Will Sen. John Cornyn be primaried or demoted?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:18:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Sen. John Cornyn be primaried or demoted?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Sen. John Cornyn be primaried or demoted?  (Read 650 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:49:21 AM »

I was just wondering, I don't really know if this happens after elections. But I know the senator from my state is the chairman of the NRSC, and I imagine on Wednesday he'll either be one of the people pointing fingers or getting fingered about the GOP's failure to clench a senate majority. Is it possible he'll be primaried or lose any leadership positions in the Senate because of that?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 04:03:15 AM »

Lose standing yes, primaried probably not, especially as he's not up for another four years.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:20:39 AM »

Lose standing yes, primaried probably not, especially as he's not up for another four years.

His seat is up in 2014.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:27:08 AM »

His seat is up in 2014.

It is? I could swear he ran in 2010. That might just be because one of his ridiculous commercials from what must have been 2008 sticks really clearly in my memory, though.

I still can't see him being primaried.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 04:29:08 AM »

His seat is up in 2014.

It is? I could swear he ran in 2010. That might just be because one of his ridiculous commercials from what must have been 2008 sticks really clearly in my memory, though.

I still can't see him being primaried.

Me either.

Perry would seem much more likely to be primaried.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 04:44:27 AM »

Oh I'm sure Perry will be. I'm looking forward to it.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 09:31:16 AM »

I'm sure Perry will be primaried, but I'm terrified of the Republican who will do so, because he'll be running to Perry's right.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:04:20 AM »

No, he's conservative enough and has kept out of trouble with the grassroots. Even Perry, while theoretically vulnerable, probably won't get a primary opponent. The real fun will be Straussians v. Teepers in the House.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »

He's gonna get a primary challenger for 2014 from the liberty wing of the TX GOP, I have little doubt about that. Whether or not it becomes an actual race is questionable though.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 03:43:23 AM »

Give the guy a break. It's not his fault fundie rubes screwed up the IN and MO primaries (and DE and CO two years ago).

If anything, he shouldn't have caved and started cutting checks to Akin when the withdraw date passed. They could have used that money elsewhere and the GOP needs to start making examples of their psychotic nominees who manage to lose such easy races.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2012, 02:32:57 PM by Nathan »

The answer, by the way, is 'No, they made him Minority Whip'.

Jerry Moran takes his NRSC position. John Thune becomes Conference Chairman.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »

So its

McConnell
Cornyn
Thune

If he doesn't become Majority leader in 2015, McConnell probably leaves the position and then probably resigns if a Republican wins KY Governor election later that year.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »

The only change in the Democratic leadership is the departure of Patty Murray. I've heard Michael Bennet is a favorite to replace her.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 05:02:10 PM »

I very much doubt Cornyn will receive a serious 2014 challenge for renomination, though it's an outside possibility. Perry will receive a challenge from Attorney General Greg Abbott in the primary, but I think he starts off favored there? In any case, after his 2010 comeback I wouldn't count him out.

The only change in the Democratic leadership is the departure of Patty Murray. I've heard Michael Bennet is a favorite to replace her.

Bennet was the favorite to run the DSCC this cycle too, but he chickened out because of likely Democratic losses. (Which, ultimately, failed to materialize). He strikes me as a very cautious politico and I very much doubt he'll do it in the 2014 cycle. Other possibilities, from what I've read, include Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York. Considering that Durbin, Harkin, and Levin are all very high up on the retirement watchlist, which may force Democrats to play some defense in the Midwest, I think Klobuchar is more likely than Gillibrand, considering she's from that area of the country and knows how it's done there very well. It could also, of course, be someone completely out of left field. But I don't think it'll be Bennet.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 05:07:46 PM »

Looks like Cornyn got a sweet promotion for gaining negative two seats for the Senate Republicans this cycle. Well done!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »

Any Abbott v. Perry primary would make a Quinn/Madigan one look G-rated in comparison. Which would make it quite fun to watch. 

Speaking of Senate committees, apparently Rubio turned down an offer from McConnell to run the NRSC.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »

I heard that some pushed for Portman as NRSC because of his financial connections and swing state bonefides.

However, it appears that Moran has been working for this for months and had secured a majority of Senators. Whether that is exaggerating or not, but it is possible that he had already shut out the alternatives at this point.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »

Speaking of Senate committees, apparently Rubio turned down an offer from McConnell to run the NRSC.

Rubio's future plans, at least at the moment, don't include Senate Republican leadership, especially not a very risky role like head of the NRSC.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »

Nor should they IMO.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies