Who Can Stop Dean
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 04:12:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who Can Stop Dean
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who Can Stop Dean  (Read 6990 times)
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2003, 07:15:58 PM »

That would be sweet!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2003, 06:00:51 AM »

See my comments in another thread about why I doubt that.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2003, 03:00:19 PM »

Someone will emerge as the anti-Dean candidate though at some point, and the race will become a 2-man race. Nominating contests almost always ultimately come down to 2 candidates before one wins. Dean must expand his base in order to win the nomination, and he will have to attract a significant number of voters who are currently supporting other candidates once those candidates drop out. So whose voters will go to Dean once he drops out? Kerry's? Most people here seem to agree that Kerry's support would not be likely to go to Dean. Lieberman's? Probably his supporters would go to Clark or Edwards. Gephardt's? More likely to go Dean, but still not definitively. Edwards or Clark? Probably not.
I'd be interested to hear what others here think will happen once other candidates begin dropping out, but it would seem to me that Dean is not the best positioned to pick up support from other candidates once they drop out. He only has about 20% of Dems now, so once the race becomes a 2 or 3 man race he obviously will have to expand on his base quite a bit.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2003, 03:21:58 PM »

well, perhaps Dean picks up the Kucinich/Sharpton/Braun supporters. Or maybe most of them will just go green or not vote at all.

If Lieberman drops out his supporters will splinter to Clark, Edwards, and Gephardt, not so much Kerry.

The Kerry supporters wouldn't bother with Dean. And Kerry is close to Edwards, so perhaps most of them will gravitate towards him and the remnants to Gep and Clark.
Apostle
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2004, 11:42:04 PM »

John Kerry has beaten Dean, but i think he will lose to Bush in the race.
Justin
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2004, 11:47:07 PM »

I think you should have included Howard Dean. That's clearly how he lost. His own gaffes and his temper are what cost him the nomination.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies