Quebec Municipal Elections 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:39:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec Municipal Elections 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Author Topic: Quebec Municipal Elections 2013  (Read 25362 times)
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2013, 08:34:36 AM »
« edited: October 07, 2013, 08:38:07 AM by lilTommy »

Ahh you beat me Senator... but here's the link with lovely borough maps

A poll out!
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2013/10/06/denis-coderre-trone-au-sommet-des-intentions-de-vote-des-montrealais
It's from Le Journal so a conservative tabloid but...
Coderre - 39%
Bergeron - 23% (Leading in the Centre-Est)
Cote - 17
Joly - 16 (second in the Centre-Ouest & Ouest)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2013, 08:55:16 AM »

Joly must be some Anglo lover or Tory or something.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2013, 08:55:26 AM »

No, it's not a "conservative" newspaper. Their polling is done by Léger, which is probably the best Quebec polling company and they are usually neutral (with a very slight nationalist lean and a very slight rightwing bias, which may be hard to spot or invisible, at times).

Despite belonging to the same group than the Suns, it's way different (the founder, the father of the former boss, was a left-wing independantist, so...).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2013, 09:02:20 AM by MaxQue »

No, a French Liberal, supported by many NDPers. She was on Trudeau leadership campaign and studied in Oxford. She is working in a big PR firm called Cohn & Wolfe.

EDIT: Lives in NDG, she is the typical "latte liberal",
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2013, 09:27:36 AM »

I stand corrected, I saw the "Suns" relationship and just figured the paper was a right-wing rag.

Joly (I have a NPD/UCQ friend who looks to be supporting her) should be perfect to siphon votes away from Coderre in the west island and some central areas... but also attracts similar voters who Bergeron is going after. If those two eat each others voters, that could be enough for Coderre to win.
Cote's voters (who by now should just bold lol) are more likely to go Bergeron (who is second in Est, Nord and Sud-Ouest ) then Coderre or Joly no?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2013, 09:42:13 AM »

I stand corrected, I saw the "Suns" relationship and just figured the paper was a right-wing rag.

Joly (I have a NPD/UCQ friend who looks to be supporting her) should be perfect to siphon votes away from Coderre in the west island and some central areas... but also attracts similar voters who Bergeron is going after. If those two eat each others voters, that could be enough for Coderre to win.
Cote's voters (who by now should just bold lol) are more likely to go Bergeron (who is second in Est, Nord and Sud-Ouest ) then Coderre or Joly no?

Wow, NDP/UCQ/Joly is really a popular combinaison.
For Côté, I'm not so sure. Bergeron has an awful personality and he has alienated many people (anti-car policies at the Plateau, his far-left image, his strange declarations of the past, a scandal at Pleteau borough (council financing a association which was controled by Projet...) (he is a truther, too). Joly, being unknown, as alienated no one yet. And Coderre, he has so much name recognition than anybody likely to support is most likely already supporting him.

Then, again, being a municipal campaign, voters are swingy and not faithful. In 2007, Labeaume got 1% in the first poll and won in a landslide.

If anything, Coderre can only go down, Bergeron, as 2nd, might get useful votes to beat Coderre, Côté can improve if he begins to have more personality than a wall and Joly can only gain from more exposure.

Also, I doubt than any party will have a majority, given than none is running a full slate and local parties bloomed in a few boroughs.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »

Well, this will be a rather boring race. I predict an easy victory for Coderre. I would've said that before the poll too.
DL
Canada

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2013, 04:13:26 PM »

No, a French Liberal, supported by many NDPers. She was on Trudeau leadership campaign and studied in Oxford. She is working in a big PR firm called Cohn & Wolfe.

I was under the impression that virtually 100% of NDPers in montreal were backing Projet Montreal. why would anyone from the NDP support Joly?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »

I was under the impression that virtually 100% of NDPers in montreal were backing Projet Montreal. why would anyone from the NDP support Joly?

Because Bergeron is VERY controversial and authocratic. Most NDPers I know like Projet Montréal, but many don't like Bergeron at all.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »

I gather a lot of NDP supporters will be voting with a split ticket.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2013, 05:05:47 PM »

Well, most Joly voters will split their ticket, as she has not candidates everywhere. Anyways, it's easy to split votes, depending from wher you live you have 2 (Ville-Marie, the mayor and a city councillor) to 6 votes (Lachine, the mayor, the borough mayor, 2 city councillors and 2 borough councillors (the wards in Lachine are two-seaters)).
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2013, 06:38:22 AM »

Well, most Joly voters will split their ticket, as she has not candidates everywhere. Anyways, it's easy to split votes, depending from wher you live you have 2 (Ville-Marie, the mayor and a city councillor) to 6 votes (Lachine, the mayor, the borough mayor, 2 city councillors and 2 borough councillors (the wards in Lachine are two-seaters)).

I was just going to add that PM has 103 candidates for borough mayors, Councillors and borough Councillors; if Bergeron is that unpalatable, that's the advantage of a party system, you might see a huge increase in members but still lose the city-wide mayor, and maybe that's a good thing for PM. If they lose, they can focus on finding a "better" city-wide mayoral candidate next time... or draft Joly, I don't necessarily see her as being opposed to PM would she be?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2013, 07:00:11 AM »

That is unless PM is a bit of a cult of personality. Is the party nothing without him?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2013, 07:10:03 AM »

That is unless PM is a bit of a cult of personality. Is the party nothing without him?

I have a few friends who are working on PM campaigns, The party is very policy right, maybe at the beginning it might have been more Bergeron-centric but at this point the party seems to have grown into something bigger then a personality cult. They run Le Plateau were Bergeron is a city councillor not mayor. Since 2009 the party has developed its own reputation.
BUT i could be wrong, a montrealer might have a different perspective. For a comparison, i do not see this like Jack and the NPD were in 2011 were they were one and the same.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2013, 07:17:33 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2013, 07:20:22 AM by MaxQue »

I have a few friends who are working on PM campaigns, The party is very policy right, maybe at the beginning it might have been more Bergeron-centric but at this point the party seems to have grown into something bigger then a personality cult. They run Le Plateau were Bergeron is a city councillor not mayor. Since 2009 the party has developed its own reputation.
BUT i could be wrong, a montrealer might have a different perspective. For a comparison, i do not see this like Jack and the NPD were in 2011 were they were one and the same.

The complicated Montreal system allow a city mayorship candidate to run for city councillor at the same time (by being the runningmate of another candidate), but not borough mayor.

EDIT: And Municipal politics in Quebec are personalist, whether the parties are or not.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2013, 08:27:34 AM »

So, if Bergeron were to hypothetically get elected as mayor, his running mate would win his council seat?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2013, 09:21:20 AM »

So, if Bergeron were to hypothetically get elected as mayor, his running mate would win his council seat?

Yes. Janine Krieber, wife of Stéphane Dion. That Stéphane Dion. (in the Saint-Jacques ward, Ville-Marie borough).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »

Yes. Janine Krieber, wife of Stéphane Dion. That Stéphane Dion. (in the Saint-Jacques ward, Ville-Marie borough).

u wot m8

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:59 AM »

u wot m8

I think it was clear. She is Bergeron's runningmate. It illustrates well my point about cleavages being personal, not ideological in municipal politics.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2013, 09:42:56 AM »

u wot m8

I think it was clear. She is Bergeron's runningmate. It illustrates well my point about cleavages being personal, not ideological in municipal politics.

I know, I was just surprised. Is there some sort of Dion-Coderre feud I'm not aware of?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »

u wot m8

I know, I was just surprised. Is there some sort of Dion-Coderre feud I'm not aware of?

She is involved in Projet since 2 years and was vice-president of the political board of the party. It's not related to Coderre, given the timing.

In the same borough, the candidate in Peter-McGill is a NDPer (and president of the Park Avenue shopowner association), so...
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2013, 04:55:04 PM »

his far-left image, his strange declarations of the past

Mostly to do with his truther stance...or?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »

his far-left image, his strange declarations of the past

Mostly to do with his truther stance...or?

More his anti-car campaigning before he was in politics. He also denied than tobacco cause cancer, in the past (through I think he relented on that).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »

Nothing wrong with anti-car campaigning Cheesy
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2013, 05:54:20 PM »