Is a Nationwide Referendum Possible?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:43:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is a Nationwide Referendum Possible?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is a Nationwide Referendum Possible?  (Read 2235 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:29:03 AM »

I often wish we would have some for several issues.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »

Not really.  The Constitution relies upon the States to conduct all elections.  The thing which would come closest to a national referendum is that when Congress sends proposed Amendments to the States for ratification, it can specify that it will be done by Conventions elected for that specific purpose instead of by the Legislatures of the States involved.  Under our current politics, the elections for those Conventions would serve as a de facto referendum on the amendments involved, as I can't imagine that the delegates chosen would not have to state their position on the amendments to get votes.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 06:28:41 AM »

I don't really think national referendum is possible (let alone a particularly good idea overall). My question with this is whether Congress could force the conventions to actually be votes of the people in each state. There doesn't seem to be anything in the Constitution that would prohibit Congress from forcing such an action. That wouldn't be a true national referendum, but it would be somewhat close provided you still get a majority in 3/4 of the states (and a 2/3 Congressional Majority). I have no doubt DOMA would have passed under those conditions.
milesawesome
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »

That which most closely resembles a nationwide referendum is a presidential election.
Baylor98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.38, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 05:33:52 PM »

A nationwide referendum would no happen because makes the decisions on issues.  So a congressional election is really our national referendum.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies