Will Nancy Pelosi be the Democratic Leader in the Next Congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:52:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Nancy Pelosi be the Democratic Leader in the Next Congress?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Nancy Pelosi be the Democratic Leader in the Next Congress?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Will Nancy Pelosi be the Democratic Leader in the Next Congress?  (Read 484 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2012, 11:17:52 PM »
« edited: November 14, 2012, 02:48:48 PM by retromike22 »

I think.. no. She's 71, lost two House elections in a row, too polarizing. I like her, but it's time for someone new. I don't care for Hoyer, but Chris Van Hollen seems to be a good choice.

Edit: She says she's staying.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »

If the Democrats win the Congressional popular vote while getting 35 or so fewer seats it's time to raise hell about the gerrymandering.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 12:31:13 AM »

Nancy's time is over. The Democrats are (fortunately) going to look for new leadership.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 12:33:59 AM »

There needs to be new leadership, reflecting the diverse coalition that helped propel Obama and many Democrats to victory this year. Or, more realistically, I'd just like a new person in charge of the Dems because I'm sick of conservatives going "PELOSI REID OBAMA BLARRGH".
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:43:26 AM »

Judging by the results last night, she's finished. 
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:49:50 AM »

I agree, it's time for somebody new to lead us in the midterms.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:11:42 AM »

If the Democrats win the Congressional popular vote while getting 35 or so fewer seats it's time to raise hell about the gerrymandering.

part of it is a natural consequence of running up huge majorities in urban areas -- mostly a commentary on the system itself rather than how the system is implemented.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »

That's more a criticism of FPTP than gerrymandering. No matter how you slice it, you can't get around the fact the the D's win 80%+ in DC, Manhattan etc.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 01:17:14 PM »

I would like to see Xavier Becerra take the Minority Leadership postion. There are multiple reasons why I support him:

- He's only in his mid-50's
- Member of the Progressive Caucus 
- Has leadership experience after being the Caucas Vice-Chair for 3 years and has been in the Congress since 1993
- Being Latino is a big plus, would provide another good example of the diversity of the Democratic party   
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 01:29:24 PM »

Probably not. Sad Her successor probably won't be nearly as effective as she was in whipping votes.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »

Pelosi watch begins:

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/2012/11/08/will-pelosi-step-down-as-dem-leader/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 08:57:18 AM »

I can probably support anyone she supports. Becerra is also someone else I'd like to win it, but leadership probably isn't gonna stay in the same corner of the country again.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 03:48:44 PM »

Beccerra would be the perfect Dem leader.  Hispanic, good speaker, relatively young.  Hoyer is even older than Pelosi and is probably getting ready to retire himself. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »

Beccerra would be the perfect Dem leader.  Hispanic, good speaker, relatively young.  Hoyer is even older than Pelosi and is probably getting ready to retire himself. 

Depends.  If Hoyer is thinking he'll retire soon, having him as a caretaker Minority Leader for the 113th Congress might make sense.  While the Dems have a very slim chance of retaking the House in 2014 (around 10% if things go the Dems' way on the economy and such), they probably won't.  Their chances are much better for 2016.  Becoming Speaker during eir first election fought as Minority Leader would give that Speaker extra political capital even if the switch in House control wasn't wholly die to eir efforts.  Besides, doing what is necessary to get us past the fiscal cliff is likely to be unpopular with either caucus.  Letting Hoyer (or even Pelosi) take the damage on the Dem side would be useful to whichever young blood takes charge next.

I suspect Pelosi may be waiting to see if there is a chance that the lame duck session will be able to deal with the cliff beyond pushing it back so that the 113th deals with it.  If so, there is no need for Hoyer or anyone else to be a caretaker so that the new Dem leader can avoid getting too much guano from the fiscal cliff smeared on them.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 05:12:24 PM »

Chris Van Hollen would be a great choice. Young, energetic, and has done work in campaign finance reform which is where the party needs to go in the future. He's also my Congressman and he's done a good job as far as I can tell.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 04:22:14 AM »

I think it's only a matter of when she retires. She'll probably serve somewhat into the next Congress, but I definitely think she'll stand down as Leader and retire from Congress fairly soon. I loved her as Speaker and Democratic Leader, but I absolutely understand why she'll want to leave. Besides, she's 72 and has been in Congress for 25 years now (10 of which as Speaker or Democratic Leader). Some people do want to have lives outside of Congress and I think she's one of them. Personally, I'd have no problem with her continuing on (and she would hold her position if she wanted it), but she's probably ready to leave at this point.

I do hope she gets her chosen successor tapped as Leader as I do trust her political instincts. If that's Van Hollen, I would absolutely be fine with that pick. Hoyer is definitely not someone I want to see in that position or as the eventual next Democratic Speaker. If and when Pelosi stands down, I think it's time for the entire leadership to get some new blood. If we can get a new Leader that is even half as effective as Pelosi was, House Democrats should be in reasonably good shape considering.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies