Mitt Romney Saw Twilight.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:16:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney Saw Twilight.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mitt Romney Saw Twilight.  (Read 4750 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 06:33:46 AM »

The fact that people bash Twilight so much is really funny. It's almost an instinct. While I'm no fan (have read the first two books, though), it is such overkill. It's basically "I'VE NEVER READ TWILIGHT BUT OTHERS DON'T LIKE IT SO I HATE IT TOO!!!" *sigh* Are there far better books? Yes. Far better movies? Uh-huh. But Twilight wasn't created to be a masterpiece, just (harmless and somewhat bizarre) fun. And it should be judged on those merits.

First off,  Twilight was to the same audience as Hunger Games, and the latter has not been criticised or mocked (at least no more than the average book/movie). So it's not because people don't belong to its target audience that they hate it. I personal think it's because Twilight is not harmless, it take behaviours (stalking and controlling), which we usual see as creepy and often are sign of danger and idealise them as romantic, while at the same time push a ideal of women as passive. That's not harmless, especially not as it's tweens and young teens who are the target audience. The focus on abstinence and only sex after marriage, I also find slightly distasteful, but it's just my cultural norms which make it so, through the whole much elder man and virgin bride barely out of her teens are rather creepy and unhealthy again.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 06:37:59 AM »

I just don't recall Harry Potter-bashing.

There was a lot of Potter bashing, and some of it had good points, but in general the Harry Potter books are harmless, because they few bad lessons to transfer to the real world. That they are also well written and a bunch of good movies also ensure that there are fewer thing to bash.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 09:49:44 AM »

The fact that people bash Twilight so much is really funny. It's almost an instinct. While I'm no fan (have read the first two books, though), it is such overkill. It's basically "I'VE NEVER READ TWILIGHT BUT OTHERS DON'T LIKE IT SO I HATE IT TOO!!!" *sigh* Are there far better books? Yes. Far better movies? Uh-huh. But Twilight wasn't created to be a masterpiece, just (harmless and somewhat bizarre) fun. And it should be judged on those merits.

First off,  Twilight was to the same audience as Hunger Games, and the latter has not been criticised or mocked (at least no more than the average book/movie). So it's not because people don't belong to its target audience that they hate it. I personal think it's because Twilight is not harmless, it take behaviours (stalking and controlling), which we usual see as creepy and often are sign of danger and idealise them as romantic, while at the same time push a ideal of women as passive. That's not harmless, especially not as it's tweens and young teens who are the target audience. The focus on abstinence and only sex after marriage, I also find slightly distasteful, but it's just my cultural norms which make it so, through the whole much elder man and virgin bride barely out of her teens are rather creepy and unhealthy again.

That's a big part of it. Also vampires don't sparkle.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 10:43:35 AM »

I beg to differ, I have met plenty of males that enjoy HG, while I have only met one straight guy that enjoys Twilight (if you ever met him, he is man card revokable).
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »

I beg to differ, I have met plenty of males that enjoy HG, while I have only met one straight guy that enjoys Twilight (if you ever met him, he is man card revokable).

Just because you're outside the target audience, you can enjoy a movie especially if its good. Few people outside the target audience enjoy a bad movie.

So to say it simple; Hunger Games target audience was female tweens and young teenagers, deal with it.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »

That's a big part of it. Also vampires don't sparkle.

Vampires werew bloated rotting cannibalistic almost mindless monsters who rises from death. I see no reason for why sparkling is any worse than all the other changes 200 years of pop culture have done to the myth (except for the Mary Sue aspect, but it wasn't like Anne Rice's vampyrers was much less Mary Sue-ish than Twilight's vampyrers).
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 01:33:22 PM »

Well, if we're using anecdotal evidence now, there were three guys that I know of at my high school who liked Twilight; one of them was on the football team.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »

I thought the Twilight movies were very good movies.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »

Judging by some of his recent workout pics, he's turning into a werewolf.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies