Democratic National Convention: Seattle, WA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:23:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Democratic National Convention: Seattle, WA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Democratic National Convention: Seattle, WA  (Read 4416 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2005, 07:46:18 PM »

I have a speech whenever yall are prepared for me to speak.

Go ahead and speak.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2005, 07:52:17 PM »

Go For It, Harry.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2005, 07:54:05 PM »

<Harry walks onstange>

Hey yall.  We’re here today at a most important time in Atlasia’s history.  The current president is stepping down, and now we the people get to pick his replacement.  This current president, although not a member of our party, has not been a bad one.  Serving as his attorney general has been quite pleasant and it has been an honor to do so.  But the so-called “frontrunner” of this race will be nothing like our current president.  The so-called “frontrunner” is way too far to the right on the economic scale and will reverse what months of control of the senate has accomplished.  But although some have already considered him a shoein, we have one man who can beat him.  His name:  Lewis Trondheim.  Lewis is a liberal, thick and thin.  If other candidates advertise themselves as liberal, then they are deceiving the masses.  Being only economically liberal but socially right-leaning does not make you a liberal.  Being a bit socially left-leaning and far right economically does make you a liberal.  Only by being a solid liberal both economically and socially can one be a liberal.  And Lewis Trondheim is that person.  If the left unites behind him, and I firmly believe that we will, Lewis Trondheim will win the presidency in a great upset.  But it’ll take a great GOTV effort and faith among us all that we will prevail.  But I know we can.

Now Lewis Trondheim once posted an education plan, and the vicious attack dogs tried to dismantle it immediately.  They filled the boards with garbage that said that it was giving no local freedom…It saddens me to think that people actually believed that trash.  But alas, they did.  But I stand here today and proclaim yet again that the Lewis/TD education plan gave very much freedom to local districts while at the same setting a national standard for education for all Atlasians.  Seriously, it is too much for the government to require that all high school students take math?  English?  People actually complained that the plan required schools to offer a creative writing class…it didn’t require students to take it, it just required schools to offer it.  Let me say that any qualified high school English teacher is qualified to teach creative writing.  And allowing any student who wants to take the class that opportunity can only be beneficial to our great nation.  Yes, the attack dogs will rip any plan to shreds…Atlasia is lagging behind worldwide in education….students in Japan and Korea go to school for over 200 days every year....why should we not also extend our school year and improve our educational standards?  Maybe then our companies could hire Atlasians rather than having to hire from other countries.  Lewis’s original draft of his education plan was not perfect, but it had many nuggets of great ideas and it is imperative that we implement those great ideas.

I have worked with our current president recently, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.  I think the current president has done a pretty good job, but my no means do he and I agree upon everything.  His dealings with China are reckless.  I think all of here wish for a totally free China, and Lewis will do his hardest to achieve that, without driving our nations into war.

In his signature, Lewis Trondheim has an image of the Bull Moose, the symbol of Theodore Roosevelt’s Progressive Party.  I see many parallels between Lewis and the great Theodore Roosevelt.  Both men saw a lot with Atlasia that could be fixed, but they also realized that Atlasia is undoubtedly the greatest nation in the world.  Theodore Roosevelt worked to fix Atlasia’s problems and at the same time lifted our great nation onto the world stage, where it remained throughout the Cold War.  But now some Atlasians have forgotten about Atlasia’s greatness, and other nations try to take the world stage away from us.  Only with Lewis Trondheim can we as a whole remember how great we are and firmly retake the world stage.  Theodore Roosevelt is today held in high regard by almost all Atlasians, and Lewis Trondheim will one day hold a similar place in the hearts of Atlasians.  But none of this will happen if people don’t get fired up about the ticket, and vote for him.  So I issue this challenge to all of you:  get involved in the campaign.  To modify a quote, ‘Atlasia stands on the edge of a knife.  Stray but a little, and Atlasia will fail.’  It is up to you which direction will we will go in.  Only with Lewis Trondheim can we go forward.  Liberal, moderate, or conservative…Lewis Trondheim is the man for you.  Don’t listen to anyone who says that this election has already been decided.  Because it hasn’t.  On February 18-20, go out and vote for the ticket Lewis Trondheim and True Democrat.  The fate of our nation depends on it.

<Harry walks off stage to a standing ovation.>
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2005, 08:15:48 PM »

Nice speech.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2005, 08:30:55 PM »

Damn good speech. I'll unveil mine shortly.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2005, 08:37:33 PM »

Sorry, I haven't had time to write anything, I have a lot of homework.  I'll make my speech tomorrow night.
Josh
cyberlord

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2005, 09:50:58 PM »

Another excellent speech.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2005, 06:32:23 AM »

Harry, if you had made a speech like that in October, you wouldn't be out of office right now Wink
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2005, 06:34:38 AM »

I'll have to speak sometime later, no time right now.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2005, 06:39:24 AM »

*Very Important Speech*

Getting out the vote drives are important to winning elections. But we must do them fairly and honestly. That is why, at the time of the elections, I want all Democrats, and all Atlasians, to abide by this or a similar policy.

1. Do not PM voters who have not posted 25 times this year.

2. Do not PM voters who have not viewed, located in their profile, in the month of February.

3. If you have any doubts about whether what you are doing is in the spirit of Atlasia, don't do it.

Thank you.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2005, 09:05:52 AM »

*Very Important Speech*

Getting out the vote drives are important to winning elections. But we must do them fairly and honestly. That is why, at the time of the elections, I want all Democrats, and all Atlasians, to abide by this or a similar policy.

2. Do not PM voters who have not viewed, located in their profile, in the month of February.

3. If you have any doubts about whether what you are doing is in the spirit of Atlasia, don't do it.

Thank you.
I already PMed all Democrats who were inactive. Sorry... Sad
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2005, 09:58:56 AM »

(Lewis walks on stage, grabs a mic, clears throat.)
Good morning, folks.
First of all, before I begin my speech as it were, let me express my gratitude to you guys, to the Democratic Party, for endorsing me even though I'm not a party member. Eight months ago, the United Left endorsed the Democratic ticket. Now, the United Left is essentially not a functioning party anymore, but a UL member is the Democratic candidate. Strange, heh?
Anyways...
It's great to see you all here in Seattle, in the most beautiful region of the Atlas, just a hundred miles or so from my first-ever fantasy residence over in Oregon.
It seems to me that Seattle has become something of the auxiliary capital of Atlasia these days. The Presidential Debates and the Constitutional Convention are also being held here, right this minute. Which is a good thing, since otherwise I'd have to spent quite a large amount of time and money on travel, and this campaign is operating on a shoestring budget as it is.
The Constitutional Convention is coming along just fine. I am confident that we'll have a result to present to the people of this great nation by Inauguration Day.

The new Constitution will resolve all the ambiguities of the present document and put the governance of Atlasia on a sound footing again without actually changing much in the day-to-day administration of the country.
With one unfortunate exemption, that is. The Constitutional Convention has voted, after rather insufficient debate, for a return to the "Supersoulty Plan" of Senate composition, electing only some Senators by Districts, others by regions.
I opposed this change. I still oppose this change. I always will oppose this change. This plan has once been used in Atlasia, and has not worked well. It was repealed for a good reason. If elected, and if the new Constitution is ratified, I will work with the Senate to have it repealed yet again. If not elected, I will still work to have it repealed yet again.

As I have said, the Constitutional Convention is coming along just fine. The same can not be said of the Presidential Debates, however. In fact, truth be told, there are no Presidential Debates, as none of my opponents has even shown up. They had said they would.
I don't know what has happened. I don't know if they have an excuse to show. I know though, that I find this development very much worrying. The Presidential Debates have always been one of the highlights of public life on the Atlas, and for a presidential contender to go AWOL for the debates and still expect to gather votes strikes me as downright un-Atlasian. Again, maybe they have perfectly good excuses for their absence. I hope they do.
However, I have to say that for one of them at least - I'm not naming names - this absence is very much in keeping with his conduct throughout the campaign. This has been a very unusual, and a very partisan, very bitter, election season.
I myself am certainly not without blame in this matter. I would like to use this opportunity to offer my sincere apology to anyone I may have offended.
I do believe, however, that I have not been the worst, or the first, offender, and neither has any of you. But no more of that.
After the election, it will be time to try and heal these ugly divisions, no matter who wins. We are all Atlasians, we are all Democrats, we are all Republicans, we are all supporters of a Constitutional Union, we all love Freedom, we all dig Insurgent Country Music - oh, sorry, not that last one.
We have been calling by different names Brethren of the same principle.
Thank you, have a nice day, and don't forget to turn out and vote. I'll be heading back across town to the Constitutional Convention now.
(Walks off stage as the delegates jeer and boo applaud wildly)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2005, 02:54:53 PM »

My fellow Atlasians, at this point in time, we stand at a crossroads in our nation. With a new Constitutional Convention underway, it is critical that we have strong leadership that can reach out to all of Atlasia.

At the same time, we must keep to our principles, and assert our course. The Democratic party is a broad party; we accept Atlasians of all stripes. Above all, we believe in a better country. We believe that partisan divisions must not come between what we believe, and what we can accomplish for this nation.

Above all, we fight for the rights of all Atlasians. To close the opportunity gap in Atlasia, not only for the good of those currently struggling to make it, but for the good of our entire natoin's economy. We must always keep this fight going, and to light the fires of hope and liberty within Atlasia one person at a time. Above all, we must continue to persevere, and give hope to all those who have nowhere else to turn. From the manufacturing worker in Akron, to the single mother in Albany, and the new immigrant in Los Angeles, we will fight for the rights of all Atlasians, and we will show them a better way to bring our country together behind a united purpose.

Yet, we must realize that while government can be an active partner, it also must work for the people. We must lead the fight for government reform, to clean up corruption, to fight waste and graft wherever it can be seen. We must redefine the terms of the debate, so that government is not seen as an enemy, but rather as an active, willing partner in assisting the progress of our nation.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2005, 08:32:27 PM »

My fellow Democrats, I come here not as a false moderate, not hiding  my political views.  I come here as a liberal.  Many in Atlasia simply shout liberal at people to try to degrade their campaign.

If being liberal means fighting for our civil liberties, then I am liberal. If being liberal means fighting for progressive social values, then I am liberal.  If being liberal means trying to improve education in Atlasia to not only improve our children's future, but our country's future, then yes, I am a liberal.  If being liberal means fighting for civil rights, then I am a liberal.  If being liberal means means fighting to improve the economy in this country, fighting to keep family farms alive, fighting to give back to our people through government programs, then I am a liberal.  Finally, if being liberal means fighting for older Americans through social security, then I am liberal.

I call on all leftist Atlasians to stand up to those who should liberal and be proud of your progressive values.  Be proud that you stand up for everyday Atlasians.

The Lewis Trondheim/True Democrat ticket represents these progressive values.  If you are socially and economically liberal, vote for the Lewis Trondheim/True Democrat ticket.

Throughout the campaign, KEmperor has called himself the moderate candidate.  This is false.  Although KEmperor may be moderate socially, his economic are more radical than other canidadate in the race.  Though the Al/Siege may stand for some liberal values, I call on all true progressives to vote for the Lewis Trondheim/True Democrat ticket.  We are not only economically liberal, but also socially liberal. 

On the weekend on February 18th-20th I urge all progressives, liberals, and all Atlasians to make the right choice for Atlasia.  Vote Lewis Trondheim/True Democrat for President and Vice-President.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2005, 08:53:46 PM »

Great speeches, all.

As a rather symbolic move, I start a motion to cut in half Boss Tweed's former Chairman pension, and use that money to construct a statue of Fritz in front of party headquarters. He rebuilt our party, he deserves credit.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2005, 09:13:46 PM »

*Very Important Speech*

Thank you.

I hope you don't mean all of them...actually, I hope you don't mean any of them.

How many did you PM?

This is really bad for the party and game in general.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2005, 09:13:56 PM »

*Very Important Speech*

Thank you.

Good work, way to totally ruin the game for everybody!
Katie G.
katie_g

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2005, 09:29:38 PM »

wow. it has been quite a while since my last post.  i guess i just forgot about this thing. oh well.

so, i happened upon this division of the forum and, while scanning the platforms, noticed no mentioning of women's equality.

what about ERA?

but women's rights needs to be uber important. well, it is very important. guys just need to treat it that way. ok.

RECOGNIZE! peace!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2005, 10:04:55 PM »

*Very Important Speech*

Thank you.

Disgraceful stuff. Can we please stop that stuff, please?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2005, 11:22:06 PM »

Just to clarify, the AFDNC is opposed to what Franklin D. Roosevelt did (Yes, I realize the irony of a Democratic committee making that statement) and hopes that the inactive voters he PM'ed either become reasonably active or refrain from voting.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2005, 11:32:48 PM »

Just to clarify, the AFDNC is opposed to what Franklin D. Roosevelt did (Yes, I realize the irony of a Democratic committee making that statement) and hopes that the inactive voters he PM'ed either become reasonably active or refrain from voting.

Just call him by his original username of Ralph Nader, it'll be easier to denounce! Wink
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2005, 12:27:19 AM »

Just call him by his original username of Ralph Nader, it'll be easier to denounce! Wink
Sorry, that was my mistake. Sorry.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2005, 12:30:07 AM »

I promise never to dresge up inactive posters again.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2005, 12:17:20 PM »

We all make mistakes.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2005, 01:00:36 PM »

I promise never to dresge up inactive posters again.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies