Romney flees from Mourdock as his rape comments go national
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:09:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney flees from Mourdock as his rape comments go national
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney flees from Mourdock as his rape comments go national  (Read 2374 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/23/mitt-romney-richard-mourdock_n_2007559.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Keep in mind that Mourdock is the only Republican candidate in the country for whom Romney has made a video ad.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »

I don't blame him.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:35:08 PM »

Thank god Mitch McConnell is almost guaranteed to never become majority leader.
HST1948

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »

Romney's not stupid... he's in the race of a life time and knows anything, including connections to an idiotic Senate candidate, can make a difference.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 10:43:33 PM »

why is this Tea Party guy the only one Romney made a video for? There are other Senate candidates in other red states in tough races (MT, AZ, ND). Seems weird to just help this guy out. Especially as he is a complete jerk.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »

Seems weird to just help this guy out. Especially as he is a complete jerk.

In fairness, none of us knew that until just today. All we knew was he's an absolutely laughable campaigner.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »

Can Obama's Super PAC make an ad where they use part Romney's ad for Mourdock to tie him to him? That would be most excellent.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »

Richard Lugar wont even campaign for him. This guy is a tool. I saw an interview with him the day after he won his primary. He was asked how he would work with Dems in the senate and he said something to the effect of "I'm willing to compromise as long as they agree with me" Even Paul Ryan had to distance himself from Mourdock
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/paul-ryan-richard-mourdock_n_1857097.html
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:51:59 PM »

I would love to know what the Mormon God thinks about rape, abortion, and the intersection of the two.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »

Can Obama's Super PAC make an ad where they use part Romney's ad for Mourdock to tie him to him? That would be most excellent.

Unless they can tie him directly to Mourdock's hideously ignorant comments, I doubt it would be worth the trouble. Romney was damn quick to pull his support.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »

Obama/Democrats best case scenario with this scandal is that it dominates the news for the next fews days (a la Akin, which ended Romney's Ryan-induced momentum) and maybe that a Romney advisor says something stupid. Beyond that I don't think it's really something you can make attack ads out of.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 11:13:47 PM »

well damn, Joe Donnelly gets a free seat!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 11:17:01 PM »

But the Republican nominee in Missouri said that legitimate rape can't result in pregnancy! It's time for an Akin vs. Mourdock deathmatch.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 11:29:59 PM »

Unlike Akin, there was no video of Romney standing next to the guy talking about how great he is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IuaZn9WfdQ
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 11:41:17 PM »

Jesus! We could have won the Senate comfortably and now we may lose in MO, IN and the pick ups of VA, FL, WI, and lose MA! If Romney wins and we have a democratic senate this will be horrible, other way around! other way around!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 11:48:21 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2012, 11:50:04 PM by PioneerProgress »

I would love to know what the Mormon God thinks about rape, abortion, and the intersection of the two.

Basically, they say it's not okay unless in a case of rape, incest, the life of mother is at stake, or the baby won't survive past birth anyway. Also, abortion as a form of birth control is not okay, but otherwise, birth control within marriage is up to the married couple. So quite conservative, but not as firebreathingly militant as some of the evangelical churches.

It's also one of the few issues I'm conservative on; I hold mostly the same position as the LDS Church. Though I must add that I wouldn't force my abortion position on anyone.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »

Unless they can tie him directly to Mourdock's hideously ignorant comments, I doubt it would be worth the trouble. Romney was damn quick to pull his support.

Between Romney's recent endorsement of Mourdock (a chance to point out he's 'flip-flopping' again) and this being yet another instance of the "Republicans hate women" meme, I don't think they need a more direct link to hurt Romney. This is going to hurt as it is. The swing states are close enough that even a small swing could cost Romney close states, and thus the election.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 01:17:40 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2012, 01:32:15 PM by Gravis Marketing »

Jesus! We could have won the Senate comfortably and now we may lose in MO, IN and the pick ups of VA, FL, WI, and lose MA! If Romney wins and we have a democratic senate this will be horrible, other way around! other way around!

Romney + Democratic Senate will be just fine, you can bet that Landrieu, Begich, Hagan, Baucus, and possibly Pryor (and OF COURSE Donnelly) will go along with most of what he suggests and there will be enough other Dems to keep Reid from McConnelling the filibuster.  
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 01:21:56 PM »

Romney backstabbing a social conservative who is opposed to abortion? Never would have seen that coming either.

Is Romney trying to lose?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »

What a mess
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 02:40:22 PM »

Anyways, the comment of the lady Mourdock was talking about who was conceived in rape, she said, that she wanted to prove herself worthy and that, “I shouldn’t have been aborted and that I was worthy of living.”

Mourdock knocked that out of the park.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »

Anyways, the comment of the lady Mourdock was talking about who was conceived in rape, she said, that she wanted to prove herself worthy and that, “I shouldn’t have been aborted and that I was worthy of living.”

Mourdock knocked that out of the park.

Yes, he's clearly on the road to victory. Tongue
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2012, 03:05:09 PM by Likely Voter »

What some people dont seem to get is that Mourdock's comment boils down to "this is my personal moral and religious belief and I want it codified into law. I want to make something I personally don't believe in a crime. I want to force women to do something with their bodies because that's what I think Jesus wants. "

That just doesn't sit well with a lot of women, or men for that matter. And that is why Mitt Romney is distancing himself from the remark. But because Mitt is concerned about evangelical backlash, he hasn't pulled his endorsement and support (like he did with Akin). So the ad with Mitt will still run. So, again, he is trying to have it both ways.
Link
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »

Jesus! We could have won the Senate comfortably and now we may lose in MO, IN and the pick ups of VA, FL, WI, and lose MA!

Yeah I think this Tea Party thing and this idea of "primaring" solid established party operators with inexperienced loose cannons has run it's course.  You toss in the seat given away in Delaware and you really have to wonder what is happening at GOP HQ.  I really don't see how the Republicans don't control the Senate if they had simply calmed down and chose some competent people.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »

Oh, it couldn't be that he sees an unborn child as a person and that killing an unborn child is wrong?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies