Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:15:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 313075 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: May 03, 2017, 01:40:36 AM »
« edited: May 03, 2017, 03:05:38 AM by smoltchanov »

I am under the impression, perhaps falsely, that Abrams wants to be the first Black woman elected President. She's certainly an inspirational figure, but it seems that she would be better off waiting a couple more cycles. Still, we need fewer old white men running the helm. I wish her well.

I am absolutely color-blind. The only criterion i use: "who is the most qualified candidate?. Who has best chances to win?" If he/she is Black - run him/her! If it's brown,  yellow or "old white man" - run him. I don't care about color of skin.... No preferences by that... Absolutely....
I know you're not an American, but use of the phrase "color-blind" usually indicates racism in the States.

I know that, but could never understand it, even while i was in US. May be i am "too Russian" by mentality, but my relatives in US are exactly like me, even after almost 30 years in US, and long - with American citizenship. "Color-blind" is an anthonim to racism. It's when color of skin becomes too important for a person (when he or she starts to speak about "this is a white/Black/Hispanic/ Asian legislative seat" and similar issues) then racism comes to play. As i already said - qualification is the only thing that matters for me.... For me a Black politicians in Memphis who attacked Steve Cohen for winning "a Black seat" there in late 1990th, were as racist as David Duke. And while "Black lives", undoubtely, matter, "white lives" matter too. And so on (BTW, this is a position of majority in Russia, and by far - THE most liberal position here, because those, who don't share it (about 1/5 of population by my estimate), may be rightfully called racists in Duke's mold... There is no such thing as "political correctness" in Russia).
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1001 on: May 03, 2017, 04:22:33 AM »

I am under the impression, perhaps falsely, that Abrams wants to be the first Black woman elected President. She's certainly an inspirational figure, but it seems that she would be better off waiting a couple more cycles. Still, we need fewer old white men running the helm. I wish her well.

I am absolutely color-blind. The only criterion i use: "who is the most qualified candidate?. Who has best chances to win?" If he/she is Black - run him/her! If it's brown,  yellow or "old white man" - run him. I don't care about color of skin.... No preferences by that... Absolutely....
I know you're not an American, but use of the phrase "color-blind" usually indicates racism in the States.

I know that, but could never understand it, even while i was in US. May be i am "too Russian" by mentality, but my relatives in US are exactly like me, even after almost 30 years in US, and long - with American citizenship. "Color-blind" is an anthonim to racism. It's when color of skin becomes too important for a person (when he or she starts to speak about "this is a white/Black/Hispanic/ Asian legislative seat" and similar issues) then racism comes to play. As i already said - qualification is the only thing that matters for me.... For me a Black politicians in Memphis who attacked Steve Cohen for winning "a Black seat" there in late 1990th, were as racist as David Duke. And while "Black lives", undoubtely, matter, "white lives" matter too. And so on (BTW, this is a position of majority in Russia, and by far - THE most liberal position here, because those, who don't share it (about 1/5 of population by my estimate), may be rightfully called racists in Duke's mold... There is no such thing as "political correctness" in Russia).

I can't speak for the Russian mindset at all, but in the United States the issue is that the term "colorblind" is often a racist dog whistle.

Here, the attitude that "I'm colorblind, I see all races equally!" is what someone says when they also think, "I don't have a problem with black people, I just have a problem with inner city thugs and criminals! (which of course they automatically assume all black people are unless proven otherwise).

It's what someone says when they discriminate against black people using ostensibly "non-racial" factors but in truth their own prejudice causes them to automatically assume all black people possess those supposed "non-racial" traits. (example: a manager who thinks "I'm colorblind, I just don't want to hire any drug users!" but really they're racist because they assume all/most black people are on drugs and try to justify their behavior that way)

That's why the phrase "color-blind" is usually associated with racism here, I hope my explanation makes sense
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1002 on: May 03, 2017, 04:58:29 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2017, 05:01:17 AM by smoltchanov »

^ Well, thanks! Still - i can assure you that i am 101% for equality. Of ALL races. Just against any privileges for anyone (be they white, black, male, female, straight, gay, lesbian, and so on). That's a context i use these words in: skin color doesn't matter at all when i communicate with people. Behavoir and qualifications do. And i am very well aware that there are white drug users and thugs, and Black Nobel prize winners)))
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1003 on: May 03, 2017, 05:06:31 AM »

Here's a post on the Atlanta Mayoral Election because it looks like the mega-thread hasn't covered it yet! With incumbent Mayor Kasim Reed term-limited, it seems like almost every notable politician in the city is running to replace him! Here's a list of the notable candidates:

Mary Norwood: Narrowly lost to Kasim Reed when he was first elected mayor in 2009. She represented an at-large city council district for two terms (2001 to 2009) before stepping down to run for mayor. She again serves as an at-large member of the city council, after being reelected to her old seat in 2013.

Keisha Lance Bottoms: She has represented southwest Atlanta on the City Council since 2009 (District 11). She also serves as the executive director of the Atlanta Fulton County Recreation Authority.

Kwanza Hall: He has represented District 2 on the City Council (representing portions of downtown and eastern Atlanta) since being elected in 2005. He previously served a term on the Atlanta School Board from 2001-2005. He's the son of civil rights veterans and is an MIT-educated engineer by trade.

Ceasar Mitchell: City Council President since 2009. Prior to that he served for eight years as a councilman. Recently he was required to pay small fines for several minor ethics violations. Leading the field in terms of fundraising.

Vincent Fort: Georgia State Senator for the 39th district, representing part of the city along with the adjacent East Point. He endorsed Bernie Sanders last year and is currently milking his Berniecrat bona fides for all they're worth.

Cathy Woolard: Elected to the City Council in 2001, becoming the first openly LGBT person to be elected to Atlanta's city government. Also served as Atlanta's first female City Council President, from 2005 to 2009. Some observers believe she might struggle as she has been out of elected office for eight years.

Peter Aman Former City of Atlanta Chief Operating Officer. Very effective fundraiser who already has ads up on the air.

Michael Sterling Former Assistant U.S. Attorney who has served as a close adviser to Mayor Reed. In 2014 he was appointed as executive director of the Atlanta Workforce Development Agency.

John Eaves Served as the Fulton County Commission Chairman, leading the largest county in the state, since he was elected to replace Karen Handel in 2006.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1004 on: May 03, 2017, 05:23:04 AM »

9 candidates and all - rather serious? Date of election?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1005 on: May 03, 2017, 05:27:53 AM »

Well of course Thurbert Baker and Jim Thurmond would show that's not the case, but they had become entrenched in their positions, I will grant you.

Abrams is a fine candidate but has encountered criticism for forging deals with the Republcian leadership in the General Assembly. Personally, I can't fault her for being willing to negotiate to save the HOPE scholarship from being totally eviscersted as was the original Republican plan several years ago.

Jason Carter is almost certainly not going to run now that Representative Stacey Evans is considering a bid.

Were not both Baker's and  Thurmond's successes pre-2010? If so, they are (sadly) almost irrelevant now. Voter's polarization by race is substantially higher now then before, and in most cases Democrats can only dream about resurracting old "Blacks+moderate whites" coalition of 1990th-2000th...

Oh I'm simply pointing out that black Democrats have won statewide offices in Georgia many times. The 2010 election was quite devastating for the state Democrats as they held many of the statewide offices below the Governor with incumbents who were in for years and either retired or in Baker and Thurmond's case both ran unsuccessfully for a promotion. The electoral shifts have obviously been the main factor but incumbency would have, in my opinion, at least placed the Democrats at even odds for those races in 2010.

It's worth noting that one of those two (I forget which; I think Baker) was appointed to his position mid-term by the Governor, and already enjoyed the power of incumbency the first time he was elected. Both were also first elected during a time where you had a) a solid majority of voters guaranteed to vote Democratic in statewide elections and b) less media/publicity surrounding lower-key statewide elections that would've even made a candidate's race obvious to most voters. Those are the only two black candidates elected to statewide office in GA to my knowledge (unless I'm missing a prior PSC seat or something).

Also, fun fact: depending on whether you count the three incumbent Democrats in office beginning with the 2002 elections in Georgia (Thurbert Baker, Mike Thurmond and Tommy Irvin), the average black Democratic statewide candidate for office's vote share has been 3-4 percentage points lower than the average white Democratic statewide candidate for office's. That's share of the vote: not margin (the latter would be a 6-8 point underperformance). Something like 41-42% versus 45% if I recall correctly.

It's a legitimate concern from a strategic/electoral standpoint, and a black statewide nominee would almost ensure defeat in 2018 if recent trends hold.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1006 on: May 03, 2017, 05:31:44 AM »

Also, I'm not entirely convinced that Carter won't run, but that'll probably hinge more on whether Reed and Evans jump in than it will on Abrams.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1007 on: May 03, 2017, 05:35:03 AM »

not until November 7th!
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1008 on: May 03, 2017, 05:36:15 AM »

not until November 7th!

Thanks! That can wait for a while in my own calendar)))
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1009 on: May 03, 2017, 05:38:47 PM »

Not excited about Abrams' run.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1010 on: May 04, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »

How come Stacey Abrams can't win statewide?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1011 on: May 04, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »

As far as i understand - because she is a Black liberal from Atlanta in polarized age...
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1012 on: May 04, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »

As far as i understand - because she is a Black liberal from Atlanta in polarized age...

Can she win as a Republican?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1013 on: May 04, 2017, 07:13:30 PM »

Depends on if she made it through a primary and if her opponent reverse-Southern Stategy'd her.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1014 on: May 04, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »

When a black Democrat is eventually elected Governor/Senator in the deep south (And realistically, it WILL happen) it will be an amazing and uplifting election night. Until then a candidate's race being a weakness as a challenger is a frustrating reality.  

I can't imagine how frustrating it is for the black citizens of Georgia to be the the backbone of the party's strength but not allowed to actually LEAD the party if it ever gets power.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1015 on: May 04, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »

Depends on if she made it through a primary and if her opponent reverse-Southern Stategy'd her.
Well most people in Charleston would say that Scott 2010 primary win was orchestrated to show the "New South".
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1016 on: May 04, 2017, 11:24:40 PM »

Also, I'm not entirely convinced that Carter won't run, but that'll probably hinge more on whether Reed and Evans jump in than it will on Abrams.
Sure seems like it won't. There's so much Democratic talent in Georgia, it's almost a shame.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1017 on: May 05, 2017, 01:05:45 AM »

"Black, ATL, female", in that order.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1018 on: May 05, 2017, 12:02:09 PM »

They've elected Karen Handel to a statewide position or are we specifically talking about the position of Georgia's Governor?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1019 on: May 06, 2017, 01:37:45 AM »

They've elected Karen Handel to a statewide position or are we specifically talking about the position of Georgia's Governor?

She is white conservative Republican. You can elect such women statewide in Georgia. But "black liberal Democrat from Atlanta" in addition to woman - that never happened AFAIK, and (IMHO, of course) isn't very likely to happen in the near future. Eventually - yes, but i doubt that i will survive to see it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1020 on: May 06, 2017, 01:53:04 AM »

GA has never had an elected female federal office holder to my knowledge, and only two statewide officeholders (Handel and Cox, I think). It stands out quite clearly, even against other Deep South states.

Being female - whether it's a liability in the primary (on both sides) or the general in Georgia is pretty clear...especially in the rural areas.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1021 on: May 06, 2017, 02:01:58 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2017, 02:23:05 AM by smoltchanov »

She is white conservative Republican. You can elect such women statewide in Georgia. But "black liberal Democrat from Atlanta" in addition to woman - that never happened AFAIK, and (IMHO, of course) isn't very likely to happen in the near future. Eventually - yes, but i doubt that i will survive to see it.

Unless you die before 2030, I wouldn't be surprised to see it by then.

I will be 73 by 2030 Election Day, so - who knows?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1022 on: May 06, 2017, 11:26:33 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2017, 11:54:42 PM by The Arizonan »

That's tragic.

Why does it seem like black women can't get elected governor anywhere?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1023 on: May 07, 2017, 01:37:44 AM »

That's tragic.

It's not easy even for white women (count number of women governors right now), and for black men (count). double difficult - for black women...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1024 on: May 07, 2017, 01:53:24 AM »
« Edited: May 07, 2017, 02:46:25 AM by smoltchanov »

That's tragic.

Because despite everyone claiming to be color blind, hardly anyone really is.

That's mostly true. I have a weird theory that one of the strongest reasons for rapid conversion of most southern whites to Republican party in post-civil rights era was thinking along following lines:

"We are law-abiding citizens, and fought for "our segregated South" valiantly. We did all we could to preserve it. Now, with all that Supreme Court decisions and Congressional legislation, our possibilities are almost nil. But we may still have our last revenge against treacherous party, whuch claimed to be "our", but - betrayed us on every occasion. We don't want to be in a party, which is flooded now with "these Blacks". Let's go to real party of "states rights", where there are few Blacks BTW. Let's do everything possible against that damned integrationists and white-haters. That will be our revenge and our "safe harbor""

P.S. And i fear that way of thinking is still relevant for considerable number of people.... May be - not only in the South.. Despite all sweet talk about "change" and "progress". Human minds change slowly, and old habits are very resilient...

P.S. 2 IMHO - racism (and not only white one, BTW) didn't go anywhere. It went "underground". Few people will openly speak today (as it was in 1940th-1960th) about "race superiority", "Black Monday's", and use "famous" n-word. But in their souls - ......

P.S. 3 It's happening throughout the world in a reverse way too. Just this week i spoke with white South Africa woman, now residing in Russia. She admires Nelson Mandela, calling him "the best". He was a person who almost singlehandedly (because of enormous respect and authority he had) prevented very possible (look at neighbouring Zimbabve) persecution and may be - even bloodbath of whites in the country. But her opinion about present President Zuma is "the worst", and her feeling - "country rapidly goes downhill now".
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies