Gay Marriage Advancing in France
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:22:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gay Marriage Advancing in France
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay Marriage Advancing in France  (Read 1047 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2012, 11:14:30 PM »

Gay-marriage bill advances in France

By MAIA DE LA BAUME and STEVEN ERLANGER
The New York Times

PARIS — The French Cabinet approved a draft bill legalizing same-sex marriage Wednesday after weeks of loud opposition, especially from religious figures and the political right.

(...)

The draft law redefines marriage to stipulate that it is "contracted between two persons of different sex or of the same sex," and the words "father and "mother" in existing legislation are replaced by "parents." The bill would also allow married gay couples to adopt children.

Christiane Taubira, the justice minister, told the conservative newspaper La Croix that "marriage for all," as the government calls it, was a response to "a demand for equality."

But the move to legalize same-sex marriage has been controversial, and the bill was subject to delays in a country where only married couples can adopt. Opinion polls indicate that a majority of the French support gay marriage, but only half approve allowing gays to adopt.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

International progress this year; wonderful news and I will have to keep a close eye on it.
MrMittens
Mittens
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:53:36 AM »

Oh Mr Hollande, stop trying to distract attention away from the economy Smiley

Anyway, replacing 'mother and father' with parents. For everyone? Why?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 03:03:52 AM »

Because 'parents' is much more correct in a world in which there are so many possibilities (including even just single father/mother, on top of father/father mother/mother) for who is raising a child.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 03:27:04 AM »

First meaningful thing the government shows willingness to do in 6 months.

OK, this is good news, but I really hope that's not all they have.
MrMittens
Mittens
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 09:54:45 AM »

Because 'parents' is much more correct in a world in which there are so many possibilities (including even just single father/mother, on top of father/father mother/mother) for who is raising a child.

Jesus
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »

Jesus
It's a really small and not at all ridiculous change. Get over yourself. Luckily, it's a globally sweeping movement that will no long have time for the likes of you very soon.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »

Jesus
It's a really small and not at all ridiculous change. Get over yourself. Luckily, it's a globally sweeping movement that will no long have time for the likes of you very soon.

I think we should ignore this person.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »

Ah, social liberalism to cover the lack of actual leftism. That old chestnut.
MrMittens
Mittens
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 03:11:53 AM »

Jesus

Just like Communists used to say. 'Those who follow the old ways will be broken under the juggernaut of the new'. You overestimate the actual levels of support for this 'globally sweeping movement'. Gay Marriage, maybe, but removing the titles mother and father. Removing the use of madamoiselle, as I believe they have done in France. The left is overreaching itself here.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 05:34:19 AM »

Congrats to France if it passes. Also, in a non-cohabitation government such as now, is it not true that the President pretty much gets whatever he wants passed through Parliament? In a way, I'm a little surprised it's taken France this long (although not really considering the right had power for so long under Chirac and Sarkozy).
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 06:05:20 AM »

Ah well Antonio, it's always easier being in opposition when you can imagine all the good things your side will do when they come in to power. And you had some quite high expectations of what Hollande would do. Not surprising, the right has been in power in France for almost all of your life. Actually having the goverment of your choice for the first time is a sobering experience.

But don't worry, six months of five years is nothing.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »

Congrats to France if it passes. Also, in a non-cohabitation government such as now, is it not true that the President pretty much gets whatever he wants passed through Parliament? In a way, I'm a little surprised it's taken France this long (although not really considering the right had power for so long under Chirac and Sarkozy).

Basically, yeah. France has slightly less party discipline than Canada does, but there's very little doubt that a government will get its legislation through the National Assembly.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »

Ah well Antonio, it's always easier being in opposition when you can imagine all the good things your side will do when they come in to power. And you had some quite high expectations of what Hollande would do. Not surprising, the right has been in power in France for almost all of your life. Actually having the goverment of your choice for the first time is a sobering experience.

Well, it's nothing like the hopes I had for Obama in 2008. Tongue But yeah, if Hollande does nothing to fix France's broken tax system and modernize our outdated institutions, this presidency is shaping up like a complete failure.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »

Jesus

Just like Communists used to say. 'Those who follow the old ways will be broken under the juggernaut of the new'. You overestimate the actual levels of support for this 'globally sweeping movement'. Gay Marriage, maybe, but removing the titles mother and father. Removing the use of madamoiselle, as I believe they have done in France. The left is overreaching itself here.

Who is this cretin?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 02:10:24 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2012, 02:13:13 PM by Benwah [why on Earth do I post something] Courseyay »

Well, it's nothing like the hopes I had for Obama in 2008. Tongue But yeah, if Hollande does nothing to fix France's broken tax system and modernize our outdated institutions, this presidency is shaping up like a complete failure.

Ow, how unfair...

Within six months Hollande precisely engaged the country in the reform of the tax system and began to bother about the reform of institution, and all of this by finding the most balanced possible ways without betraying themselves, and during an epoch of crisis, and without acting like a slave with Germany even succeeding to partially reorientate some Merkel positions (Banking union).

Frankly, in a pragmatic and realistic perspective, they might be doing the best that can be done.

About the 'Gay Marriage' stuff itself, well, personally ultimately I'd be against all forms of legal marriage, in term of this as a Right I mean, but whatever, the most interesting that I find in that is to see all the pitiful postures to which it drives all of those  UMP, and seeing all of those UMP mayors, even some big names, draping themselves in their offended morality, saying they won't celebrate some marriages of gay people. I wonder  if so much offended fuss happened in other countries where it passed. And I don't even speak about the not only pitiful but here also insane statements of high members of the French Catholic cleric, which so far had a rather sane and responsible image, that wasn't far from some stuffs I had heard from some Iranian Mullahs, kudos to them.

This law has at least the interest to make people 'coming out of the wood' as we say in France.

Oh, and, by the way, this is not 'Gay Marriage', the official name of this 'Marriage for all', it's the renewal of the law about marriage. 'Marriage pour tous' in French, regardless what i can think about marriage I like this way of saying...
MrMittens
Mittens
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »

Jesus

Who is this cretin?

Ah the good old 'I can't be bothered to come up with a reasonable response, so I'll just call him a cretin' Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies