Romney doing better in automated polls, not so good in live polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:07:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney doing better in automated polls, not so good in live polls
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney doing better in automated polls, not so good in live polls  (Read 2520 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
« edited: October 27, 2012, 10:47:52 PM by Likely Voter »

In the last week there have been 34 polls done in the nine battleground states. Of those Obama lead in 16, Romney lead in 10 and 8 were tied. However, most of Romney's leads come from automated (IVR polls) which don't contact cellphones (and have lower response rates). Romney only leads in two of the live phone polls and none of the IVR+Web polls (web used for those w/o landlines).

O    R    T
IVR    5   8   5
IVR+  3   0   1
LIVE  8   2   2

Here are all the polls state by state where you can see a pattern that Obama generally does better in the live phone polls (which are the types of polls the campaigns use internally). This seems especially true in OH.

OH   CBS     Obama +5   [Live]
OH    Time   Obama +5   [Live]
OH   CNN   Obama +4   [Live]
OH   SUSA    Obama +3   [IVR+web]
OH   Purple   Obama +2   [IVR+web]
OH   Suffolk   Tie   [Live]
OH    Rasmussen     Tie   [IVR]

WI   MasonDix   Obama +2   [Live]
WI    Rasmussen     Tie   [IVR]

NV   PPP     Obama +4   [IVR]
NV   NBC    Obama +3   [Live]
NV   Rasmussen     Obama +2   [IVR]
NV   Gravis     Obama +1   [IVR]

NH   UNH   Obama +9   [Live]
NH   NEC   Obama +3   [Live]
NH   Rasmussen     Romney +2   [IVR]

IA   Gravis     Obama +4   [IVR]
IA   Rasmussen     Tie   [IVR]

VA   WaPo   Obama +4   [Live]
VA   Purple   Tie   [IVR+web]
VA   Gravis     Tie   [IVR]
VA   FOX   Romney +2   [Live]
VA   Rasmussen     Romney +2   [IVR]

CO   PPP     Obama +4   [IVR]
CO   Purple     Obama +1   [IVR+web]
CO   NBC    Tie   [Live]
CO   Rasmussen     Romney +4   [IVR]

FL    Gravis     Romney +1   [IVR]
FL    PPP     Romney +1   [IVR]
FL   Rasmussen     Romney +2   [IVR]

NC   PPP     Tie   [IVR]
NC   Civitas   Romney +1   [Live]
NC   Gravis     Romney +8   [IVR]
NC   Rasmussen     Romney +6   [IVR]

Not surprisingly Rasmussen and Gravis account for 7 out of 10 of Romney's leads this week. The other three are an IVR from PPP and live polls from FOX and Civitas(R). Romney didn't lead in a single live phone poll outside of VA or NC (there were none done in FL this week).
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:04:38 PM »

No worry, he has the momentum.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the IVR/Live situation.  Romney is doing better in polls that are automated? 
wan
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »

Yeh enough momentum to lead in national polls rather than state polls. And win the popular vote and lose the electoral vote. The election is not over yet but it's looking good for obama.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »

IVR = interactive voice response = automated. Yes Romney does better in automated polling. The two distinguishing characteristics of IVR polling is lower response rates and no inclusion of cellphones.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »

IVR = interactive voice response = automated. Yes Romney does better in automated polling. The two distinguishing characteristics of IVR polling is lower response rates and no inclusion of cellphones.

That is interesting.  It might be telling in this election. 
rockhound
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:19:12 PM »

Bradley effect?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:19:54 PM »

Yeah, people who have no landline phone seem to favor democrats, even when controlling for age/race demographics.  538 had an article on this a while back.  
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 09:22:01 PM »

It comes down to turnout, I guess. Do we think the kinds of voters who use cell phones as their primary phones are likely to remember to show up and vote?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 09:32:10 PM »

I think it was there in some states, but not those.  Obama underpolled in NV in 2008. 

Does PPP contact cell phones?  The could be two different factors. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »

If I was supporting Romney, I'd be too embarrassed to admit it to a live pollster, too.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »

People still have landlines? Do they put them next to the 8 track and the typewriter?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »

None of the strict IVR firms can legally contact cell phones, including PPP. Some like SUSA and Purple have added an interactive web component to get to cellphone only people (hence IVR+). The result for IVR firms is their gross samples always start older and whiter than the adult population. They then make their own adjustments to try and compensate for this before applying their LV model. Some may be better than others at trying to turn a sample of landline only people into an accurate sample of America.

The irony is that this issue is a bigger issue this year than any other election and yet the this year also has a proliferation of IVR polling. Most of the state polling on RCP is IVR this year. That wasn't the case in the last two elections. 

This year has also seen the growth of Web polling (like from IPSOS), but RCP doesn't include those. This mainly effects their national polling numbers. Obama does better the web based polling, as can be seen in the regular tracking thread.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 09:42:20 PM »

Also noting that Obama does better when there is a Spanish language option...
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: -5.74

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 09:42:37 PM »

People still have landlines? Do they put them next to the 8 track and the typewriter?

Wow, thats snark worthy of any 13 year old. Regardless of what you may think, most people once they get a job and a house also get a landline. Just because your democrat friends have neither doesn't mean you should continue to stay so ignorant. Wink
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 10:35:12 PM »

Wow, thats snark worthy of any 13 year old. Regardless of what you may think, most people once they get a job and a house also get a landline. Just because your democrat friends have neither doesn't mean you should continue to stay so ignorant. Wink

Not just my friends. Neither of my sixty something year old parents has a landline and they haven't for years.  If you want to throw money away on a product that has zero utility, it's your business. I suppose there are people who buy overcoats in Hawaii too.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 10:50:39 PM »

Also noting that Obama does better when there is a Spanish language option...

That was my next question.  Thank you. 
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »

I do not believe that any of the polling companies above has a Spanish language option. There is one company that has done it and shown a marked improvement for Obama. 538 did a blog post on it.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/oct-13-arizona-and-the-spanish-speaking-vote/
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 11:00:53 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2012, 11:02:58 PM by Orion0 »

I do not believe that any of the polling companies above has a Spanish language option. There is one company that has done it and shown a marked improvement for Obama. 538 did a blog post on it.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/oct-13-arizona-and-the-spanish-speaking-vote/

Let's get real, English is the official language, and to be a citizen that much knowledge is necessary. To give Spanish language options you are opening the gates to a skew favoring non-voters, or at the very least unlikely voters. In Canada we give English and French options, despite having statistically significant speakers of dozens of languages.

Edit: not "official" language I know, but the language of administration at least.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 11:04:06 PM »

Well, the Spanish question is how many native Spanish speakers are fluent in English and do some of them feel more comfortable giving honest answers to a fellow Spanish speaker?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 11:06:29 PM »

Let's get real, English is the official language, and to be a citizen that much knowledge is necessary. To give Spanish language options you are opening the gates to a skew favoring non-voters, or at the very least unlikely voters. In Canada we give English and French options, despite having statistically significant speakers of dozens of languages.

Edit: not "official" language I know, but the language of administration at least.

Ballots are printed in Spanish in plenty (most? all?) places.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 11:24:54 PM »

It's not an issue of what 'should' be, there are enough people who aren't confident in their English who vote... and are entitled to vote. If polling isn't taking that into consideration - then they're doing themselves a disservice at the very least.

If there's some evidence to suggest that under polling of Latinos, which there is in NV, CO, AZ then it should at least be looked at.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 11:25:22 PM »

Yeah, this is just ignorant. I've registered Latinos in my county who couldn't speak English but have Photo IDs/Passports and will be voting in this election. The same ways they use to determine LV in IRV in English can be used in Spanish as well.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 11:31:17 PM »

Yeah, this is just ignorant. I've registered Latinos in my county who couldn't speak English but have Photo IDs/Passports and will be voting in this election. The same ways they use to determine LV in IRV in English can be used in Spanish as well.

Oooooh an unverifiable anecdote from a partisan, I'm quaking in me boots. I just don't see people who cannot engage in the mainstream media as being the most reliable voters, period. They may be good candidates for democrats to bus into a polling station and tell them how to vote however... Wink
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 11:33:44 PM »

Um... Apparently Wink is the international symbol for, I'm going to say something prattish, but then pretend it's good natured.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies