Romney had Fireworks Planned in Boston.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:03:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney had Fireworks Planned in Boston.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Romney had Fireworks Planned in Boston.  (Read 9183 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 08:51:28 PM »

Look, I can understand the disappointment Mitt must feel after working so hard, coming so close, and ultimately losing, but in the end, his great loss was a position of power and influence that pretty much none of us will ever reach, so he doesn't get much sympathy from me. Losing THE PRESIDENCY is a lot less devastating that losing your home, your job or a loved one.

We can't really know what this race meant to him, but it's clear that there was an exuberant confidence about him and his team going into election night that was utterly shattered. What happens to you when you're about to reach the apotheosis of your life and your work, and you know that you have seized the day, but suddenly you realize that it's all been an illusion, and that you've failed on the biggest possible stage? Imagine how he must blame himself. Imagine looking into the faces of the crowd in Boston that was expecting to celebrate, saying anything to raise them out of defeat and despair. Imagine the apologies he must feel he has to make now to everyone who loves him.

The fact is that Mitt Romney will be remembered in history as a failure. Business, Olympics, government, it's all forgotten now. I don't care how many cars or houses he has, for he has enough to live out a comfortable and fulfilling life - but Election Night was surely the culmination an almost surreal human tragedy for him. I deeply sympathize with him. To wish this fate upon one's fellow man is truly criminal.
[/b]

Well, when you want a candidate to lose the election then you kind of have to expect the crushing disappointment to be included in that. I totally feel sympathy for Mitt, and watching his acceptance speech made me realize how awful he must feel. I'm sure he realizes he let a lot of people down and he's probably running through his head what might have been.

But there is a reason most people don't run for president. When you enter the race you have to expect that months and years of hard work, money, energy and time may not pay off in the end. You have to be ok with every outcome. So If Romney didn't prepare himself for a possible loss then that's on him. But like I said, he still has a lot of great things and great successes in his life and if he is truly happy with his accomplishments then he shouldn't care that most people will remember him as the guy who lost to Barack Obama.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 12:50:56 AM »

People feel sorry for Mitt Romney? Cause there are people with actual problems out there. AIDS and homelessness and all kinds of abusive relationships and so forth. Mitt Romney is the last person on the planet I feel sorry for.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 12:53:11 AM »

I couldn't give less of a sh**t about Mitt's feelings, but shouldn't the dude have had a party planned? I mean, I don't think fireworks are terribly over the top....although they would have been mega awkward in...Boston...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 01:09:32 AM »

Yeah, Romney fireworks in Salt Lake City, or even in, say, Fort Worth or Phoenix, would have been quite appropriate. But in Boston they would have been little better than an occupying army parade. They could have caused riots.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 03:19:36 AM »

The fireworks were a bad idea to begin with. Given that Massachusetts voted overwhelmingly against Romney, it would be like rubbing it in people's faces to launch fireworks if he had won the election. I get that their campaign HQ is there.. but they could have held a victory party elsewhere. Like New Hampshire, which he probably would have carried in victory.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 06:05:28 AM »

Well, he learned than money can't buy all, which is probably a shock to him.

Nah.  If he learned any sort of lesson concerning money and politics, it is more likely that it was he didn't spend enough. Wink
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »

Look, I can understand the disappointment Mitt must feel after working so hard, coming so close, and ultimately losing, but in the end, his great loss was a position of power and influence that pretty much none of us will ever reach, so he doesn't get much sympathy from me. Losing THE PRESIDENCY is a lot less devastating that losing your home, your job or a loved one.

We can't really know what this race meant to him, but it's clear that there was an exuberant confidence about him and his team going into election night that was utterly shattered. What happens to you when you're about to reach the apotheosis of your life and your work, and you know that you have seized the day, but suddenly you realize that it's all been an illusion, and that you've failed on the biggest possible stage? Imagine how he must blame himself. Imagine looking into the faces of the crowd in Boston that was expecting to celebrate, saying anything to raise them out of defeat and despair. Imagine the apologies he must feel he has to make now to everyone who loves him.

The fact is that Mitt Romney will be remembered in history as a failure. Business, Olympics, government, it's all forgotten now. I don't care how many cars or houses he has, for he has enough to live out a comfortable and fulfilling life - but Election Night was surely the culmination an almost surreal human tragedy for him. I deeply sympathize with him. To wish this fate upon one's fellow man is truly criminal.

I don't buy this at all. He lost an election? Boohoo, I guess he can go and cry himself to sleep in one of his castles. I actually did feel some sympathy for McCain when he lost - although, again, it's not like he had real problems - because at least he occasionally reminded us that he was an actual human being.

The only times the veil ever slipped and we saw the real Mitt Romney, he revealed himself to be (hat-tip to Jonathan Chait) a sneering plutocrat - why feel sympathy for him? The man's a sociopath who genuinely believes that people are poor because they don't "take responsibility for their lives". If someone posted that on this forum they'd be mauled, and rightfully so. Why is it acceptable for a Presidential candidate to say? I don't feel any sympathy for Romney - he's slime, and all I feel is a deep and gratifying schadenfreude at his defeat.

I'm not going to pretend I don't get some satisfaction from the knowledge that Romney, the pathological, sociopathic liar and fraud who we had to suffer for months, who pandered obscenely to the misogynists and Klansmen in his own party, saw his dream die on Tuesday night - he's not going to have the Presidency of the United States as a trophy, and he's not going to get a chance to deprive millions of people of their health coverage. Good!  F--k him.
wan
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »

The romney campaign was on another planet. They really thought they were winning. Drunk off the koolaid and woke up with a hangover nov 7th. This is what happen when you give karl rove millions to tell you what you wanna hear so you basically ignore gotv and the real polls then start looking at your internals later. Anyway the election is OVER. History has been made again. And books are about to be written about the mistakes that were made and hurricane sandy. Romney will go away and be yesterdays news. NEXT
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »

The fact is that Mitt Romney will be remembered in history as a failure.

No Cookie, that would have happened if he'd won. Now history outside of some dusty compendia will not remember him at all, and trust me, trust James Buchanan if you cannot trust me, it is much the nicer fate. Not to mention, the fate of all of us.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »

I was very enthusiastic about Barack Obama in 2008, but on human level I felt sad for John McCain. I haven't supported him, I disagreed with him a lot and he had his flaws, but I respected him.

Mitt Romney didn't deserve respect not sympathy, since he's unable to give it to those less fortunate than him. Also, he was extremely deluded, believing he'll win even when every evidence pointed otherwise. Remember how he looked during his concession speech? Like a kid watching with disbelief as his favorite toy broke down. Immature egoist to the end.

So, in your face, Mitt.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 02:36:14 AM »

I wonder how long before the deranged vindictive hatred of Romney some liberals hold will be transformed into nostalgia of how much better Republicans were back in the good old days - as has been done with Goldwater, Nixon, Reagan, GHWB, and now even GWBush.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 03:18:45 AM »

I wonder how long before the deranged vindictive hatred of Romney some liberals hold will be transformed into nostalgia of how much better Republicans were back in the good old days - as has been done with Goldwater, Nixon, Reagan, GHWB, and now even GWBush.

Well, if their next nominee is Akin or Bachmann... Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, 06:07:13 AM »

Well, if their next nominee is Akin or Bachmann... Tongue

Akin has a real shot at being the next Constitution Party nominee.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, 07:13:16 AM »

Personally, I always thought that Romney was a good candidate. I would never ever have supported him, but I didn't fear a Romney presidency like I feared a G.W.B. presidency, for instance. Aside from Huntsman, all of the other GOP candidates looked liked true nightmares. I would have found a Santorum or Bachmann presidency truly scary.
MrMittens
Mittens
Rookie

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »

An 8 minute fireworks spectacular over Boston Harbor is a little excessive for someone who thinks he might lose.

He's clearly delusional and used to getting his way 100% of the time.

Like Obama.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »

I feel truly sorry for the people for whom Romney losing brings true joy. I feel like I should be offended, but all I can feel is pity.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »

Bump. Romney gave a classy concession speech, but the only thing classier would've been to make a statement to the effect that, while these were meant for a victory, let's celebrate we live in the greatest country ib the world and/or dedicate them to all the hard-working volunteers who gave so much time, etc. Then let 'er rip.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »

Honestly everyone, piss off. Even in his defeat, you people can't give Mitt Romney a break. It's actually sickening. Losing a presidential election must be the most devastating thing in the world. Come on. Are you seriously going to be this petty?

i dunno, cancer's a bit of a bastard.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »

Obviously my statement was hyperbolic. But if you've spent your whole life working towards the presidency, it's gotta be tough.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »

Honestly everyone, piss off. Even in his defeat, you people can't give Mitt Romney a break. It's actually sickening. Losing a presidential election must be the most devastating thing in the world. Come on. Are you seriously going to be this petty?

i dunno, cancer's a bit of a bastard.

Yeah after all He's still rich. He actually has no problems.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2012, 04:41:22 PM »

Obviously my statement was hyperbolic. But if you've spent your whole life working towards the presidency, it's gotta be tough.

OMG, a spoiled brat who used to get everything he wanted wanted the Presidency too and he didn't get it! Cry Poor dude!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »

Hey, he stimulated the economy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »

The fact is that Mitt Romney will be remembered in history as a failure.

No Cookie, that would have happened if he'd won. Now history outside of some dusty compendia will not remember him at all, and trust me, trust James Buchanan if you cannot trust me, it is much the nicer fate. Not to mention, the fate of all of us.

Romney's place in history will be as notable as Alton B. Parker's.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »

The fact that he thought it would be a good idea to set of fireworks to celebrate his victory in Boston is another great example of how out of touch he is.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »

I hate to defend Mitt Romney, but if you thought you had a decent chance of winning, much higher than earlier in the race, and you had enough money to afford a fireworks extravangza, wouldn't you?

C'mon, think about it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies