Gallup predicts unemployment to fall to 7.0%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:28:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Gallup predicts unemployment to fall to 7.0%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Gallup predicts unemployment to fall to 7.0%  (Read 2303 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 11:40:09 PM »

We've been invested in this election for two years. You'd be disappointed too if the job numbers majorly bucked the trend four days before the election such that it eliminated your candidate's chances. An improvement that large erases two years of hard work. On both sides.

I'm all for seeing people get jobs. I just don't want it to be this month. And I'm not afraid to say it.
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2012, 11:48:32 PM »

We've been invested in this election for two years. You'd be disappointed too if the job numbers majorly bucked the trend four days before the election such that it eliminated your candidate's chances. An improvement that large erases two years of hard work. On both sides.

I'm all for seeing people get jobs. I just don't want it to be this month. And I'm not afraid to say it.

Which is why people dislike Republicans.
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 11:51:11 PM »

I don't think this job report matters, good or bad for either side.  There aren't any undecideds at this point. 
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 11:52:11 PM »

Just as many people dislike Democrats, what's your point?  This country is getting move divided, it might as well split into two countries.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 11:58:34 PM »

There's no way in hell that it will drop by that much (if it even drops at all).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2012, 12:08:15 AM »

There's no way in hell that it will drop by that much (if it even drops at all).

That about sums it up. When was the last time unemployment fell by 80 basis points, with nobody predicting it beforehand, or in the ballpark? The rate may indeed go up due to those "anomalies." Having said that, construction is coming back in Socal in the last month with a huge roar. It is like, OK, gentlemen, start your engines time. Suddenly, my roommate sees 20 new ads a day in the great OC. He has an interview tomorrow morning. Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 12:15:21 AM »

That about sums it up. When was the last time unemployment fell by 80 basis points, with nobody predicting it beforehand, or in the ballpark? The rate may indeed go up due to those "anomalies." Having said that, construction is coming back in Socal in the last month with a huge roar. It is like, OK, gentlemen, start your engines time. Suddenly, my roommate sees 20 new ads a day in the great OC. He has an interview tomorrow morning. Smiley

Yup, the Obama Economy truly is roaring back to life.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 12:17:31 AM »

What a horrible thing to say !
Everyday that some long-term unemployed people dont have a job, means that they go without food and shelter for their family.

Spanish Moss' comment and reaction to your (HagridOfTheDeep) post says it all :

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2012, 12:20:41 AM »

That is despicable!
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 12:22:08 AM »

The trend has been downward for two years. If it's accelerating and more people find themselves employed, it's all the merrier.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2012, 12:23:57 AM »

The trend has been downward for two years. If it's accelerating and more people find themselves employed, it's all the merrier.
People dropping out of the UE numbers because they run out of UE benefits and finding temporary seasonal jobs is not a recovery.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 12:26:21 AM »

Bro, could you change your sig?  There's only so much Ayn Rand staring into my soul I can take.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 12:29:07 AM »

People dropping out of the UE numbers because they run out of UE benefits and finding temporary seasonal jobs is not a recovery.

Lemmiwinks
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 12:45:16 AM »

Yeah, there's no way these numbers are right. But if they are, hoo boy...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2012, 12:53:39 AM »

I just think it would be hilarious to see Mitt Romney's reaction if they announce 1 million jobs were created last month tomorrow morning.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2012, 12:57:22 AM »

I just think it would be hilarious to see Mitt Romney's reaction if they announce 1 million jobs were created last month tomorrow morning.

"1 million new jobs since Romney inspired the nation with his first Presidential debate performance."
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2012, 12:59:22 AM »

The seasonally adjusted number is what's reported. They're predicting 7.4% for that.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2012, 02:27:46 AM »

Doubtful.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2012, 04:05:30 AM »

The seasonally adjusted number is what's reported. They're predicting 7.4% for that.

That'd be excellent (obviously). Not getting my hopes up.

That'd actually be damn close to the 7.2% that Reagan won his landslide reelection with.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2012, 05:43:21 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2012, 05:45:32 AM by Bain Capital »

Disgusting.

"1 million new jobs since Romney inspired the nation with his first Presidential debate performance."

"But don't worry, I like firing people, so I can quickly change it. If you make me President on Tuesday. I'm Mitt Romney and I approve this message."
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2012, 06:41:46 AM »

That about sums it up. ... Having said that, construction is coming back in Socal in the last month with a huge roar. It is like, OK, gentlemen, start your engines time. Suddenly, my roommate sees 20 new ads a day in the great OC. He has an interview tomorrow morning. Smiley

This is the key, Torie (and everyone).  Obviously Gallup's precise numbers/percentages here are way off, but they are getting at something real - the cyclical boom is beginning.  We'll see unemployment dropping by maybe 0.2 percent every month now and by the end of 2013 we'll be back at full employment.  This is just that nature of the highly cyclical neoliberal economy - without many stabilizers, its totally on-again-off-again boom and bust.

Another way to put this is it is precisely only one thing and one industry that has depressed the economy for the last four years - housing/property/construction (and related downstream areas).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »

Lolgallup
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2012, 10:54:55 AM »

So much for Gallup's predictions, epic fail.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2012, 01:16:59 PM »

I'm just going to say what other people in this thread are too afraid to: I will be devastated if these are the numbers.

Are you ing serious, dude?

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2012, 10:16:03 PM »

So much for Gallup's predictions, epic fail.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies