The poor have much more at stake in politics than wealthier people
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:18:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The poor have much more at stake in politics than wealthier people
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The poor have much more at stake in politics than wealthier people  (Read 310 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »

In pondering the continual massive support that liberal leaning candidates rack up in poorer urban communities outside of white appalachia, I think one thing that conservative candidates have to take into account is that for the poor voting for a pro big government candidate is very important, far more important than it is for a middle to upper class voter to support a more conservative candidate.
    I say this because for a poor person, say a struggling single mom who is dependent on taxpayer financed services for foodstamps, school lunches, housing and medical subsidies etc, a cutback of say, 5,000 dollars less in benefits, is far more significant than a tax cut of equal amount to someone making 250,000 thousand dollars.  Also, for many wealthier voters, pure economics doesn't have to enter into things as much.  They can afford to "vote against their self interest" so to speak, but for someone who really needs the taxpayers to come through for them, there is no room for voting for a small government candidate.  When your margin for error is so small, you don't want to engage in electoral experiments. 

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:40:03 PM »

Not at all.
The rich have their investment at stake. The poor have only a choice of lesser evils.
rob in cal
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 04:01:52 PM »

What I'm referring to is today's current politics, where even if the Democrats win total power, the most that they are talking about would be relatively small tax increases, and they don't talk about nationalizing business, or massive employer mandates, which would impact many wealthy people, nor do they talk about massive capital gains tax rate increases, or going to a 95% estate tax rate, or things of that nature, which would definetly energize upper income people I would think.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »

What I'm referring to is today's current politics, where even if the Democrats win total power, the most that they are talking about would be relatively small tax increases, and they don't talk about nationalizing business, or massive employer mandates, which would impact many wealthy people, nor do they talk about massive capital gains tax rate increases, or going to a 95% estate tax rate, or things of that nature, which would definetly energize upper income people I would think.

Very true. For all the talk that Obama= class warfare, he's pretty tame on that front. Nothing to get the rich/upper middle class excited about.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 04:47:05 AM »

As I said, choice of lesser evils versus investments at risk. As opposed to, a lot to hope for vs a lot to fear for.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 09:23:58 AM »

Yeah, and this is why the "fiscal cliff" is more like the "fiscal step." I don't think it's a bad idea to let a lot of it take effect. Raising taxes to Clinton levels on people over 250K shouldn't even be a debate. That should be automatic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies