Sandy and Christie Screwed Romney; May Be Time to Write-Off America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:48:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Sandy and Christie Screwed Romney; May Be Time to Write-Off America
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Sandy and Christie Screwed Romney; May Be Time to Write-Off America  (Read 22562 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:08:34 PM »
« edited: November 08, 2012, 12:27:03 PM by Politico »

I am back from Florida, where I personally witnessed Democrats' successful efforts to make downtrodden masses drink Kool-Aid like Jim Jones did. Obama's America is beginning to resemble Jonestown if not something even worse. I am hearing the same thing from all of my contacts in all of the battleground states. Congratulations, Democrats! You did a great job of turning out the vote among spoiled brats and uneducated masses who can barely read "Obama"! Good luck blaming Bush for four more years!

Ultimately, Sandy and Christie screwed over Romney. Take those out of the equation, and Romney wins. I will work my butt off to ensure Christie is humiliated if he decides to run for president. He is from New Jersey, so I am sure it will not be tough to dig up the dirt. Romney's Mormonism also hurt among certain demographics, but it was not decisive nor would it have been had Sandy/Christie never happened.

As some of you may know, I have a sick relative abroad whom I am back to taking care of. It really saddens me to say this, but I am not sure if America is worth going back to down the road after the cancer and Alzheimer's runs its course. Indeed, it may be time to write-off America. Our days as a superpower are heading to an end. It is probably just a matter of time before the rest of the world realizes this, and after that happens obviously the proverbial sh*t hits the fan. I personally sold off all of my American assets yesterday except some real estate in the southwest, some grocery chain stocks, my TIPS and some cash. In five or ten years, and I am dead serious, we'll be lucky if most of America does not resemble a hybrid of Detroit's ghettos and Tijuana. But liberal policies work great! We just need most of America to be more like California and Illinois! *shakes head*

I am a man of my word, so my signature will be updated shortly after Badger provides the details...

God help America...
danny
Israel

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:19:26 PM »

Liberal policies work great! We just need most of America to be more like California and Illinois! *shakes head*

Both those states have a higher GDP per capita than the US average, I don't see why this would be so bad
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »

Romney was toast with or without Sandy and Christie.

His momentum had began to fade in mid-October. Republicans need to stop fooling themselves by blaming Sandy.

Demographics screwed you, not Sandy or Christie.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 12:22:28 PM »

Liberal policies work great! We just need most of America to be more like California and Illinois! *shakes head*

Both those states have a higher GDP per capita than the US average, I don't see why this would be so bad

They will go bankrupt. It is a matter of when, not if.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:27:12 PM »

lol, you're truly delusional.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2012, 12:38:22 PM by a Person »

This was apparent long ago.

Also, the title → really unwanted mental images.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 12:42:24 PM »

This is the single stupidest thing I have read in 5 years on this forum.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »

Do you have relatives who work for Mason-Dixon?

Romney's poll numbers stalled out in mid-October more than a week before Sandy even formed.  Nor was Obama's mild upward trajectory affected by Sandy.  Romney made the mistake of assuming that the general election would be like the primary elections were and they weren't.  It wasn't possible to sway the result by a last minute barrage of ads because the voters had by and large already formed their opinions and because Romney was not able to dominate the airwaves as he had in the primaries.  As the primaries showed, Romney needed those factors to win and they weren't available to him in the general election.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 01:02:02 PM »

I am back from Florida, where I personally witnessed Democrats' successful efforts to make downtrodden masses drink Kool-Aid like Jim Jones did. Obama's America is beginning to resemble Jonestown if not something even worse. I am hearing the same thing from all of my contacts in all of the battleground states. Congratulations, Democrats! You did a great job of turning out the vote among spoiled brats and uneducated masses who can barely read "Obama"! Good luck blaming Bush for four more years!

Ultimately, Sandy and Christie screwed over Romney. Take those out of the equation, and Romney wins. I will work my butt off to ensure Christie is humiliated if he decides to run for president. He is from New Jersey, so I am sure it will not be tough to dig up the dirt. Romney's Mormonism also hurt among certain demographics, but it was not decisive nor would it have been had Sandy/Christie never happened.

As some of you may know, I have a sick relative abroad whom I am back to taking care of. It really saddens me to say this, but I am not sure if America is worth going back to down the road after the cancer and Alzheimer's runs its course. Indeed, it may be time to write-off America. Our days as a superpower are heading to an end. It is probably just a matter of time before the rest of the world realizes this, and after that happens obviously the proverbial sh*t hits the fan. I personally sold off all of my American assets yesterday except some real estate in the southwest, some grocery chain stocks, my TIPS and some cash. In five or ten years, and I am dead serious, we'll be lucky if most of America does not resemble a hybrid of Detroit's ghettos and Tijuana. But liberal policies work great! We just need most of America to be more like California and Illinois! *shakes head*

I am a man of my word, so my signature will be updated shortly after Badger provides the details...

God help America...

You sir are delusional. Also, Sandy had nothing to do with an increase in the electorate of Obama's coalition of youth, black, Latinos and white professionals. From places as Florida to Virginia to Colorado. Get real
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »

I am back from Florida, where I personally witnessed Democrats' successful efforts to make downtrodden masses drink Kool-Aid like Jim Jones did. I am hearing the same thing from all of my contacts in all of the battleground states. Congratulations, Democrats! Good luck blaming Bush for four more years...

Mitt Romney scared people into believing that if he won most people in Americans would be the downtrodden masses powerless to contest the cruelties that oligarchs usually impose.  As the consequences of the Dubya era fade we are going to cease giving any leeway to President Obama for hardships that result from the worst President since Hoover and the Little Depression.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Barack Obama missed campaign appearances so that he could coordinate a response to a natural disaster about to strike.  Chris Christie and Michael Bloomberg, both Republicans,  found President Obama easy to deal with. Contrast the experience of Kathleen Blanco, then Governor of Louisiana and a Democrat, found a my-way-or-the-highway approach to Hurricane Katrina from Dubya. Dubya tried to grease the skids for Ms. Blanco and succeeded -- with costs paid largely by people living in Democratic-voting New Orleans -- while letting the Republican Governor of Mississippi get whatever he wanted.

Dubya chose to use a disaster for Machiavellian partisanship. President Obama showed no concern that Republican pols would look good in the aftermath of a disaster. Dubya gets a hard rap for a bungled response to Hurricane Katrina.  Barack Obama did what most Presidents beginning with Roosevelt -- Teddy Roosevelt -- did in response to disasters from earthquakes to floods. Disasters did not get partisan responses. Just think of Calvin Coolidge and his response to a horrible flood of the Mississippi River in the 1920s, having to coordinate aid with Democratic pols.  

If President Obama gets undue credit it is because it is in contrast to Dubya. We had eight years of Dubya and that remains in our memory.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am more optimistic. I have blessings to count. I am glad to know that Orwellian propaganda chosen more for its incendiary qualities than for its truthfulness has failed. I am glad to know that threats (if Obama wins you may lose your job!) that we used to not see have failed. I am glad to know that a President who by objective standards has done well is re-elected. I am glad to know that we will not have a President who will push lower wages and harsher working conditions for most people while pushing tax cuts for our economic elites. I am glad to know that a Party that pushed superstition and pseudoscience has lost Senate seats. I am glad to know that two conservative states that rejected Barack Obama for President (Indiana and Missouri) also rejected two extremist candidates for the Senate who trivialized the horrible crime of rape. We have a President who honors what used to make America prosper and still can. We have a President who has no scandals and who has given America nothing to apologize for. President Obama is a nightmare, all right -- for tyrants, terrorists, and pirates.

Yes, I blame Dubya and a bunch of Republican pols for the economic downturn of 2007-2009; I also recognize that unemployment is a lagging indicator. From here on, President Barack Obama has responsibility for economic stewardship, and any failure on his part is his. The economy is growing fast enough to cut deficits as more people are employed, businesses make profits in an improving economy, fewer people need emergency relief, and tax revenues increase.  

General Motors is alive, Osama bin Laden is dead, and Barack Obama will be a two-term President!

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »

Please see my signature.
MSG
MSG@LUC
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:20:55 PM »

First thing I thought about when reading the op

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »

...I personally sold off all of my American assets yesterday except some real estate in the southwest, some grocery chain stocks, my TIPS and some cash.

LOL - rich.

But I greatly appreciate the hilarious post.  Its much more fun that those other guys acting mature and rational by admitting they were wrong and so forth.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »

I sincerely hope that Politico's rant is mere performance art. If it is not, I am quite concerned for him. Sad
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »

Victory is sweet.

Also, re. the Christie hate: Further evidence that he will be a Cuomo hack come 2016.
evan83
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2012, 01:49:59 PM by evan83 »

And yet, the country you're thinking of moving to probably would've voted for Obama by a double-digit landslide.    Unless your sick relative lives in Pakistan.

Oh, the irony of Romneytards.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »

I'll be back at some point after Mitt Romney is officially declared president-elect.
So why are you here again?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »

Blaming Chris Christie is the dumbest talking point that Fox News has been perpetrated in a long time. So what he said some nice things about a President when he HELPED HIM WITH A DISASTER. Also, boo hoo he couldn't campaign with an incompetent when he had a real thing to deal with in his state. Piss off Politico.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »

lol where is that from?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 02:50:15 PM »

So God hates Romney?

I guess that makes sense.
ill ind

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »

The Mypalfish thread for 2012?

Ill_Ind
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »

You're delusional if you think Sandy had that degree of effect on the race. You're an outright loon if you think Christie did. Sandy barely affected any of the swing states he needed to win, and Obama's handling of it may have helped him some but it's unlikely it would have been enough to swing the election.

Romney lost for a number of reasons, many of them his or his party's fault.

For one he didn't have a clear message. But how could he? In order to win the primary he has to pander to the fringes that make up the base of the Republican party and the Tea Party, but he can't win the general election with that message so he has to change it for the general election. It makes it clear he'll say whatever he needs to say to get elected, so to many he just doesn't stand for anything. Just being the other guy isn't enough, especially when the other guy is well defined - whatever you think about Obama, he's consistent enough that you can know what he stands for.

Another problem is that he lost the fight over his image. He became just a rich guy who is out of touch with the problems of average people. His candid 47% comment pretty much sunk any chance of him appearing to care.

The general Republican attitude towards abortion is also not helpful as it alienates women. This is especially bad when it's usually men telling women what to do with their reproductive systems. What's worse some Republican pols managed to make a political issue out of rape! This issue is a total catch-22 for Republicans - they can't get their base to vote for them in the primaries without it, but they can't win on the national stage with it.

There's also this pervasive attitude among certain elements of the Republicans which you yourself display - anyone who doesn't agree with you is a Kool-Aid drinking idiot, the Dems are out to destroy America, Obama wasn't born here and why hasn't he shown his birth certificate even though he has, only our views are patriotic, etc. The Republican party is infested with far more craziness and ignorance than the Democrats are right now, and it's obvious to many.

On the flip side Obama just ran a better campaign. He had a better ground game and got voters to turn out in the places he needed them to turn out. The auto bailout helped a lot in Ohio as well. Job numbers weren't improving at a high rate but the numbers were still good enough to not hurt him at least.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »

Classic.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2012, 03:04:11 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You might want to get that checked out, man.

Romney lost this election when he failed to win the second debate. The right strategy in a townhall debate provided the best opporunity to connect with people, humanize and articulate his policies. An much more solid performance early on with made Romney more solid when he hit on the Libya question and thus less likely to bungle it. He was so far down that in September, that he needed that second debate domination to have a chance, one wasn't enough.

Too avoid being so dependent on lightning striking twice in the same place, he would have had to make some different choices early on and Dibble has some good points on that. Avoiding 47%, getting that primary done sooner, having a "Hispanic Strategy", making a deal with Paul of some kind, running a better convention, and not having an idiot win the primary in a MO Senate race and then steal the news cycles leading up to your convention would have helped a great deal.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »

There's also this pervasive attitude among certain elements of the Republicans which you yourself display - anyone who doesn't agree with you is a Kool-Aid drinking idiot, the Dems are out to destroy America, Obama wasn't born here and why hasn't he shown his birth certificate even though he has, only our views are patriotic, etc. The Republican party is infested with far more craziness and ignorance than the Democrats are right now, and it's obvious to many.

Extremely well said.  The Democrats are not immune to craziness, but the Republicans are far, FAR worse.  This is what drove me, a passionate centrist (if that's not an oxymoron) away from the party, and I know I'm not the only one.  And yet the response to their loss, at least in some quarters, is that they should become even crazier.

This is a good time to recall the words of Senator George Mitchell to Oliver North during the Iran-Contra hearings: "It is possible to disagree with you and still love God and country just as much as you do."  Too many of today's Republicans don't accept this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies