Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:57:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting  (Read 7371 times)
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« on: October 26, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »

Look, the ad is disgusting because of the way it objectifies women as innately sexual creatures.  For the "party of women", the party that supposedly sees women more than pump and dump, the ad shows how low democrats will go to get votes.  I can't imagine that any of the feminist pioneers are happy about any of this.

For me though, it's unfortunately a reflection of our culture.  The vapidness, emptiness and narcissism of young adults.  They do live their lives in this manner: Nightlife and one night stands every weekend.  It's cool to sip on a nice cocktail or martini, where they discuss their phones, themselves and bring a gay friend (no offense by the way, it just is what it is) along so they can make fun of other people.  When they finish school, they demand to be serviced by government, over and over, and hopefully they will one day realize they were f...ed.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen it.  You can see it in the morning, when you are driving through town and see one of the hipsters walking around.  The blank stare, the obsessive need to consider themselves at every moment...  For a bunch of democrats who complain about republicans being acolytes of Ayn Rand, I must say, they sure are self-absorbed.  You can also see how drained they are and the toll it takes to pretend you're better than everyone else each day. 
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:29:49 AM »

Look, the ad is disgusting because of the way it objectifies women as innately sexual creatures.  For the "party of women", the party that supposedly sees women more than pump and dump, the ad shows how low democrats will go to get votes.  I can't imagine that any of the feminist pioneers are happy about any of this.
You really don't understand what feminism is do you? Its about empowerment. The whole part of you missing the joke aside, the idea that yes women would like to have sex and enjoy is a thing. People that support women's rights also support the rights of women to be ok with being sexual. Even in innuendos. If she was dancing around in a bikini, that would be objectification. This, is a woman being a woman. Deal with it and welcome to the 21st century.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I don't think you know many young people. I've never run into a person between the ages of 18 and 30 (aka, those hipster kids these days) who demands to be serviced by the government. I've met some who are pissed that their degrees are worthless thanks to the economy tanking 4 years ago. I've met some who are pissed that they're being forced to play by a different set of rules than those who already made it. And I've met some who are happy to run off to wall street, to live in a bubble far from the difficult things in the world like working hard, where they get to drink those martinis, live a perpetual nightlife, and do all those horrible things that you seem to hate, all after declaring their unyielding fealty to the GOP.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ah, you confuse cultural trends to being in a ideological cult. In the 80s you'd of been complaining about those punks with their neon hair. In the 60s, those hippies and their bellbottoms. Maybe you just hate young people? (which is even funnier if you're younger than me) Did a wild pack of young people kill your entire family or something? Get a life and relax. People grow up and get off your lawn and get their own. And then new young folks show up with new trends that you hate. That's life.
Wrong - feminism in part sprang up because women were being objectified as sexual objects.  Up until the movement, it's been a common belief throughout most of history that women were cheaters and desperately wanted sex and that's why they needed to be controlled.  The moment they saw another man, they would throw themselves at them...etc.  Have you ever heard the phrase "She wanted it" in defense of a sexual harrassment claim.  The feminism movement was about breaking that stereotype by being successful, career driven, individuals who take strength in their innate abilities, not their gender role.  Lena Dunham is an idiot being an idiot, not a modern female pioneer of the 21st century.

Wrong again, I am 28 and actually I do know plenty of young people demanding to be serviced by the government, from healthcare to a living wage to everything in between.  One such example, a person on unemployment I knew said that he took two months off for himself while collecting because he deserved it.  Also, I would ask what those degrees are prior to making judments about their worth.  Not all degrees are created equally - Medieval Studies as opposed to an engineering degree.  Those individuals are not being forced to play by "a different set of rules" than those who made it.  They need to do their time and stop demanding instant gratification.  It didn't come that way for most wealthy people (other than the ones who have wealth by birth).  And about running off to Wall Street, you don't think that having that level of mastery of finance is hard work?  I don't understand it and I'm a pretty intelligent individual.  Most of those people start very low on the totem pole in that world, some never achieve anything through it and lots go belly up.  You seem to take the film version of Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps and all the TV shows to be truth about what it actually is.

I don't hate young people at all, but I dislike the decadence of this generation's youth.  80s youth culture doesn't bother me at all, especially the punk movement.  The punk movement was never about decadence and me, me, me all the time. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies