Can't we all just agree to disagree?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:33:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Can't we all just agree to disagree?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can't we all just agree to disagree?  (Read 1356 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2005, 08:46:50 PM »

Why should it matter that some people believe that the Earth was created in 6 days or 6 billion years?  As long as one side respects the beliefs of the other, what does it matter?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 08:49:00 PM »

Why should it matter that some people believe that the Earth was created in 6 days or 6 billion years?  As long as one side respects the beliefs of the other, what does it matter?

It don't matter at all in Politics.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 08:51:10 PM »

One side respects the beliefs of the other. One side doesn't.
Tory

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 09:16:26 PM »

Do any of you think God cares how you believe the earth was created just as long as you know that it was created by him?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 09:25:38 PM »

I have never heard anyone tell someone they are going to hell because they believe the universe was created in 6 24 hour periods 6000 years ago. I can't say the same for the opposite. So yeah, you're right.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 09:29:10 PM »

I have never heard anyone tell someone they are going to hell because they believe the universe was created in 6 24 hour periods 6000 years ago. I can't say the same for the opposite. So yeah, you're right.

I need said you was going to hell.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 09:30:39 PM »

no you haven't, but I have heard fundamentalists saying that people who don't believe the literal Biblican creation story are not true Christians and are going to hell.

and you did once tell John Dibble he was going to hell.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 09:47:31 PM »

no you haven't, but I have heard fundamentalists saying that people who don't believe the literal Biblican creation story are not true Christians and are going to hell.

If I said that then it must have been something he said..
No if you believe the world is 49999949448798 years old then you are not going to hell.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 09:49:59 PM »

No if you believe the world is 49999949448798 years old then you are not going to hell.

What, you don't remember that discussion? It was the one where I was arguing that any god that would send people to hell merely on the premesis that they did not worship him to hell, disregarding whether that person a good person, is an evil god unworthy of my worship. At least I think it was that discussion.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 09:50:33 PM »

What, you don't remember that discussion? It was the one where I was arguing that any god that would send people to hell merely on the premesis that they did not worship him to hell, disregarding whether that person a good person, is an evil god unworthy of my worship. At least I think it was that discussion.

You're going to hell Tongue
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 09:55:20 PM »

Before time began there was no heaven, no earth and no space between. A vast dark ocean washed upon the shores of nothingness and licked the edges of night. A giant cobra floated on the waters. Asleep within its endless coils lay the Lord Vishnu. He was watched over by the mighty serpent. Everything was so peaceful and silent that Vishnu slept undisturbed by dreams or motion.
From the depths a humming sound began to tremble, Om. It grew and spread, filling the emptiness and throbbing with energy. The night had ended. Vishnu awoke. As the dawn began to break, from Vishnu's navel grew a magnificent lotus flower. In the middle of the blossom sat Vishnu's servant, Brahma. He awaited the Lord's command.
Vishnu spoke to his servant: 'It is time to begin.' Brahma bowed. Vishnu commanded: 'Create the world.'
A wind swept up the waters. Vishnu and the serpent vanished. Brahma remained in the lotus flower, floating and tossing on the sea. He lifted up his arms and calmed the wind and the ocean. Then Brahma split the lotus flower into three. He stretched one part into the heavens. He made another part into the earth. With the third part of the flower he created the skies.
The earth was bare. Brahma set to work. He created grass, flowers, trees and plants of all kinds. To these he gave feeling. Next he created the animals and the insects to live on the land. He made birds to fly in the air and many fish to swim in the sea. To all these creatures, he gave the senses of touch and smell. He gave them power to see, hear and move.
The world was soon bristling with life and the air was filled with the sounds of Brahma's creation.

As good as any other explanation i ever heard.

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 10:01:53 PM »

You're going to hell Tongue

Yep, along with all the Jewish comedians. At least I'll be entertained in hell. Smiley

Basically the discussion boiled down to two ways that Christians tend to believe - that God allows only Christians go to heaven(and, thusly non-Christians burn in hell) or that non-Christians can still go to heaven as long as they are good people.

In the latter, there's a God I can respect - he's reasonable. He realizes that not everyone will believe in him while on Earth, but that doesn't mean they should spend eternity in torment. If they are good while on Earth, basically they act 'Christian' in that they respect their fellow man and other such things, though they don't believe in the Christian god religiously, they can come to heaven just like all the good Christians. Of course, the wicked are still punished, because they have done wrong that merits punishment. Such a God, as I stated, is very reasonable, and thusly worthy of my respect and perhaps even worship.

In the former, God sends all non-believers to hell simply because they don't believe. Seems completely unreasonable in my view. I see it no different than a communist dictator killing those who protest the government, completely disregarding whether they protest peacefully or violently. I see it no different than Hitler rounding up Jews and sending them to concentration camps to suffer and die, simply because of their beliefs/family lines. This God does not hold any regard for whether a non-believer is good or bad, he just sends that person to hell without even considering that - that is tyrannical in my view, and such a god is not in any way worthy of my worship.

It's not that I can't worship any god, it's just that I can't worship a god that operates contrary to what I believe is good and reasonable.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005, 10:05:15 PM »

Before time began there was no heaven, no earth and no space between. A vast dark ocean washed upon the shores of nothingness and licked the edges of night. A giant cobra floated on the waters. Asleep within its endless coils lay the Lord Vishnu. He was watched over by the mighty serpent. Everything was so peaceful and silent that Vishnu slept undisturbed by dreams or motion.
From the depths a humming sound began to tremble, Om. It grew and spread, filling the emptiness and throbbing with energy. The night had ended. Vishnu awoke. As the dawn began to break, from Vishnu's navel grew a magnificent lotus flower. In the middle of the blossom sat Vishnu's servant, Brahma. He awaited the Lord's command.
Vishnu spoke to his servant: 'It is time to begin.' Brahma bowed. Vishnu commanded: 'Create the world.'
A wind swept up the waters. Vishnu and the serpent vanished. Brahma remained in the lotus flower, floating and tossing on the sea. He lifted up his arms and calmed the wind and the ocean. Then Brahma split the lotus flower into three. He stretched one part into the heavens. He made another part into the earth. With the third part of the flower he created the skies.
The earth was bare. Brahma set to work. He created grass, flowers, trees and plants of all kinds. To these he gave feeling. Next he created the animals and the insects to live on the land. He made birds to fly in the air and many fish to swim in the sea. To all these creatures, he gave the senses of touch and smell. He gave them power to see, hear and move.
The world was soon bristling with life and the air was filled with the sounds of Brahma's creation.

Then you must not have heard many explanations.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2005, 11:21:53 PM »

That's a noble sentiment.  I realize some of my posts have made humor at the expense of the religious beliefs of others.  This is particularly hypocritical of me since I'm always bitching about the intolerance of "the left"  Of course, I continue to subscribe to, and argue for, the moral value system which holds that public schools should teach students about modern scientific conclusions, but I will resolve to use more sensitive language when discussing that value system.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 09:35:05 AM »

Absolutely correct.  Liberals seek to stifle anybody who doesn't share their beliefs.  Liberals do not respect the beliefs of Christians.

Though I am a Christian, I don't believe in creationism.  I think it's a metaphor, not to be taken literally.  But I respect those who do believe it.  Liberals want to force people to respect their beliefs, while holding the beliefs of others in contempt.  They don't want others to even be able to express their beliefs in a supposedly free society.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2005, 04:57:30 PM »

I reject all those who say liberals don't respect thier belief. I'm an evolutionist, and I respect, but disagree with those who say creation is literal, or believe in a god-guided creation. I would appreciate you conservatives not putting words in my mouth!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2005, 05:32:49 PM »

I believe this might be more appropriately placed in the "six twenty-four hours..." thread.  it's a pretty accurate rendering of the same story I got from Dr. Pavan Kumar.  But if it's as good as any other explanation you ever heard, then you must not have heard the Maya story of the cosmos.  FYI:  when a hindu refers to the "Trinity" it means Vishnu, Shiva, and Brahma.  And when a hindu refers to the Mother of God he is talking about Sree Rama. 

By the way, the Western concept of Shiva is Entropy.  Of Brahma is Enthalpy.  The nice part of that tale is that it is metaphorically consistent with Modern Physics, which may be why South Asians do so well in the upper-division chemistry and physics courses.  Of course, the Maya story is rather interesting as well. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies