Which of these noncandidates would've won more EVs than Romney did had they run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:03:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Which of these noncandidates would've won more EVs than Romney did had they run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of these non-candidates would've won more EVs than Romney did, had they been the GOP nominee?
Barbour

J. Bush

Christie

Daniels

Huckabee

Jindal

Palin

Pence

Rubio

Ryan

Thune

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of these noncandidates would've won more EVs than Romney did had they run?  (Read 2045 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »

Romney won 206 electoral votes.  However, there are quite a few potential candidates who declined to run.  Some of them are listed above.  Imagine each of them as having been the GOP presidential nominee in place of Romney.  Which of them (if any) would've won more than 206 electoral votes?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:28:19 PM »

I'm not sure on Daniels. I think Bush is the only one I feel comfortable about - he would have taken Florida.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:32:55 PM »

Christie as nominee would've made for quite the dramatic final week of the campaign, given Hurricane Sandy.  That would make an interesting timeline.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »

Christie would have won the election.
Jeb Bush would have made it much closer, possibly won.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:58:57 PM »

Christie as nominee would've made for quite the dramatic final week of the campaign, given Hurricane Sandy.  That would make an interesting timeline.

I know what you mean and I've thought about that myself. But it's important to keep in mind that if any of those candidates had run, there wold have been no hurricane Sandy...in the same sense that if you drop a pencil right now, you've completely changed the weather 6 months from now.

There of course would have been other hurricanes and some may have hit the US, but the chance of one hitting New Jersey would be same as the long term average of such occurrences.

I've pointed this out before on the forums when some people were talking about how Kerry would have handled Katrina. And I sort of got laughed at, but it's still true.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »

I know what you mean and I've thought about that myself. But it's important to keep in mind that if any of those candidates had run, there wold have been no hurricane Sandy

...How? Would they have used the RepubliMagic they didn't give Romney?

"If they had run, there would not have been Hurricane Sandy, because hurricanes hitting the Northeast are unlikely." So? It happened, therefore it happened. That's just how science works.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »

Pence or DeMint would've kicked obama's tail
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:22:07 PM »

Bout half of them.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »

Given the events of the last week of the campaign and Christie's actions, I'm reasonably confident he would have won.  He generated massive amounts of goodwill for himself among people who would ordinarily hate his guts.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 10:33:56 PM »

The question is which candidates would have won more EV's, not less.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 11:40:40 PM »

I'd say Bush, Christie, Daniels, Rubio and Thune. No idea who could have won, but it would have been very close. Honestly, this race was pretty winnable with a half-decent republican.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 11:54:02 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2012, 11:55:46 PM by Averroës Nix »

Christie is probably the best communicator in contemporary American politics. That's a huge advantage.

In addition to Christie, I think that it's plausible that Bush, Jindal, Daniels, or Thune could have outperformed Romney, although Bush is probably the only one of the four whom I'd actually expect to perform better.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 12:19:31 AM »

Jeb or Christie.

None of the others would have been able to do anything in the debates.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »

Jeb or Christie, but no matter the nominee, they would have to carry the albatross that is the Tea Party around their necks, so I don't know if they could have won. Anytime Mittens had momentum, some news would break about X tea partier saying rape is a gift from above, etc..
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 12:40:29 AM »

Christie? It would have been a question of desire. He would have probably self-sabotaged his campaign. He wasn't ready, and he probably had issues of health. In 2016 he is in a good spot because -- paradoxically-- Barack Obama made him look good. Slimmed down, he could be a good match for Colorado, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. With those a Republican wins the election against anyone. (Michigan is like Iowa, Minnesota, or Wisconsin except for having more African-Americans).  

Huckabee is a right-wing populist. I think he would have picked off Florida and made Virginia tighter if he didn't win it. Huckabee is a good match for Clinton-but-not-Obama voters. Jeb Bush would have likely won Florida.

I am surprised that Giuliani wasn't listed.

The others have either limited exposure, no evidence of ability to win outside the Red Firewall, or the sorts of political experience that does not put one one step away from the Presidency.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 12:42:18 AM »

Christie and Daniels.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 12:44:15 AM »
« Edited: November 08, 2012, 01:17:54 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Romney may not have been the best candidate (either way, he was certainly in the top tier), but I think he would have made the best president out of most of the people in these lists. Like him or hate him, he's exceptionally good at sitting down with people to actually get things done.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 01:09:53 AM »

For as low of an opinion I have of Romney, really, I think he ran a really good campaign.  It's the weakness of the Republican brand that lost it for him. 
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 05:11:01 AM »

Boycotting this thread as THIS man is not on it.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 05:25:06 AM »

I'm 100% confident Huckabee would have won. Despite having some rather disgusting views, he's actually very likable and authentic seeming, two things that Mitt lacked and did more damage to his campaign than anything else in my opinion.

His genuinely disgusting views would have motivated the Tea Party evangelicals and bigots more as well. Sorry you're stuck with them, Republicans, but they're a major part of your coalition now. There's room for you under our big tent if you don't want to deal with them anymore
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 06:34:20 AM »

I'm 100% confident Huckabee would have won. Despite having some rather disgusting views, he's actually very likable and authentic seeming, two things that Mitt lacked and did more damage to his campaign than anything else in my opinion.

His genuinely disgusting views would have motivated the Tea Party evangelicals and bigots more as well. Sorry you're stuck with them, Republicans, but they're a major part of your coalition now. There's room for you under our big tent if you don't want to deal with them anymore

Legitimate rape, anyone?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 07:24:26 AM »

Akin/Boozman would have destroyed his candidacy.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 07:58:55 AM »

Huckabee maybe.  If Jeb runs in 2016; I'm voting for whoever the Democrat is.
milhouse24
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 12:15:36 PM »

Whoever can get either the Evangelical or Hispanic vote. 

Those 2 groups lost it for ROmney.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »

I know what you mean and I've thought about that myself. But it's important to keep in mind that if any of those candidates had run, there wold have been no hurricane Sandy...in the same sense that if you drop a pencil right now, you've completely changed the weather 6 months from now.

There of course would have been other hurricanes and some may have hit the US, but the chance of one hitting New Jersey would be same as the long term average of such occurrences.

I've pointed this out before on the forums when some people were talking about how Kerry would have handled Katrina. And I sort of got laughed at, but it's still true.
No, it's not. It is borderline insane.

As for the quastion posed in this thread, the important thing is that none of them would have won the election. The whole idea that the "elite republicans" sat this one out isn't with much merit. Mitt Romney was really always the favourite and would likely have been the nominee regardless of his problems with sealing the deal during the primaries.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies