2016 Battleground States? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:18:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  2016 Battleground States? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 Battleground States?  (Read 14855 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« on: November 05, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »

This year saw the number of battleground states shrink. NM, MN, MO and IN all pretty much left the list from 2008. MI and PA returned at the last minute. And WI was also a late entry after Paul Ryan was put on the ticket. There were no new states added in 2012.

So what about 2016? Will the battleground map continue to shrink? And are there some states that might join (or rejoin?) the club?  Obviously if certain candidates are running that changes things as they can use favorite son to push a state into the battleground, but what about the rest?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »

Of the nine 2012 battlegrounds and seeing how they voted last night and the trends, I think that NV will probably drop off the list in 2016. Maybe WI and NC too. MI, MN, and PA were not really battlegrounds this time and will probably remain off the list. But the GOP need to find some states where they can make some inroads of their own on Dem turf. But not sure I see room for new Dem targets. AZ still seems out of reach. Maybe GA?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »

Well all the swing states trended GOP because 2008 was such a blowout, plus Nevada's economy is in the toilet and yet Obama still won by 6 (more than PA). I think NV is headed the way of NM, as in off the table. If not in 2016, then 2020.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:42:09 PM »

After watching the 2012 GOP primaries where all of them tried to one up each other on how big of a wall they wanted to build, and if it should or should not contain crocodiles, I ind it hard to see how they will be seen as the party leading on this issue. At best they will be seen as the party who were brought into it kicking and screaming, because you know that in the House we are still going to see the Angry White Man Tea Party coalition demagogue on the issue because they have no fear of losing their gerrymandered districts.

Face it, the Latinos arent going to spin around and start voting GOP. Maybe better margins but no way winning that vote for a long time if ever.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies