The Map expands to Pennsylvania
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:34:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Map expands to Pennsylvania
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Map expands to Pennsylvania  (Read 1974 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/264595-pro-romney-super-pac-launching-pennsylvania-ads
https://twitter.com/michaelpfalcone/status/262938082771341312

Restore Our Future, a super-PAC backing Mitt Romney's campaign, is launching a major ad buy in Pennsylvania for the last week of the campaign, the group has confirmed to The Hill.

“We’re going to go up as well," Jim Messina says of an Obama campaign Pennsylvania ad buy
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »

Just like in 2008!
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »

Polls show Obama has advantage in Pennsylvania, but many are undecided. Krazen, what are Romney's realistic chances there?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »

The Romney campaign is desperately looking for a path to 270. The Obama campaign is just playing it safe here. As long as they respond in equal measure to any Romney attacks, these states should remain safe.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »

$1 mill is not a major ad buy. Team Romney has so much money they can't spend it all effectively in the swing states so they are spending a little in PA trying to get Obama to spend resources there.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »

Doesn't Mittens plus his PACS have more remaining dough to throw around at this point, than team Obama?  It appears that Mittens held back until the last two weeks, to drop much of his money dime.  
wan
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/264595-pro-romney-super-pac-launching-pennsylvania-ads
https://twitter.com/michaelpfalcone/status/262938082771341312

Restore Our Future, a super-PAC backing Mitt Romney's campaign, is launching a major ad buy in Pennsylvania for the last week of the campaign, the group has confirmed to The Hill.

“We’re going to go up as well," Jim Messina says of an Obama campaign Pennsylvania ad buy

Didn't McCain already try this in 2008.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:45:43 AM »

Doesn't Mittens plus his PACS have more remaining dough to throw around at this point, than team Obama?  It appears that Mittens held back until the last two weeks, to drop much of his money dime.  

If anything it's a dump to help Smith.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »

Haha:

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »

I'm happy to see him waste his money here.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »

While I don't watch a great amount of TV, there's been a modest uptick here in western PA on both sides. Yesterday during the Steeler game, for instance, I actually saw a couple pro Casey ads! I couldn't believe it. On the radio there's been the same pro Smith ad running forever, but other than that, over the summer and into Sept. it had really kind of dried up. I suspect it's just a late push.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »

His PACs have to pay commercial rates for ads while Obama and Romney campaigns get special discounts, so that lessens his advantage a lot.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »

His PACs have to pay commercial rates for ads while Obama and Romney campaigns get special discounts, so that lessens his advantage a lot.

Adelson can afford the higher rates bless him.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »

Not funny, try again.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2012, 12:26:50 PM by memphis »

Just like in 2008, the GOP has already lost OH because of early voting. PA doesn't have early voting and is all there is left. It's incredibly unlikely to be helpful, but it's all they can do. It's analagous to all the deliberate fouling in the final minute of a basketball game.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »

I hope the map looks like that. Even if it means we lose Casey's Senate seat, it would still be hilarious and worth it.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »

Fail.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 11:51:32 AM »

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »

I hope the map looks like that. Even if it means we lose Casey's Senate seat, it would still be hilarious and worth it.

Please no. Do you want me to live in a Romney state? Sad
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2012, 01:11:43 PM by Likely Voter »

Well this is not really an expansion as Restore our Future had already spent over $4M in PA. Other Romney SuperPACs spent another $8M up through August, but they stopped in September. Obama's campaign had also spent $5M to counter the SuperPAC spending. The Romney SuperPACs have also spent in MN and MI and even NM this year and I wouldnt be surprised if they did some more in the last week. They have tons of cash and are getting diminishing returns in the battlegrounds.

I think the map truly expands when either Romney or Obama visits the states. The most precious money is campaign money as that is the money that gets the reduced ad rates. I suspect that the GOP PACs are somewhat trying to do Romney a favor by throwing money around to force Obama to spend his campaign cash outside of the battlegrounds.  I doubt we will see Romney spend any of his campaign money, but we may see the GOP spend some in PA. I actually think PA could be a smart move to try and work around a loss in OH. There is no early voting and so Obama loses that early vote advantage.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »

Just like in 2008, the GOP has already lost OH because of early voting. PA doesn't have early voting and is all there is left. It's incredibly unlikely to be helpful, but it's all they can do. It's analagous to all the deliberate fouling in the final minute of a basketball game.

That many early voters are going to regret by election day how they voted eh?  Hey, that is a good reason to nix early voting isn't it?  I mean, all those pangs of despair and depression after the fact will simply exacerbate health care costs. That is not good!
dspNY
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »

This is a Hail Mary by the Romney campaign...OH and WI are slipping away, so they have to spend that money somewhere.

I don't know how many Pennsylvanians will appreciate the ad bomb or will be able to see it, since a good portion of the state will be without power this week due to Sandy
rockhound
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »

This is a Hail Mary by the Romney campaign...OH and WI are slipping away, so they have to spend that money somewhere.

I don't know how many Pennsylvanians will appreciate the ad bomb or will be able to see it, since a good portion of the state will be without power this week due to Sandy

The storm looks like it may impact Philly more than the rest of the state.  That could have an impact, as that is the most heavily Dem part of the state.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies