CO 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:11:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CO 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CO 2014  (Read 15289 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 26, 2012, 11:29:15 PM »

For mostly Colorado members (though everyone is welcome), who do you think will run/would have a decent chance of running for

US Senate
Governor
Attorney General
CD-6 GOP Primary (If Coffman runs for Gov or Senate)

I think Suthers will go for Governor. Coffman for either Senate or Governor. Norton will go for Senate again. I'm not sure who the new players will be.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:18:28 AM »

I fear we have no bench and Coffman may need to win 2014 to solidify the new district before moving on.

There are darkhorses that could may an impact. Cheri Gerou, moderate, very charismatic, her district is the mountain part of Jefferson County. Libby Szabo, Latina women, though she was just elected Asst Minority Leader in the House and would have to give up her seat if she won a primary.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:16:59 PM »

Popped up in my mind today...what about Scott Storey? He's the Jefferson County DA, already very popular, and if he's the chief prosecutor for the Jessica Ridgway case. If he can get Austin Siggs away for life between the 17 counts brought to trial, he'd be a hero. Not that our priority is being tough on crime, but he could pose a strong challenge against Udall who can be seen as too much of a peace loving hippie.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 11:11:49 PM »

Greg Brophy and Bob Schaffer (yes the horribly failed 08 candidate) are thinking of going for Governor.

Bob Beauprez would be a good option. Yes his campaign failed in 06, but seeing him as a surrogate across the state for Romney, he's a pretty amazing and fiery speaker who definitely has the hearts and minds of the party (if he didn't in 06...especially coming out of a brutal primary that never really happened).
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:42:08 PM »

Republicans are in a terrible position in Colorado. And the worst part is that the party's base in the state isn't moderate at all — it's quite religiously conservative.

worse, we basically have two republican parties opposing each other.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »

I expect Jane Norton to beat Udall in 2014.

Udall is an incumbent human. Norton is an already failed robot in an increasingly democrat state who is seen as both a conservative extremist and a liberal. Next
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »

Gregg Brophy is apparently testing the waters. I think he's term limited in the legislature now, so I'd see no reason not to, especially for Governor. I mean nobody will run, you already know you're going to lose and it's not like you'd lose your own seat in the process and in the off chance somehow in the campaign you can win, you go for it and seize the day surprisingly. He's very corky...but John is also sorta funny looking too.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:55:06 PM »

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see an attempt to primary Hickenlooper from the left wing of the Democrats, but doubt it could succeed.  Between his support for fracking in direct opposition to local communities, his crackdown on Occupy Denver, and his extremely tepid support for decriminalized marijuana,  he hasn't exactly made himself loved by Colorado's leftists.

Coffman is the best hope for state-wide, he did win SOS with 51% of the vote in '06 which was the beginning of the end for Rs in CO. Not to mention two decades of ID not just in his district, but state-wide office. I'm not sure who'd replace him though in the 6th. Romanoff or Morgan Carroll would run on the dem side and both could have a strong challenge to an open seat barely leans R.

He did orchestrate the stunt to get civil unions through the legislature making McNulty look like a fool contributing to the resounding R defeat in the House. I don't think there's anyone far enough to the left to challenge him. When people start talking 2016 presidential run...it's hard to challenge that guy and have an actual name.

Furthermore I've heard Gessler (SOS) may be the sacrificial lamb for the governor's mansion which is good because SOS can be won by republicans...just not with him as an incumbent.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 06:25:23 PM »

State Senator Ellen Roberts' name is floated for a run (no idea if she'd actually want to do it). She's a true moderate from Durango in the SW. Very popular outside of the GOP, picked up a democratic senate seat in 2010 after a few terms in the house (lost the GOP convention 2-1, but one the primary....nothing says I'm a moderate when you're in CO like that).

Her main focus is health care and rural issues. Rural CO has always disliked Hickenlooper and distrusts Denver. Of course, Udall is the seat to go for, but she's probably the strongest option against Hickenlooper. Although two respective moderates of their own parties probably will lack enthusiasm from the far left and more importantly, the far right.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 03:49:11 PM »

My advice for Republicans, find somebody who is a strong candidate in 2014 to run as govenor. John Suthers would be a viable choice to run in 2014.

If that doesn't work, Republicans should flee the state cause it's only going to become more Democrat, alot like California. Look what is happening to California, people are moving out of the state in droves.  That will happen to CO next decade, guaranteed.

We don't have a bench to afford running someone strong against Hickenlooper at the moment. Suthers would be great state wide, best use him to take on Udall.

And to the newbie, Coffman has never lost an election. He's been playing politics for decades (House and Senate in the 90s), elected state-wide to Treasurer and SoS. Both the tea party and establishment love him, which is hard to come by these days in Colorado. Yes he took heat because of these calculated moves running for congress to win the conservative support for a state-wide office he's always wanted to run for, but he still won re-election and now he's a unifying figure for the party. Furthermore, while 2016 may be more democratic than 2014, 2012 is midterms where minorities turn out less (not to say democrats don't have the upper edge looking at 2010), but they aren't starting with another huge leap forward liberally from 2012.

And CU is an extremely liberal institution with Boulder being solidly liberal, not lean. When was the last time republicans were actually competitive there?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »

AG- This is going to be the real marquee race. The Republicans will have a choice between Tea-Partyin' Ken Buck and establishment candidate Cynthia Coffman (Mike's wife) and the Dems will choose between Boulder liberal DA Stan Garnett or Adams County DA, and Salazar protege/moderate Don Quick. Don Quick would easily win election statewide, but has less $ than Garnett so might not survive his primary. Quick vs. Coffman would be the most competitive race, but I sadly think that Buck vs. Garnett is more realistic. This will be a close one unless it is Quick vs. Buck.

Ken Buck? Godpleaseno

SoS- This will also be a real interesting one. Jeffco Clerk Pam Anderson--related to GOP icon Norma Anderson--will likely be taking on CU Regent Joe Neguse. Gessler sh**t all over this office, but Joe is very liberal and not as well known. It's a tossup

Is Gessler not running for another term?

Gessler is plagued with scandals, if he runs for a second term it would be an easy dem pick-up. He's been setting his sights on the Governor's Mansion since he got into office- I don't know who he thinks he is he has no support but he got a fundraiser going off of it last winter/spring. So we all hope he runs for something else so we can win SoS
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »

Anyone hearing anymore news?

I can't even find out if someone is going to challenge Ryan Call for State Chair, obviously from the tea party/right. The man is smart with legal stuff, but he can't lead only half a party and win a state race. I honestly don't know who can unite both the far right and the moderate establishment as state chair, or as the Senate candidate (assuming we aren't going to try for Governor barring an amazing dark horse)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 12:25:15 PM »

Josh Penry is being recruited by Chairman Ryan Call for Governor. What a weak candidate
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »

Josh Penry is being recruited by Chairman Ryan Call for Governor. What a weak candidate

Isn't he that charismatic 30-something wunderkind who was once hailed as the future of the Colorado Republican Party?

And which legitimate Colorado Republican would actually consider running against someone as popular as Hickenlooper? Seems like a better bet would be Senator, where they'd actually have a chance of pulling off the win.

He dropped out for Governor last time around because of a major skeleton in his closet. Who he happened to marry after divorcing his wife when he bowed out from the race. Then again, Hickenlooper is no picturesque guy for marriage either....or Bill Owens. I guess its just part of being governor of colorado now.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »

It should, but it's a free ride without someone to face him. Please, can an amazing darkhorse/unknown just announce? We will support you!
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »

There are rumors of other potential candidates from the legislature, all lack-luster and Penry is still being touted for Governor by the Chair.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »

Well Hickenloopers disapprovals have doubled and Beauprez is within 7 without half the state knowing who he is and the rest remembering him only as "Both Ways Bob" we are actually in much better shape than I that. I think he's the only one who can win state wide and its an uphill battle.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 12:30:19 AM »

Tim Foster, President of Colorado Mesa University is considering. He was a big republican icon in the 90s in the legislature. I watched a video of him speaking on education online, he's a decent speaker, but clearly Colorado Mesa is underwhelming academically when the greatest recent innovation at the campus is the use of clickers so faculty can see where students are in real time...welcome to 10 years ago...
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »

Basically no one is interested in running against Udall and there's a lot of quiet chatter for less known candidates against Hickenlooper.

State Sen. Randy Baumgardner, R-Hot Sulphur Springs (rural Colorado would love this)
Arapahoe County District Attorney George Brauchler (1 year on the job and has the Holmes case)
State Rep. Owen Hill, R-Colorado Springs (very young in office 1 year)
former Senate Minority Leader Mike Kopp (resigned when his wife died)

And AG we may have a three way race.
Cynthia Coffman (the number 2 now) and Mike Coffman's wife is already in.
House Minority Leader Mark Waller just announced (give fight next week for his replacement between Libby Szabo and Brian Delgrosso)
And Ken Buck may get in after all (everyone was waiting for him in the first place and then he got cancer but now he's cancer free granted he's also in remission). Still he's making the rounds and looking good
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 08:17:01 PM »

update

Owen HIll looking at udall not hickenlooper and Ken Buck is flirting with the bid against Udall. Honestly that's not a bad idea. He's been vetted, there's nothing more to come up with on Ken, he's learned from his mistakes and he's well established. He still probably has no shot.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »

Baumgardner is announcing Friday in Grand County. Any national headway he makes will be because of his trademark mustache. The only chance he could win a primary is if there's a lot of front range republicans to split the vote while he solidifies the rural hold. If we're going to lose to Udall, I think we should run him. It gives rural Coloradans a way to shout their opinions instead of secession.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »

Owen Hill announced for Senate!!! The only candidate who can lose and still have a good career after the race. He'll be an excellent candidate with military, small business, and charity background, a picture perfect family, and a very young face to bring youth to the republican party.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »

DelGrosso won over Szabo for House Minority Leader after Waller resigned the leadership position to run for AG against Cynthia Coffman. He was considered the establishment and moderate pick over Szabo who's a conservative (although she's pretty much establishment herself)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 11:02:02 PM »

Greg Brophy is kicking the campaign off on Sunday in Parker for Governor

Owen Hill had 15,000 on his town hall phone call kick off on the 10th
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »

Jaime McMillion announced at a gay pride parade for US Senate. Former write in candidate for Congress. Fiscal conservative ish and socially liberal. Once was a democrat...I really don't see why he's a republican because he's still more in line with the democrat party. Anyway, nice website but I don't see how he'll make any progress getting 30% of the delegates who are very conservative.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies