Harry Reid: Senate Democrats would reject Romney's "far-right agenda"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:39:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Harry Reid: Senate Democrats would reject Romney's "far-right agenda"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harry Reid: Senate Democrats would reject Romney's "far-right agenda"  (Read 836 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »

Boy, Harry Reid can't stand Mitt Romney:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://influencealley.nationaljournal.com/2012/11/reid-to-romney-senate-dems-won.php

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »

If Romney wins but Ds maintain a 51-49 majority (best case D Senate scenario in the event of a Romney victory, pretty much), Joe Manchin basically turns into the Senate's single most powerful member. That could be fun. Doesn't he support healthcare repeal, or am I kidding myself?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:05:08 PM »

Whatever. I'm old enough to be able to remember the Bush Administration (unlike Vosem) and the Democrats barely stopped anything, and they won't do much to stop anything this time either. And if they tried I'm 1000% sure the Republicans would eliminate the filibuster if they took control of the Senate.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 10:14:43 PM »

If Romney wins but Ds maintain a 51-49 majority (best case D Senate scenario in the event of a Romney victory, pretty much), Joe Manchin basically turns into the Senate's single most powerful member. That could be fun. Doesn't he support healthcare repeal, or am I kidding myself?

If he does vote with the Republicans for successful Obamacare repeal, then he should be expelled from the Democratic caucus. \_/ as to whether that would hurt our majority or whatever.

Also, what would make you say a 51-49 majority a best case D Senate scenario? I'd say it'd be like 53-47.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 12:47:24 AM »

I think it's only a matter of time before Joe Manchin becomes a Republican. Moderate southern Democrats are becoming more and more rare, and many are just giving in and joining the GOP. (Miles, I'm watching you. Wink)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 12:49:02 AM »

Well, if history is any guide, he'll then be successfully primaried by a teabagger who says something awful about rape and then loses to a Democrat.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »

Switching to the Republican party would be career suicide for pretty much any Democrat.  Any member of the Democratic caucus is to liberal for the Republican party.  If someone like Manchin were to leave the Democratic Party, they would do much better running as an independent than trying their luck with the Republican primary electorate. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »

The filibuster needs to go. Reid reminded me as to why. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »

The filibuster needs to go. Reid reminded me as to why. 

Be careful what you wish for, Torie.  The 2016/2020 Dem agrees wholeheartedly.  He/she bids you a fond "Welcome to Scandinavia!"
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »

Everytime I look it Harry Reid, I am reminded how glad I am that the Senate has a fillibuster and a GOP willing to use it. A SOB like him in complete control of even a single branch of gov't scares the hell of me.

He is also practically cutting last minute ads for Fischer, Rehberg, Berg, Akin and Mourdock here with this comment.
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 05:49:09 PM »

Personally, I think there should be a filibuster in order to prevent a tyranny of the majority.

Anyway, you don't say this if you think it's in the bag for Obama. Reid's just throwing red meat to his base al they won't panic in the event of a Romney presidency.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »

The filibuster seriously needs to go. And I'll say this regardless of who is in the majority.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »

Yeah, the filibuster is pure crap.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 04:02:06 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2012, 04:04:01 AM by Marokai Béliqueux »

The filibuster seriously needs to go. And I'll say this regardless of who is in the majority.

The Senate needs to go.

Of course, that will never happen, but a boy can certainly dream about America having a unicameral legislature with a bunch of Wyoming Rule house districts that are independently drawn, automatic voter registration, centralized election rules on ballot design, early voting, poll closing, and registration laws, nonpartisan election administrators, STV voting, no electoral college, and entirely publicly financed campaigns. Sad
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 04:05:47 AM »

Whatever. I'm old enough to be able to remember the Bush Administration (unlike Vosem) and the Democrats barely stopped anything, and they won't do much to stop anything this time either. And if they tried I'm 1000% sure the Republicans would eliminate the filibuster if they took control of the Senate.

Pretty much. It's really pathetic how weak the Democrats are.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 01:47:43 AM »

The Senate needs to go.

Of course, that will never happen, but a boy can certainly dream about America having a unicameral legislature with a bunch of Wyoming Rule house districts that are independently drawn, automatic voter registration, centralized election rules on ballot design, early voting, poll closing, and registration laws, nonpartisan election administrators, STV voting, no electoral college, and entirely publicly financed campaigns. Sad

Indeed...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 04:04:50 AM »

The Senate needs to go.

Yes, but even getting rid of the filibuster is almost impossible in America...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies