MA: Fair Minimum Wage Act (Withdrawn)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:41:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Fair Minimum Wage Act (Withdrawn)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Fair Minimum Wage Act (Withdrawn)  (Read 761 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:42 AM »
« edited: November 20, 2012, 03:34:49 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
Sponsor: Tmthforu94
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:03:54 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2012, 12:08:11 AM by Gass3268 »

I propose an amendment:

During this time of economic hardship the last thing workers need is a cut in their pay. In fact they need the opposite, that is why I support raising the minimum wage.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:09:28 AM »

During these tough economic times, we shouldn't be setting a minimum wage that promotes outsourcing of jobs. Why would a company want to plant roots in America when they could do the same thing in Asia for a fraction of the price? Many small businesses, especially those that rely on high school students, could not afford to stay in business with these high of wages.

Tomorrow, I'll be seeing my former boss, who's daughters I'm friends with. I'm going to ask him what sort of an impact it'd have on his business if the minimum wage almost doubled to $12.00, and will be coming back with a report. I'll also be asking for some numbers from GM Shua, as well as doing my own research.

$10.50 is still a significant raise from where it actually is in RL, at least here in Indiana, a Mideastern state. If something this unrealistic would ever pass in RL, I fear for what effects it would have on the economy.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »

In American Michigan, minimum wage is like $7.40... this is WAY over that.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:25:08 AM »

I willing to compromise and vote on lower the minimum wage if we could add a few things:
- A grandfather clause that would allow for current workers to not see a drop in their wages and a clause that will prevent them from being fired/laid off because they are grandfathered
- Companies that provided health benefits can pay their employee a $1 less a hour, would be an incentive to provide health benefits
- Our new minimum wage is set to inflation
- Depending on where the tipped minimum wage is currently set, that we consider raising that

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »

Current RL Minimum Wages:
Illinois: $8.25
Indiana: $7.25
Kentucky: $7.25
Maryland: $7.25
Michigan: $7.40
Missouri: $7.25
Ohio: $7.70 ($7.25 for employers grossing less than $283,000)
Virginia: $7.25
Wisconsin: $7.25
D.C.: $8.25

So only Illinois and D.C. have minimum wages over $8.00. We're not being unreasonable at all here. In a perfect world, it would be great to have high minimum wages. Unfortunately, we have to be realistic here, and putting this sort of strain on small business owners, as well as encouraging outsourcing, is simply bad for our economy.

We're not proposing massive cuts - this is a buck fifty increase that is still WAY higher than what any states actually have, and it's still unrealistic in America. This legislation will bring MORE jobs to the Mideast region, and with so many still out of work, this is what is necessary.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:30:32 AM »

I willing to compromise and vote on lower the minimum wage if we could add a few things:
- A grandfather clause that would allow for current workers to not see a drop in their wages and a clause that will prevent them from being fired/laid off because they are grandfathered
- Companies that provided health benefits can pay their employee a $1 less a hour, would be an incentive to provide health benefits
- Our new minimum wage is set to inflation
- Depending on where the tipped minimum wage is currently set, that we consider raising that

I'll have to put some thought into your first proposal, but your second three seem reasonable enough. I'd still like to a GM analysis before any decisions are made. Smiley
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:48:12 AM »

I don't like meddling in another region's affairs, but I want to make sure that everyone is aware of this policy detail, because in my experience many Atlasian officeholders are not: The Atlasian workweek is 32 hours, so the pre-tax pay of  a full-time worker earning a minimum wage of $10.50 per hour in Atlasia is identical to that of someone in real life working 40 hours per week at a minimum wage of $8.40 per hour. (That's still higher than everything on Tmth's list.)

Did not know that and thanks for the information
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 12:51:05 AM »

I don't like meddling in another region's affairs, but I want to make sure that everyone is aware of this policy detail, because in my experience many Atlasian officeholders are not: The Atlasian workweek is 32 hours, so the pre-tax pay of  a full-time worker earning a minimum wage of $10.50 per hour in Atlasia is identical to that of someone in real life working 40 hours per week at a minimum wage of $8.40 per hour. (That's still higher than everything on Tmth's list.)

Ahh yes, I forgot they passed that last year.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 03:17:12 PM »

During these tough economic times, we shouldn't be setting a minimum wage that promotes outsourcing of jobs. Why would a company want to plant roots in America when they could do the same thing in Asia for a fraction of the price? Many small businesses, especially those that rely on high school students, could not afford to stay in business with these high of wages.

Tomorrow, I'll be seeing my former boss, who's daughters I'm friends with. I'm going to ask him what sort of an impact it'd have on his business if the minimum wage almost doubled to $12.00, and will be coming back with a report. I'll also be asking for some numbers from GM Shua, as well as doing my own research.

$10.50 is still a significant raise from where it actually is in RL, at least here in Indiana, a Mideastern state. If something this unrealistic would ever pass in RL, I fear for what effects it would have on the economy.

I would be willing to set the minimum wage at $11 per hour.  Would that be an acceptable compromise?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 05:40:30 PM »

I'm fine with $10.50, but I'd also support $11. I agree setting the wage at $13 would be a counterproductive measure.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »

I'm fine with $10.50, but I'd also support $11. I agree setting the wage at $13 would be a counterproductive measure.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that.  I don't think it should be raised at this point.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »

I propose an amendment:

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 09:18:13 PM »

I propose an amendment:

I can support this
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »

I see no problem deviating from the status quo.  This bill is unnecessary from my perspective.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »

I would like to withdraw my amendment.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States