Rick Scott working over time to steal the state for Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:56:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rick Scott working over time to steal the state for Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rick Scott working over time to steal the state for Romney  (Read 1373 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »

http://www.bradenton.com/2012/11/02/4263448/florida-gov-rick-scott-not-likely.html#storylink=cpy

Citing long lines, a former Miami Beach state senator, the Florida Democratic Party and the League of Women Voters of Florida urged Gov. Rick Scott on Thursday to extend early voting.

But don’t expect the effort to go anywhere.

Top Republican officials in Tallahassee said Thursday an extension isn’t needed. And in Miami-Dade, the county with the longest lines, the office of Mayor Carlos Gimenez, a Republican who appoints the elections supervisor, said he has no plans to ask the governor for more time.

Top Republican officials in Tallahassee said Thursday an extension isn’t needed. And in Miami-Dade, the county with the longest lines, the office of Mayor Carlos Gimenez, a Republican who appoints the elections supervisor, said he has no plans to ask the governor for more time.

The likely result: more long lines for early voters and long lines for Election Day voters on Tuesday.

Other early glitches have been reported, too. Some Broward voters have seen delays in receiving their absentee ballots; the county elections supervisor’s office says every voter who has reported a missing ballot has been mailed another one.

One Broward voter encountered an unexpected wrinkle: She was purged from the voting rolls because she hadn’t voted in so long and because she didn’t respond to certified mail that warned her she would be removed because she had been so inactive, according to the elections office.

But the focus remained on in-person early voting, where voters are still facing three-hour waits at some Miami-Dade polling sites.

More than 3 million Floridians had voted early or by mail through Wednesday evening. Democrats lead in early voting, while Republicans hold the edge in absentee voting.

Between the first day of early voting Saturday and Wednesday, Broward averaged more than 28,400 voters a day. Miami-Dade averaged more than 26,300.

Among the early voters Thursday was Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade, who drew a crowd when he cast his ballot at the Stephen P. Clark Government Center in downtown Miami.

But he didn’t have to wait in the hour-long line. He had a proxy stand in his stead, as allowed under election rules.

Former state Sen. Dan Gelber, a Democrat who lost a bid for attorney general two years ago, asked Scott on Thursday to expand the early-voting period, which ends at 7 p.m. Saturday, to include Sunday.

“In parts of Florida many citizens — including veterans and seniors — have had to wait for as many as 5 hours to simply express the most fundamental right guaranteed to them in a democracy,” Gelber wrote in the letter Thursday morning.

Florida Democratic Party Chairman Rod Smith echoed Gelber’s request in a statement soon after. And Deirdre Macnab, president of the League of Women Voters, sent Scott a letter Thursday afternoon asking him to allow Sunday voting in counties with “high voter traffic.”

The delays, Macnab wrote, have resulted “from an increase in the number of registered voters since 2008, reductions in the number of days available to early vote and the unprecedented length of this year’s ballot...” The Miami-Dade ballot is 10 pages long.

Scott signed a state law last year reducing the number of early-voting days to eight from 14 and doing away with early voting on the Sunday before Election Day. The new law guarantees a Sunday of early voting and allows for up to 12 hours of early voting a day, for a total of 96 hours. Miami-Dade is already meeting that cap.

Before the League weighed in, Republicans pushed back against what they described as a partisan attack by Democrats, who tend to vote early in higher numbers than the GOP, which prefers voting by mail using absentee ballots.

“Florida has a law in regard to early voting — this law provides for 96 hours of operation for early voting locations, the exact same amount of hours as 2008,” Mike Grissom, executive director of the Republican Party of Florida, said in a statement. “That same law was approved by President Obama’s Department of Justice. The fact is simple as this: more Floridians have cast a ballot as of 5 days out than in 2008. For one side to demand that we break the law because they feel like they are losing is wrong.”

The actual number of early-voting hours in 2008 was not 96 hours but 120 hours. Former Gov. Charlie Crist, then a Republican, issued an executive order expanding the voting period after seeing long lines at the polls.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »

I really hopes Obama has a backup in case Florida and Ohio are close enough to be stolen.

The partisan administration of elections in the US is truly a disgrace.
rockhound
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »

Why would long lines be bad for dem voters?  It's not like they have to get to work.
Stirring Wolf🥣🐺
Xiivi
Rookie
France

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 01:02:21 PM »

I really hopes Obama has a backup in case Florida and Ohio are close enough to be stolen.

Losing OH + FL.  Still 15 EVs to spare; meaning he could lose 1 large swing state or 2 small swing states provided he carries the rest.
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 01:03:14 PM »

I love it. You people literally think it's impossible for states to vote republican. They ALWAYS have to be "stolen."

Grow up
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 01:18:58 PM »

Why would long lines be bad for dem voters?  It's not like they have to get to work.

Rockhound, stop being a troll.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »

Understatement.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 02:15:42 PM »

I love it. You people literally think it's impossible for states to vote republican. They ALWAYS have to be "stolen."

Grow up

Next time, actually read the article.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 03:13:30 PM »

My mother waited 1.5 just to vote on Wednesday, my cousins waited 2.5 hours to vote yesterday. Say what you will but all three of them did lose worktime just to exercise their right. Traditionally the entire family goes on Sunday to vote but of course the Sunday before election day was removed. An obvious hit to working class people like my family that usually work 6 days a week. 
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »

Bev Perdue should rig NC for Obama on her way out. Her political career is over anyway.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »

My mother waited 1.5 just to vote on Wednesday, my cousins waited 2.5 hours to vote yesterday. Say what you will but all three of them did lose worktime just to exercise their right. Traditionally the entire family goes on Sunday to vote but of course the Sunday before election day was removed. An obvious hit to working class people like my family that usually work 6 days a week. 

I find all kinds of wisecracks amusing, even cruel ones from the Bad Side, but it is posts like yours that make people like rockhound seem really awful.   Then again he's probably just doing a parody (I hope).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »

In my opinion, I think all states should have a uniform early voting schedule from the Monday three weeks (in this case October 15) before the election to the Friday before the election (November 2) including the weekends in between.  This would make it harder for governors to "rig" elections or for accusations of "rigging" to stand up.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »

Grow up

Exactly what I was about to say.
JFK-Democrat
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 05:40:30 PM »

Waiting 4 hours to vote is utter bs, what Democrats need to do is get these people out in the off years. If Democrats would come out to vote EVERY election this voter suppression BS would be less brazen!
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »

I find all kinds of wisecracks amusing, even cruel ones from the Bad Side, but it is posts like yours that make people like rockhound seem really awful.   Then again he's probably just doing a parody (I hope).

Parody or not it is the truth of the matter. My mom actually called me to add that she went to THREE polling places before settling at the one where she waited 1.5 hrs. She gave up lunch time she had this week. I'm glad she brought her coworker who would otherwise not vote too. He's a latent Obama supporter.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »

Grow up

This isn't problematic because it will hurt Obama, it's because it hurts democracy. Grow up.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 07:35:53 PM »

It is perfectly obvious what is happening here.

The Florida Democratic Party and the League of Women Voters are trying to steal the election in Florida for Obama.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »

Grow up

This isn't problematic because it will hurt Obama, it's because it hurts democracy. Grow up.

Unfortunately for Republicans, what helps Democracy seems to also help Democrats.

Still after all this time I'm waiting for the justification for why cutting early voting isn't just completely repulsive. The Voter ID s**t has at least been couched in fake concern over voter fraud, but there's still been absolutely no attempt to  even explain away the cutting of early voting and why that's so important; because there isn't a justification, it doesn't solve any sort of problem, it just needlessly cuts down the opportunities to vote.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 07:47:15 PM »

Losing OH + FL.  Still 15 EVs to spare; meaning he could lose 1 large swing state or 2 small swing states provided he carries the rest.

Virginia and Wisconsin have Republican governors. There!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »

Virginia and Wisconsin have Republican governors. There!

But they don't seem to be actively trying to influence the election.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »

What a bunch of amusing whiners. The excuses are starting...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »

Could you please explain to me the justification for cutting early voting time? What problem does that solve?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »

Could you please explain to me the justification for cutting early voting time? What problem does that solve?

Keeps the n**gers from voting.
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 08:04:59 PM »

Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 08:24:14 PM »

Whiners?! You think it's acceptable to wait 2-3 hours and take time of from work just to make sure the candidate you believe in is elected?!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies