Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:03:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 314786 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: May 20, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »

Turnout from poll watchers in 6/23 precincts that are being monitored in Whitfield suggest higher than average turnout, while statewide estimates show the opposite. I'm wondering what's causing this, since I've seen data that suggests any inclusion of weed on the ballot doesn't boost turnout.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #526 on: May 20, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »

Maybe they should pass out the weed after the ballots have been turned in, rather then "including it on the ballot". Tongue

They probably got hungry and left before filling it out.

We still expecting Handel to do well in Atlanta Metro or is going to be more dispersed with all the talk of her lack of education hasn't hurt her none?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #527 on: May 20, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »

Turnout from poll watchers in 6/23 precincts that are being monitored in Whitfield suggest higher than average turnout, while statewide estimates show the opposite. I'm wondering what's causing this, since I've seen data that suggests any inclusion of weed on the ballot doesn't boost turnout.

OMG TURNOUT SKYROCKETING IN PENNINGTON'S BASE

DEAL IS FINISHED
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #528 on: May 20, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »

RIP DEAL'S CARERR
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #529 on: May 20, 2014, 05:49:38 PM »

Maybe they should pass out the weed after the ballots have been turned in, rather then "including it on the ballot". Tongue

They probably got hungry and left before filling it out.

We still expecting Handel to do well in Atlanta Metro or is going to be more dispersed with all the talk of her lack of education hasn't hurt her none?

It'll be her strongest base I bet, but she'll still get beaten by Perdue there.

OMG TURNOUT SKYROCKETING IN PENNINGTON'S BASE

DEAL IS FINISHED

NO IT'S THE WEED QUESTION

Srsly though, reports from other poll watchers and myself have all heard several disgruntled people emerge saying that they didn't get to vote on the weed question (because they thought it was both parties or a statewide vote, so they pulled an R ballot). Sad. Sad I'll have two controls later, though: one is everything outside the Chatt media market, and the other is NW GA outside of Whitfield. I'll be able to figure out roughly how many idiots we lost along the way.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #530 on: May 20, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »

My post was a joke Smiley

Thanks for the analysis!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #531 on: May 20, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »

adam get in IRC to discuss results
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #532 on: May 20, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »

With four thousand votes in, I'm gonna call it now that Kingston makes the runoff. He's pulling 80 percent of early voters across south GA
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #533 on: May 20, 2014, 06:37:56 PM »

With four thousand votes in, I'm gonna call it now that Kingston makes the runoff. He's pulling 80 percent of early voters across south GA

Huh, yeah this is weird. He's at 68% of the vote right now Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #534 on: May 20, 2014, 06:55:38 PM »

It's Kingston/Perdue unless Handel manages to pull an unexpectedly huge chunk of her old base in the metro
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #535 on: May 20, 2014, 08:44:50 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2014, 08:48:29 PM by Bacon King »

Perdue    29.99%
Kingston  29.02%
Handel    19.18%
Broun      10.13%
Gingrey      9.76%
Grayson     1.04%
Gardner     0.88%

Lots of ATL still out so Handel still has a bit of a chance to get in the runoff (more likely at Kingston's expense but a lot of downstate is still out as well)

Mike Buck and Dick Woods look like they're going to the GOP Superintendent Runoff, with this delightful map:

http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/GA/51345/129558/en/md.html?cid=10610

Don Balfour, longest serving GOP State Senator, former chairman of the GOP Senate Caucus, former chairman of the Senate Rules Committee, former President of the National Conference of State Legislatures, is currently in third place in his primary
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #536 on: May 20, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »

Perdue    29.99%
Kingston  29.02%
Handel    19.18%
Broun      10.13%
Gingrey      9.76%
Grayson     1.04%
Gardner     0.88%

Lots of ATL still out so Handel still has a bit of a chance to get in the runoff (more likely at Kingston's expense but a lot of downstate is still out as well)

Mike Buck and Dick Woods look like they're going to the GOP Superintendent Runoff, with this delightful map:

http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/GA/51345/129558/en/md.html?cid=10610

Don Balfour, longest serving GOP State Senator, former chairman of the GOP Senate Caucus, former chairman of the Senate Rules Committee, former President of the National Conference of State Legislatures, is currently in third place in his primary

How'd that happen? Too many RINO accusations?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #537 on: May 20, 2014, 08:56:29 PM »

Guess the GA Senate runoff isn't going to be a crazy train after all. Shame, really.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #538 on: May 20, 2014, 09:00:52 PM »

Balfour was indicted on 18 counts of perjury and theft related to filing false expense reports and subsequently suspended from office. He was subsequently found not guilty by a jury trial and allowed to return to office but there was still talk of censuring him after he returned
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #539 on: May 20, 2014, 09:28:24 PM »

Another Republican is considering throwing his hat into the ring among others jostling on who is the most likely to unseat Rep. John Barrow.  Article is from late last week, but I don't recall seeing it posted anywhere.

Is there anyone in the race -so far- that Barrow needs to really worry about?  

Rick Allen would be his strongest opponent, but any of the candidates currently in or looking at the race would be better than the disaster that was Lee Anderson.

I'd agree, and Barrow needs to worry about any candidate that is not a complete nut-job and/or slacker. 2012 was 54/46 - some might say being on the ballot with Obama could have hurt him a bit, but he also had a good turnout from Richmond County to pad his numbers. Augusta blacks have pretty terrible mid-term turnout when compared to black turnout statewide, so it's worrisome. Barrow could lose 2-3 points if there's a significant shift in mid-term electorate, and another 2-3 points with a credible Republican challenger. Assuming Barrow doesn't do anything stupid (likely), his floor is probably 48%, but I don't see his ceiling being any higher than 51% without someone like Anderson. If the candidates are within one point of one another, then a recall is almost guaranteed and who knows how that turns out.

Judging by the results thus far, it's pretty clear-cut that Rick Allen will be his challenger this November.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #540 on: May 21, 2014, 12:56:08 AM »

Sorry I've been away! I'll be filling this with lots of maps soon.

And also, look at the results of some of my Democratic Party's straw poll questions in Whitfield:

Should the State of Georgia legalize the possession of less than one ounce of marijuana for adults 21 and older?

64% Yes, 36% No

Should Whitfield County and Dalton City governments adopt a policy of diversity that expands against discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations based upon sexual orientation and gender identity?

76% Yes, 24% No

Should the state of Georgia accept federal funds for Medicaid expansion, which would ensure those earning less than $15,000 per year ($1,250 per month) are eligible for Medicaid?

87% Yes, 13% No

Should the state of Georgia repeal HB 87, which authorizes police to demand papers demonstrating citizenship or immigration status during traffic stops?

57% Yes, 43% No
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #541 on: May 21, 2014, 02:33:03 AM »

I know Handel would have been much worse, but seriously, seeing her defeated is so awesome Cheesy.
A pro gay right supports turned into an anti gay activist for political gains, goodbye Cheesy
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #542 on: May 21, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »

Thoughts on the GOP runoff?  I think Perdue would be likely to pick up Handel's metro Atlanta support while Kingston would gain Broun and Gingrey's bases running as the rural candidate.  If Perdue really does get most of Handel's metro support, it should be enough for him to win, but those 70-80% Kingston counties with super high turnout have to make Perdue nervous.

I wonder who Nunn would rather face?  If she gets Kingston, she can do the whole run against congress as an outsider routine and she could expect to have an easier time in the suburbs.  Perdue would cause problems for her as she would need to rely more on rural crossover support that may no longer exist.  However I think Perdue as a first time candidate is much more likely to say something ridiculous during the campaign that would give Nunn an opening.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #543 on: May 23, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »

For the next two months, Kingston and Perdue are going to be spending millions going harshly negative against each other. This is going to be vicious and everyone is underestimating the extent this will help Nunn.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #544 on: May 24, 2014, 10:44:08 PM »

For the next two months, Kingston and Perdue are going to be spending millions going harshly negative against each other. This is going to be vicious and everyone is underestimating the extent this will help Nunn.

Since the runoff looks like a tossup right now (Kingston leads iirc) she has time to define herself as a candidate before they define her, and she really should capitalize on that.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #545 on: May 25, 2014, 02:51:08 AM »

Since the runoff looks like a tossup right now (Kingston leads iirc) she has time to define herself as a candidate before they define her, and she really should capitalize on that.

I hope this really begins to occur soon. It seems that up until this point, she has been trying not to define herself as much of anything in an attempt to gain broad appeal. I'll admit that it's worked to some degree - I have people calling me to volunteer who wouldn't volunteer for any other Democrat (several have been Republicans).

I just worry that once the Republican nominee emerges, they're instantly going to begin painting her however they like, and that it'll work. It will be a shame for her to have had all these months to define herself thoroughly and forcefully without any push-back, only not to do so and wind up being railroaded by the tired old "OMG UR A PELOSI DEMOCRAT" schtick.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #546 on: May 26, 2014, 02:27:39 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2014, 05:18:44 AM by Sen. Griffin (LAB-NB) »

2010 % of primary voters who pulled a Dem ballot: 36%
2014 % of primary voters who pulled a Dem ballot: 33%

Percentage Point Increase/Decrease in Share of Democratic Ballots Pulled by Electorate, 2010-2014

TREND - Percentage Point Increase/Decrease in Share of Democratic Ballots Pulled by Electorate, 2010-2014

In Atlas colors and simplified; the same maps as above (swing on left; trend on right):

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #547 on: May 26, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »

Let's play a game! Can you spot which South GA counties had competitive primaries in local elections this year?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #548 on: May 27, 2014, 12:38:22 AM »

Let's play a game! Can you spot which South GA counties had competitive primaries in local elections this year?

idk this was pretty tough but i think the fourth one's right
nobody here understands sarcasm, this post is bound to get somebody on my ass for drawing circles around jacksonville and griffin country
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #549 on: May 27, 2014, 05:10:05 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2014, 05:15:51 AM by Sen. Griffin (LAB-NB) »

RIP Dixiecrats Cry

I could be wrong, but I'd bet a good chunk of that is a return to the mean of sorts after Dubose's media empire pushed an even greater % of the region to vote for him for Gov in the D primary in 2010. Some of those swings have to take into account both elements, though (Telfair, Dodge, Johnson; all border his home of Laurens).

EDIT: Look at the top swings to the Republicans - WTG, Dubose

And some of these Dem ones are even more perplexing:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies