Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:44:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 313049 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: October 28, 2014, 07:16:57 PM »

Quick question guys. I turn 18 on the 15th of November, which is about a week after the General Election. If I register to vote, am I allowed to vote in the run-offs?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #776 on: October 28, 2014, 07:19:43 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2014, 07:27:24 PM by NE Caretaker Griffin »

Quick question guys. I turn 18 on the 15th of November, which is about a week after the General Election. If I register to vote, am I allowed to vote in the run-offs?

Nearly 100% sure, and you can already register to vote (you just have to be 17 1/2 to register). If you got a D/L, you can do it right now online using your D/L number here:

https://registertovote.sos.ga.gov/GAOLVR/#no-back-button
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #777 on: October 28, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »

No, the registration date for the general election is the same for the run-offs - October 6, 2014.

If you're already registered, and you turn 18 between the elections then I don't know...
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #778 on: October 28, 2014, 07:24:42 PM »

Getting closer to election night has me looking through classic local news coverage from the past.  Here are two goldies:

WBS-TV's coverage of the 1992 vote - including an extremely early call for Clinton, prolific discussion on the lottery referendum, and the heated Fowler/Coverdale senate result which was initially projected to be won by Fowler outright.

Also, there's WSB's coverage from the 1980 election - which includes Carter's concession speech, and the erroneous projection that Herman Talmadge had been convincingly reelected over Mack Mattingly, only to loose by a small margin later on in the night.

I hope you guys enjoy! Cheesy

Best part ever

We need a Peanut Brigade for 2014! Those ladies make be proud to be a Georgia Democrat.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #779 on: October 28, 2014, 07:26:20 PM »

No, the registration date for the general election is the same for the run-offs - October 6, 2014.

If you're already registered, and you turn 18 between the elections then I don't know...

Well crap, then I guess you can't, Clinton. Sad It sucks because had you registered before October 6 (you could have), then you'd be able to vote in the run-offs (since you can register 6 months before your 18th birthday).
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #780 on: October 28, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »

Here's the margin shifts between last week's SUSA poll and the new one. One of these things is not like the others...

Governor: no change
Senate: Perdue + 5
Lt. Governor: Cagle + 3
Sec. of State: Kemp + 2
Attorney General: Hecht + 2
Superintendent: Woods + 3

Update: I saw a Greg Hecht ad on FOX 5 during the evening news tonight, talking about how he prosecuted child rapists. Apparently he has money for ad buys now so that's prob why he's surging
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #781 on: October 28, 2014, 11:09:46 PM »

Here's the margin shifts between last week's SUSA poll and the new one. One of these things is not like the others...

Update: I saw a Greg Hecht ad on FOX 5 during the evening news tonight, talking about how he prosecuted child rapists. Apparently he has money for ad buys now so that's prob why he's surging

Really? I've only seen the deluge of governor and Senate ads.  My aunt claims to have seen a Casey Cagle ad but I'm not convinced.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #782 on: October 28, 2014, 11:38:07 PM »

Really? I've only seen the deluge of governor and Senate ads.  My aunt claims to have seen a Casey Cagle ad but I'm not convinced.

After 9PM I think the cost for ad space drops a lot because that's when I've been seeing the downballot candidates' stuff. Yesterday I even saw a Gary Black ad!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #783 on: October 29, 2014, 02:10:29 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 02:13:43 AM by NE Caretaker Griffin »

Really? I've only seen the deluge of governor and Senate ads.  My aunt claims to have seen a Casey Cagle ad but I'm not convinced.

After 9PM I think the cost for ad space drops a lot because that's when I've been seeing the downballot candidates' stuff. Yesterday I even saw a Gary Black ad!

Fun fact: excluding Deal/Perdue propaganda (which I've seen very little of), Gary Black is the only Republican candidate whose signs I've seen in NW GA. Also, I've yet to see a Perdue or Deal commercial in the general election; Nunn's team started hitting our media market about 10 days ago (was coordinated to begin the same day Sam came to Dalton) and they're running all the time. Unusual, as we never get GA Dem TV ads up here.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #784 on: October 29, 2014, 03:31:19 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 03:33:02 AM by Bacon King »

Fun fact: excluding Deal/Perdue propaganda (which I've seen very little of), Gary Black is the only Republican candidate whose signs I've seen in NW GA. Also, I've yet to see a Perdue or Deal commercial in the general election; Nunn's team started hitting our media market about 10 days ago (was coordinated to begin the same day Sam came to Dalton) and they're running all the time. Unusual, as we never get GA Dem TV ads up here.

Here in Gwinnett it's just Perdue and Deal except for one stretch of road near Buford where there's randomly four of those big poster-sized yard signs for Casey Cagle all within two miles from each other

I do love that Nunn's uncontested in your airwaves up there, it'll surely sway at least a few votes
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #785 on: October 29, 2014, 06:10:53 AM »

Really? I've only seen the deluge of governor and Senate ads.  My aunt claims to have seen a Casey Cagle ad but I'm not convinced.

Here in Gwinnett it's just Perdue and Deal except for one stretch of road near Buford where there's randomly four of those big poster-sized yard signs for Casey Cagle all within two miles from each other

I do love that Nunn's uncontested in your airwaves up there, it'll surely sway at least a few votes

It's really weird: both Deal and Perdue seem to be taking for granted this part of the state in both trivial and meaningful ways (and if there was ever a time not to do that, you'd think it would be now). Obviously they'll win up here, but I'd say if Republicans fall below 65% in Floyd, Whitfield, Paulding, etc, then it doesn't bode well for them at well given the increased Dem support in the rest of the state, too.

It's not just the TV ads, which matter, but even in the meaningless stuff like signs...this is the first time I can remember where Democrats are beating Republicans in the sign game in my county.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #786 on: October 30, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »

Carter's final commercial
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #787 on: October 30, 2014, 10:47:42 AM »

Seems a bit bland.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #788 on: October 30, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »

Important announcement!
Us Red Georgias will be hosting a Peach State election night IRC extravaganza! All are welcome to attend, of course.  I'll post the link on election day.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #789 on: October 30, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »

Important announcement!
Us Red Georgias will be hosting a Peach State election night IRC extravaganza! All are welcome to attend, of course.  I'll post the link on election day.

Can the Sunshine State join in?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #790 on: October 30, 2014, 07:00:52 PM »

All are welcome to bask in the glory of the Empire State of the South.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #791 on: October 31, 2014, 04:40:10 PM »

"And if Michelle Nunn wins, Democrats keep control of the Senate..." -Barack Obama

I have heard this line at least twenty times today in radio ads, usually coupled with Nunn's "I defer to the President's judgement". It's brutally effective

Why in the world would Barry-O say something like that anywhere near a microphone? Sad

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #792 on: October 31, 2014, 06:18:59 PM »

"And if Michelle Nunn wins, Democrats keep control of the Senate..." -Barack Obama

I have heard this line at least twenty times today in radio ads, usually coupled with Nunn's "I defer to the President's judgement". It's brutally effective

Why in the world would Barry-O say something like that anywhere near a microphone? Sad

Oh and now we're seeing Perdue and Perdue-affiliated PAC ads in the Great White North. Sad
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #793 on: November 01, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »

With the final day of early voting counted, turnout among blacks is up 13% compared to 2010, and down 7% among whites.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/11/01/african-american-share-of-early-ballots-up-10-percent-over-2010/
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #794 on: November 01, 2014, 05:35:43 PM »

With the final day of early voting counted, turnout among blacks is up 13% compared to 2010, and down 7% among whites.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/11/01/african-american-share-of-early-ballots-up-10-percent-over-2010/

Hmm, their figures are off a bit compared to mine, but still holding strong. I'm not sure what they mean here, though:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Do they mean blacks have almost matched the actual 2012 figure (nominal)? At any rate, we need to compare it to 2010 first, and not 2012. Between early voting in 2010 and total votes cast in 2010, black share of electorate only dropped by one point (from 29% in early voting to 28% in total votes). If this election mimics that, then this would indicate an electorate that is even blacker than 2012 or 2008. Of course, more black people could simply be voting early and there may be far fewer voting on Election Day.

Georgia, Final Early Vote Totals and Analysis:

Wow. I'm not sure what it looks like in every other state (I'll compare later), but the total share of early voters in Georgia jumped from 678,000 in 2010 to 930,000 in 2014.

The black share of the electorate jumped by close to four percentage points (from 29.0% in 2010 to 32.7% in 2014). The white share of the electorate shrank by more than five percentage points (from 66.5% in 2010 to 61.1% in 2014).

When we go by party affiliation based on primary voting record (on a statewide level, this is more accurate than it'd appear and I've explained in detail before why this is), the early vote electorate in Georgia effectively swung from R+6 in 2010 to D+1 in 2014.

By age and by gender, we saw a fairly steady hold between 2010 and 2014. Females were 55% in 2010; closer to 56% in 2014. The youngest and oldest brackets grew and shrank very modestly, respectively, while the 51-64 age group saw the largest growth between 2010 and 2014.

Here are two maps that show 2014 early vote turnout compared to 2010 early turnout. The first one shows it in sheer numbers; the second one shows it in a "trend-like" format (counties that saw EV percentage growth greater than the state as a whole are green; those that saw less or shrank are in red).

2014 Early Vote Turnout as a Percentage of 2010 Early Vote Turnout

TREND - 2014 Early Vote Turnout as a Percentage of 2010 Early Vote Turnout

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #795 on: November 01, 2014, 10:32:44 PM »

Does anyone else think the risk of a turnout drop in the runoff has been overstated?

1. We're already dealing with the reduced electorate of a midterm
2. The meme is mostly based on Chambliss's reelection in 2008 where he got like 49% in spite of record turnou
3. It will get the full attention from donors as the last race
4 The Nunn campaign has proven to be professional and will doubtlessly run a first-class GOTV operation
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #796 on: November 02, 2014, 05:12:33 AM »

Does anyone else think the risk of a turnout drop in the runoff has been overstated?

1. We're already dealing with the reduced electorate of a midterm
2. The meme is mostly based on Chambliss's reelection in 2008 where he got like 49% in spite of record turnou
3. It will get the full attention from donors as the last race
4 The Nunn campaign has proven to be professional and will doubtlessly run a first-class GOTV operation

Wish I could find my multiple posts on the matter scattered about, but this is exactly what I've been thinking. I think if anything, it'll look more than 1992 than 2008 in terms of the drop-off.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #797 on: November 03, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »

Well, we're entering the final stretch! Whatever the outcome of tomorrow's election, I'm just glad that so much attention has been payed on Georgia this year! It's good to live in a state with competitive elections. Grin
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #798 on: November 04, 2014, 12:23:05 PM »

BK FAMILY TRACKER ELECTIONWATCH

Dad voted for the libertarian in the gov race but voted Nunn, saying "I really don't like Perdue and voting Libertarian is a vote for Perdue since he'll win the runoff"

Mom voted Carter/Nunn

Grandmother voted Deal/Nunn

Aunt and uncle in south GA voted Deal/Perdue/Barrow
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #799 on: November 04, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »

BK FAMILY TRACKER ELECTIONWATCH

Dad voted for the libertarian in the gov race but voted Nunn, saying "I really don't like Perdue and voting Libertarian is a vote for Perdue since he'll win the runoff"

Mom voted Carter/Nunn

Grandmother voted Deal/Nunn

Aunt and uncle in south GA voted Deal/Perdue/Barrow

What a thoughtful family. My family only votes straight ticket one way or another.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies