Who would Obama want to succeed him? Who gets his political machine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:57:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Who would Obama want to succeed him? Who gets his political machine?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would Obama want to succeed him? Who gets his political machine?  (Read 765 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »

Assuming Obama wins, but neither Hillary nor Biden run, which 2016 Dem will be his preferred choice? He will likely play neutral in the primaries but he is going to have someone that he prefers. More importantly, who is going to get Obama's stuff? He has the best political machine and donor list the party has seen. He beat the Clintons and this year his GOTV operation is said to be better than Bush's in 2004. One behind the scenes nod from Obama and one of the 2016ers could be a  shoe-in for nomination and have the contact list ready to build a general organization.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »

He'd probably pick Schweitzer or Warner, though O'Malley would think he deserves it.
Cuomo is Clinton's successor if Hillary doesn't run.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »

I just noticed there is a 2016 board. Can a mod move this?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 11:42:29 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2012, 11:48:15 PM by NiK »

Clinton will get it if she runs, not that she needs it. Biden will probably get Obama's organization should he run, too, which is looking more possible lately (though by no means likely). As to who Obama wants to succeed him, not a clue. Not a clue. I mean we know about Nixon and Connally, and other presidents usually have heir-apparents (Carter-Mondale, Reagan-Bush, Clinton-Gore) who are already essentially locked in as the next nominee, but we don't have that again. I would say that Obama is probably a bit indifferent; if there's a lot of behind-the-scenes talk about Clinton, the assumption has probably already been drilled into his head that she will be the next nominee (and likely next president).

Otherwise, if they don't run, I'm real unsure about who is going to get Obama's toys. I don't think it will be Schweitzer or Warner, though. The former would be an upstart dark horse, and the latter will probably fade into the background, as there will be more "exciting" candidates running.

I'd bet on it being a split. No one candidate will get everything. Cuomo would take a lot of Obama's big donors, but the machine will probably disperse.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 03:24:01 AM »

I just noticed there is a 2016 board. Can a mod move this?

PM Bacon King and ask him to do it.  He's the mod of this board, so it'll have to be him.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 06:13:31 AM »

I'd say after Hillary savaged him in 2007/2008 he'd want someone like Cuomo or Warner, someone who is barely a Democrat - like him.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:52:33 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 03:18:47 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Bronco Bamma chose to help out a Warren bid. Like Warren, Obama comes from the extreme wing of the party, Obama wasn't exactly ready for the job, and Obama has a certain trait that generates buzz. I think the pair make for a good fit.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies