Republicans and rape
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:36:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans and rape
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republicans and rape  (Read 1864 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2012, 04:42:46 PM »

Some of them seems really obsessed about the subject.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 04:44:44 PM »

Yeah, that's how you identify the straight ones.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »

Okay, rant time (you've all been warned):

Seroiusly GOPher candidates, what in the blue hell is up with you guys lately?  I mean yeah I know, you got to play up the culture war bullshit for the proles and all but I mean really?  This?  Talking about women getting raped so lightheartedly and acting all natural about it?  I mean really?

Really?

I'm kind of wondering what is up with all these crazies lately, man.  I mean, I thought the Tea Party was about bringing sanity back to government and all, not bringing insanity UNTO government.  I mean, is there some really sick disturbing joke going on in the Grand Old Party that I'm not aware of?  Like this is some huge experiment being conducted by party heads to see how much insanity the base can handle?  Is this some disgusting display to show that by running candidates who say extremely stupid shit about women who get raped while supporting fiscal conservatism (very funny guys) how the fiscal cons will just keep swallowing the yucky shit these morons are shoveling down their throats?

I mean wow, I truly am entertained.  I must say that the performances pulled out by the dozens (just a guess here, I lost count after the second yahoo, whoever that was, said some stupid shit) of Republican lawmakers, or people who want to be lawmakers, this election cycle is truly Academy Award worthy.  No screw that, this is fucking Oscar bait baby!  And me, I'm just proud, so damn proud that we finally have politicians out there who so willingly give the American people the politics they deserve.  That is, of course, useless, idiotic, monotonous pure grade A fucking bullshit.

[/apple sauce for these freedom fighters, please]
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »

I'm quite enjoying it.

I mean, it's horrible and shameful that serious politicians in 2012 believe these things...but them making it public only benefits their opponents, and that's an objectively good thing.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »

For some reason, whether abortion is allowed in cases of rape has become the main way the media chooses to frame the abortion issue, in spite of its irrelevancy to any law that has any chance of being enacted anywhere.  These politicians are just responding to this, in incredibly inartful fashion.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »

Reminds me of this great site from 2009. Man, remember the days when the Republican Party's only problem with rape was defending rapist defense contractors?
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 06:53:17 PM »

A lot Pro Lifers don't believe in abortion for rape, but most of us aren't dumb enough to take that position publicly.

Todd Akin, Mourdock, and the other geniuses who've said these idiotic things don't represent the Pro Life movement, the conservative movement, or the republican party IMO. They are fake, and are trying to win over fringe voters.

I'm extremely proud to be Pro Life, but I realize that trying to ban abortion in all cases, especially with rape or when a mother's life is endangered is a very flawed mindset that WILL hurt our movement more then help.

These  exceptions should be made so we can have a shot of banning abortion. Abortion is murder, and retards like Akin, and Mourdock are hindering the Right to Life movement.

Can't believe I'm saying it, but I wish Lugar was the nominee in Indiana. And I HATE Lugar.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 09:05:12 PM »

CountryRoads, the issue I think is that the "no abortion for rape" position is being defended horribly. If a politician says something like "it is still a human and has a right to life" it is much more tenable than when they try to hold to their position while dancing around it. It seems that is where Akinesque scenarios come about
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »

I don't understand the no abortion except for rape position. I think we all would agree that killing a rape baby after a birth is unacceptable. If abortion is truly murder, as much as killing a post-birth baby, why would a rape make it ok?
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:52:10 PM »

CountryRoads, the issue I think is that the "no abortion for rape" position is being defended horribly. If a politician says something like "it is still a human and has a right to life" it is much more tenable than when they try to hold to their position while dancing around it. It seems that is where Akinesque scenarios come about

I agree. I'm proud to say I supported Sarah Steelman in the primary.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:04:33 PM »

The issue is that there is this attitude in politics that your position does not have to be only tenable, but objectively and self-evidently correct in every possible sense. This leads to a lot of willful ignorance and a general unwillingness to have mature discussion of the issues. After all, admitting that the opposition might have a defensible point of view is just being a weak-kneed flip-flopper.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 06:09:58 AM »

The issue is that there is this attitude in politics that your position does not have to be only tenable, but objectively and self-evidently correct in every possible sense. This leads to a lot of willful ignorance and a general unwillingness to have mature discussion of the issues. After all, admitting that the opposition might have a defensible point of view is just being a weak-kneed flip-flopper.

True. Very true. Kind of makes me want to get elected and then go nut's for the remainder of my term.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 07:52:33 PM »

To be fair if the media and press people would not ask about rape the odds that the GOP candidates would bring it up is probably not that high. One should ask why is the media so obsessed with rape? My hypotheses: reporters are into some weird stuff. 
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »

It's the duty of reporters to expose candidates if they possess any serious character flaws, and many conservatives are sexist rape apologists so there's nothing wrong with exposing that. It'd be wrong not to.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »

What's so very strange about it is that it is such a proven vote loser; surely someone has pointed this out to these morons? Isn't that what campaign consultants and so on are for? In theory? Even if only to justify their wages.

Of course it's been mildly amusing to see people here who have made pretty foul remarks about rape themselves get so very outraged about all this. See also the bombing of civilians. Funny world.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »

I'm thinking this is part of a voter identification strategy, i.e "to rally the base"

On that note...
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2012, 09:20:15 PM by realisticidealist »

What's so very strange about it is that it is such a proven vote loser; surely someone has pointed this out to these morons? Isn't that what campaign consultants and so on are for? In theory? Even if only to justify their wages.

Presumably not everyone, including some politicians, assume positions based on what's politically expedient.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 09:20:24 PM »

Presumably not everyone, including all politicians, assume positions based on what's politically expedient.

Ah, the noble position of trivialising rape.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »

Presumably not everyone, including all politicians, assume positions based on what's politically expedient.

Who is mentioning anything about nobility?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 09:23:42 PM »

I think you're imagining things. Other than Akin maybe, I'm not seeing that, certainly not on here.

Oh, and obligatory comment about trivializing killing your child.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »

Who is mentioning anything about nobility?

It's implicit in the tone of that post... I think. It's... er... the clocks have just gone back so... but late and insomnia posting... so confusion is entirely possible.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »

I think you're imagining things. Other than Akin maybe, I'm not seeing that, certainly not on here.

'maybe'

lol
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 09:32:46 PM »

'maybe'

lol

Curses, foiled by pedantry.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »

Obligatory comment about inflammatory fundamentalist hyperbole.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 10:12:16 PM »

Obligatory comment about how maybe candidates for high office shouldn't say that women should basically get over something as silly as a little rape because Jesus or something.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies