the week before.

Day 1

One of my concerns ended today, I got a call from a job I had interviewed for. The data entry job would hire me. I start sometime in mid-June. That still gives me about a month, well closer to three weeks of pure freedom. I have the savings to make it until then. Complete freedom from any type of societal obligation. This will be the most wonderful time ever. No internet yet, but no problem, the school lab is still open and not too far away to walk. I went to Blockbuster and rented Hitman: Contracts and was up as little as I wanted. Even the fact my record player was busted and won't spin at the right speed anymore didn't deter me. This would be the best almost month ever.

Day 2

Waiting for the cable guy to show up to hook me up while I played the game was a torturous experience, but I made it through. Prior to that I headed off to the library to make sure I could get internet access if my apartment's ever went down and the school lab was closed. Mission accomplished, got a card...but I found out they limit you to only one hour per day. Enough time for now at least. Found an old book in the boxes somewhere: The Dictionary of Misinformation. So fascinating. Played some more games, picked up a Playboy special edition at a nearby gas station, read some old hardcore zines. Interview with the Revolutionary Three, turned to politics. Oh God I wish I could smack that guy they're talking to, despite first saying he's likely voting Anybody But Bush he's not sure if he could vote for "anti-choice" John Edwards, Edwards is pro-choice you f**king dumbass! I guess 2000 Nader voters are NOT more informed. But regardless it's moot now. We have his vote for Kerry...in Florida.

Day 3

I'm still shaking the idea that I DON'T have something I have to attend to for school, no homework or studying. Maybe I shouldn't have sold my books back right away, they'd at least give me some interesting things to read. Have the internet, browsed MySpace, most people I know are back home now. Really no one to hang with for now. A little boring actually. Went to sell some plasma, won a $100 gift card to a sporting goods store I'll never use it at. But my brother would and I could sell it to my parents for him...and then buy a new record player. Today worked out. Despite the boredom taking its toll. I wondered what boiled records looked like, so I headed to the Salvation Army and got an old 45 for $0.25 and an old pot for about $3. Yep, it curls. Looks cool.

Day 4

I considered setting my alarm today, just because not having to do so was getting weird. But I didn't. Laid in bed till past noon. I had nothing to do today. No one to see, nothing to do, nothing to talk to. I am not with meaning. I might as well be a message board posting bot. Walked around at night looking for some parties. There were none. I shouldn't expect some this early, after all it's not even June yet...but what until then?

Day 5

This is an absolutely miserable existence. I do not matter. I have no effect on the world. I am nothing more than a few extra dollars to the retailers I visit. What could I do today? Maybe I could see a movie, there is a theater nearby...but nothing is playing I want to. I rented one. It killed two hours. That wasn't enough. I bought a new CD or two at the record store, no vinyl I was interested in. I went back to the mall and didn't buy anything, just wandered around hoping to run into someone I knew. Didn't happen. I'm almost done with my illegally obtained bottle of rum. And it was almost half full when I moved in here. Went for a walk, saw the campus Lutheran center, thought about going there for once this Sunday, which would be the first time I ever went to church of my own volition in college...actually you can drop the "in college" but still it's something...then remembered they aren't open in the summer.

Day 6

I woke up in horror. I couldn't go back to sleep, to where I had dreams that had meaning, and where things happened. I walked back to the campus, maybe I'd run into someone I knew there like I did all the time during the school year...nope didn't happen. Browsed the internet and the school's cool, fast, slick computers, far better than mine. There are other people in the lab, but they all look like exchange students, and what can we talk about anyway? I haven't said anything other than in monetary transactions the last week. On the way back I just had to call my mom. I told her about the gift card. She said she'd buy it from me when she came up in about a week and a half at my aunt's. Convo continued.

"So honey how are you doing in your new place and all?"
"Well good and all, just a little...lonely"
I'm still outside so I'm trying to avoid breaking up. I don't entirely succeed and start sniffling a little.
"Well remember we'll see you not too far from now. Anything happening for you, any shows or anything?"
"I'll...check. I don't know."
"Just hang in there and we'll see you soon."

I'm back in my apartment. Now I do break down. I dropped my phone on my bed and stared at it. I realize I could just pick it up and call her back, tell her that I was heading off first thing tomorrow morning, and would be staying at home for about two weeks and would not return prior to my job starting. But I didn't do it. I'm a big adult now, and the whole point of this place was to escape all forms of parental authority, including them owning the roof on my head. I just tried to tell myself it wouldn't continue to be this way.

Day 7

Today, I was doing something. I was heading off to my favorite place in the world. I was a short two hour drive from Minneapolis, and the best record store in the country (not my opinion, one shared by many people on the internet.) On the drive up I just thought about how this is indeed more trapping freedom. I can't do this every day even without any obligations. Picked up some records, headed back, thought of the empty landscape of the roads symbolizing the miserable hellish existence that I had to endure for perhaps not much longer but one more minute is too much. Get home. Log on the internet, and browse the local forum.

Holy sh!t a show. A last minute CD release celebration thing in the barn south of town. I ran out as fast as possible, hopped in my car, and headed off. Middle of the first band. Talked to the guy at the front and asked him how much. It's a free show! Now I am doing something. It's just local bands, none that I'm excited to talk about seeing 8 years later and no bragging rights. But it's something. It's people I can interact with. One of the guys from one of the bands announces his address and an after show party. I don't drink and drive...but I speed. I sped home, parked in the parking lot, ran off to the address.

There are people here...partying, having a good time. Met a girl I recognized from one of my classes, she lives downtown here. Met people I saw around at shows, talked about how much Bush sucks, convinced some people that we all needed to vote for Kerry. Got a ride home from someone I never met before.

Day 8

Woke up past noon. My societal obligations were no greater than they were the day before, but my loneliness was far less. Called my mom, told her I loved her, that I couldn't wait to see her, that I was feeling better. Didn't give the details, but she did sound so happy.

I've got two more weeks of this, but I can make it. And deep down inside I know once I become that working stiff cubicle drone I'm going to miss it. Time to enjoy it while I can.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 11:35:52 PM »

I look forward to reading this thread. Can't believe I missed it all week.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »

That really resonated with me, I could really sense the progression there. The show, the way it uplifted you, I should be less dismissive.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 11:46:38 PM »

This is amazing. I am enjoying this.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »

That really resonated with me, I could really sense the progression there. The show, the way it uplifted you, I should be less dismissive.

I hate to emptyquote in a thread like this, but this was pretty much exactly my reaction too.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »

Wait, all that happened many years ago,right?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »

Wait, all that happened many years ago,right?

Seems to be summer of 2004.
Insula Dei
belgiansocialist
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 05:02:53 PM »

Great stuff!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2014, 09:31:39 PM »

I should revive this. Especially with all the Ingress stuff (please note in most cases it's not really about the game, but about people.)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »

yo BRTD, what's the story with your father?  I don't recall you ever mentioning him.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2014, 10:49:45 AM by a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing »

What to know? From Parkers Prairie, MN, family of four siblings. Unfortunately he and his twin sister are the only two still alive. Worked as a teacher in Ft. Yates, ND, hence the move there, tends to do all sorts of jobs in Bismarck now, everything from dealing Blackjack at various bars or watching after developmentally disabled adults to being a janitor at a local church to one summer driving around delivering prescription drugs. One of those Minnesota sports fans who really hate the Packers, though not Wisconsin, yesterday I sent him and my mom a pic of a cool frozen waterfall I took, when he asked where it was and I said Chippewa Falls, WI he was excited as his favorite beer is brewed there (not sold in North Dakota, so he always stocks up tons whenever in Minnesota.) Also goes with my mom and some college friends on a big camping trip to Drummond, WI every year near the end of summer. He kind of likes the whole maps/geography stuff but not the political side so he does stuff like collect wood from different states so he can burn it at Drummond in campfires (like when I went to Dude Fest I had to make sure to bring back some "Indiana wood".) Spends most free time at a local sports bar playing NTN Trivia, a game most younger people are probably familiar with through Buffalo Wild Wings. Is as about obsessive on that and his scores as I am on Ingress stats and maps. Kind of a technological luddite. Still uses a flip phone and has no intention of ever changing that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies