Romney had Fireworks Planned in Boston.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:12:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney had Fireworks Planned in Boston.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Romney had Fireworks Planned in Boston.  (Read 9111 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »

Someone should have set them off either way lol. http://www.boston.com/politicalintelligence/2012/11/08/mitt-romney-planned-boston-harbor-fireworks-show-that-was-scotched-election-loss/qmgtVKPq4zNnDyb9FbLWeJ/story.html
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:18:30 PM »

Why was he so delusional about his chances? I know everyone who runs for president is in it to win it, but come on. These things are obvious nowadays to people who pay attention, and no one pays more attention than the candidates themselves. By the end of the campaign it was obvious who was winning.

I guess he was sucked in to the Fox News vacuum as well?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 06:19:18 PM »

Cheesy
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »

Why was he so delusional about his chances? I know everyone who runs for president is in it to win it, but come on. These things are obvious nowadays to people who pay attention, and no one pays more attention than the candidates themselves. By the end of the campaign it was obvious who was winning.

Pretty much my thoughts. A transition website already up and ready to go, no concession speech, and fireworks now. Might just be that when you live the extremely high end, instantly gratifying lifestyle he lives, you maybe figure you'll just win.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »

Pretty much my thoughts. A transition website already up and ready to go, no concession speech, and fireworks now. Might just be that when you live the extremely high end, instantly gratifying lifestyle he lives, you maybe figure you'll just win.
Of course he's going to be prepared for a victory. Anyone would be in that situation. And he did have a concession speech ready - he was just trying to express confidence, and admitting they had one ready would be spun as them expecting a loss, which could bring less to the polls. I don't get why so many are making such a big deal about that.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »

An 8 minute fireworks spectacular over Boston Harbor is a little excessive for someone who thinks he might lose.

He's clearly delusional and used to getting his way 100% of the time.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 06:31:22 PM »

He's no different than the talking heads on Fox, most other Republican politicians and many people on this forum.  They all really beleived their own BS.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 06:33:47 PM »

Why was he so delusional about his chances?

Because he only lost by 2% nationally, less than 2% in Ohio, and underestimated the opposition's turnout machine? He lost badly in the electoral college, but he wasn't Dole/Mondale/Dukakis/McCain etc, where the outcome was almost certain. If the numbers he was getting pointed to it being that close in Ohio and nationally then he had more reason to think he would win than Kerry did in 2004.

And as Tmth said, why would he not be prepared at all in case of a victory?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 06:36:51 PM »

Mitt Romney is a sad, entitled little man, and luckily we'll never have to hear about or from him ever again.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »

Honestly everyone, piss off. Even in his defeat, you people can't give Mitt Romney a break. It's actually sickening. Losing a presidential election must be the most devastating thing in the world. Come on. Are you seriously going to be this petty?

Romney's strategy never involved the type of personal slander we've seen, and continue to see, from Obama folks.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 06:49:39 PM »

I have no compassion for Mitt Romney.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »

Because he only lost by 2% nationally, less than 2% in Ohio, and underestimated the opposition's turnout machine?

Remember: Obama could have lost Florida, Virginia, and Ohio - and still he would have won.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »

Losing a presidential race is the most devastating thing in the world? I hope that's a joke.

The fact that he has a life that allows him to run for president means he'll never experience the misery millions of Americans face everyday. That's part of what makes him so delusional and out of touch.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »

Honestly everyone, piss off. Even in his defeat, you people can't give Mitt Romney a break. It's actually sickening. Losing a presidential election must be the most devastating thing in the world. Come on. Are you seriously going to be this petty?

Romney's strategy never involved the type of personal slander we've seen, and continue to see, from Obama folks.

Welcome to American politics.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:04 PM »

Honestly everyone, piss off. Even in his defeat, you people can't give Mitt Romney a break. It's actually sickening. Losing a presidential election must be the most devastating thing in the world.

Nah, I'm pretty sure building a stage for Mitt Romney to stand on so that he can tell you that you're losing your job and your health insurance so that he can be a few million dollars richer is a little more devastating than losing an election. Romney spent his entire life profiting from devastating people's lives. I have no sympathy for him.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »

Mitt Romney is a sad, entitled little man, and luckily we'll never have to hear about or from him ever again.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »

I take it you're in Canada? Well buddy, you can be glad that the GOP with George Bush, Karl Rove, and Dick Cheney didn't bankrupt your country with free tax cuts, free wars, and free lunches for the rich. So no, none of us really feel too badly for Mitt. He can kick back in the Virgin Islands and sip pina coladas now if he wants to, and America will be better for it.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »

Of course he's going to be prepared for a victory. Anyone would be in that situation. And he did have a concession speech ready - he was just trying to express confidence, and admitting they had one ready would be spun as them expecting a loss, which could bring less to the polls. I don't get why so many are making such a big deal about that.
Actually I'm with Tmth on that one. Clearly, I don't feel bad for Romney, cause millions of $ will guarantee he'll recover quite well quite quick, but come on, cut him some slack : you absolutely know that hadn't he prepared festivities for the win, someone would've twitted that for the liberal media to use (and I'm talking of the real liberal media here) to say he doesn't believe in his own victory.
Same goes for the Prez-elect website.
Same goes for the "not having written a concession speech" thingy.
We would've posted those things here right on, and gloated about them. And we would've been right to gloat, because in Twitter society 2.0, those kind of things actually can give or take a few momentum points to a race.

So no, really, of course the campaign had a firework. Few red avatars here can say they were not a tad bit worried until the last week, so why would the Romney campaign wouldn't be a bit confident, really confident ?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »

Because he only lost by 2% nationally, less than 2% in Ohio, and underestimated the opposition's turnout machine?

Remember: Obama could have lost Florida, Virginia, and Ohio - and still he would have won.

What's at issue here is his expectation, and they had every reason to expect that if they won FL, OH, VA and nationally, that they would win somewhere else.

Again, this isn't a case where he was coming up with decoration ideas for the Oval Office, its a planned victory party in case he won, which was certainly not outside of the realm of possibility.
Mister Twister

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »

Wow, what a waste of good fireworks

JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 07:36:43 PM »

Were these paid for with campaign funds?
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 07:59:28 PM »

Look, I can understand the disappointment Mitt must feel after working so hard, coming so close, and ultimately losing, but in the end, his great loss was a position of power and influence that pretty much none of us will ever reach, so he doesn't get much sympathy from me. Losing THE PRESIDENCY is a lot less devastating that losing your home, your job or a loved one.

Mitt has a lot to come home to so he'll be just fine.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 08:05:10 PM »

An 8 minute fireworks spectacular over Boston Harbor is a little excessive for someone who thinks he might lose.

He's clearly delusional and used to getting his way 100% of the time.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/romney-spends-day-tearfully-apologizing-at-fathers,30312/

This Onion article would be really funny if it weren't probably what actually happened. I mean, the guy wrote "DAD" on his paper during every debate. Seriously, it's not hard to imagine why he might've been really hoping that he would win.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »

Well, he learned than money can't buy all, which is probably a shock to him.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2012, 08:38:35 PM by homelycooking »

Look, I can understand the disappointment Mitt must feel after working so hard, coming so close, and ultimately losing, but in the end, his great loss was a position of power and influence that pretty much none of us will ever reach, so he doesn't get much sympathy from me. Losing THE PRESIDENCY is a lot less devastating that losing your home, your job or a loved one.

We can't really know what this race meant to him, but it's clear that there was an exuberant confidence about him and his team going into election night that was utterly shattered. What happens to you when you're about to reach the apotheosis of your life and your work, and you know that you have seized the day, but suddenly you realize that it's all been an illusion, and that you've failed on the biggest possible stage? Imagine how he must blame himself. Imagine looking into the faces of the crowd in Boston that was expecting to celebrate, saying anything to raise them out of defeat and despair. Imagine the apologies he must feel he has to make now to everyone who loves him.

The fact is that Mitt Romney will be remembered in history as a failure. Business, Olympics, government, it's all forgotten now. I don't care how many cars or houses he has, for he has enough to live out a comfortable and fulfilling life - but Election Night was surely the culmination an almost surreal human tragedy for him. I deeply sympathize with him. To wish this fate upon one's fellow man is truly criminal.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies