Politico: Obama will have no mandate because he will lose white men! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:47:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Politico: Obama will have no mandate because he will lose white men! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico: Obama will have no mandate because he will lose white men!  (Read 10938 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: November 04, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »

And the 95% of blacks voting for Obama gets little attention... this is not racism lad

It's not (ipso facto) racist for whites to lean Republican, but it is kind of racist to say that not winning whites means that an officeholder lacks a 'mandate'.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »

Can we please keep the classist undertones to a minimum, guys?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 01:02:32 AM »

Exactly. Republicans at least have enough of a simulacrum of respect for these groups to offer them wedge issues and cultural platitudes. Democrats who don't pursue some sort of actively ordoliberal (at least) program on bread-and-butter issues have nothing to offer them whatsoever, although Democrats who do can still win them depending on the circumstances (as we look likely to see in parts of the Midwest in two days, since even though Obama does have the tendencies that Progressive Realist is criticizing the way this campaign has been framed makes him more attractive on this basis than he would be otherwise, and Romney can't sell the cultural line as well as Bush or even McCain).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 01:46:33 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2012, 01:59:44 AM by Nathan »

You don't need to kiss ass to these people.  They're not worth your pandering.  They are literally dying out.  They are either too old to reproduce or, like Mike Naso, too repulsive to reproduce.  Their beliefs will die with them.

The biggest problem with many of these men is that they just assume they are educated and intelligent.  On the whole, every Opinionated Book Skimmer I've ever met has been apart of the prestigious white middle class male demo. 

But I repeat:  They're dying out.  You don't need to figure out how to bring them into the fold.  Nonwhites and women have a lot more to prove when they seek an education and as a result they learn more on the whole.  Educated women also control the reproduction of the species.  Keep these more educated voters in your circle and forget about the rest. 

You can still help them with policies, but don't let them dictate to you what needs to be done because they don't hold any power anymore and they don't actually know anything anyway.

No, I understand this point, but helping the rural working class is important to me as an ancestral member of the rural working class. Whether the people being helped are white or not doesn't particularly register in my scale of value once rural and working class are established, but I'm white so I'm sure there's some unconscious or semi-conscious bias there somehow.

Nicely played, shua.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 02:17:18 AM »

Take some of our fellow forumites like nhmagic, a white male, who thinks the world is going to collapse into chaos over the next four years and will probably be seen building an underground apocalypse shelter once Obama hits 270 on Tuesday night.  There is no populist message you can drum up to get this man to believe otherwise.  There is one thing you can do: win this election without his vote, leave in 2016 with 4% unemployment and a world that isn't post-apocalyptic, TAKE CREDIT FOR IT, and maybe then people like him will realize that liberal Democrats aren't evil.  

That's the plan. Fingers crossed.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 05:21:55 AM »

Obama isn't going to win, but if he did win while losing the majority of white men he wouldn't have a "mandate". The reason being that white men are the most powerful and productive demographic in America. They pay the majority of taxes, are the majority of business owners/politicians/important media figures/soldiers, and have overwhelming hegemony in a vast number of states.

So yeah, no mandate unless you win the most powerful demographic group.

Seriously, what the f***...
He won, I have to admit that. But he doesn't have majority support among those with actual control and influence in society(whom are principally white men), hence this can't be considered a mandate.

Mandates don't just come from 'those with actual control and influence in society'. Populist mandates are eminently possible, though rare in American history. Also, why on Earth are you using pronouns like BigSkyBob?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies