PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:05:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE  (Read 2505 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2005, 12:58:07 PM »
« edited: February 06, 2005, 03:51:31 PM by Secretary King »

Good morning from the University of the Pacific Michael R. L. Wildcard Center in San Diego, California. I'm Secretary King of the National Atlasian.

And I welcome you to the first and only presidential debate between Chief Justice KEmperor, the Republican, Constitutional Union, and Atlas Freedom nominee; Lt. Governor Lewis Trondheim, the Democratic and United Left nominee; and Senator Al, the Farmer Labor nomineee.

These debates are sponsored by the League of Kings and broadcasted live by Mid-Atlantic News and the National Atlasian.

This debate will last 5 days, following detailed rules of engagement.

There is no specific topic, but the specific subjects were chosen by me, the questions were either composed by me or submitted by an audience member, the candidates have not been told what they are, nor has anyone else.  If you have a question for a candidate that you wish to be in this debate, please PM me with your question and who it is directed to.

For each question there shall be a 12-hour time for response, a 6-hour rebuttal and, at my discretion, a discussion extension of one hour.

Candidates may not direct a question to each other. There will be two-hour closing statements, but no opening statements.

All audience members shall remain absolutely silent for the next five days, except for now, when they join me in welcoming Cheif Justice Emperor, Lt. Governor Trondheim, and Senator Realpolitik.

A personal question directed to all candidates from Mr. Ian of Arkansas:
Who are your 3 biggest politicians that influence you and why?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 09:01:53 AM »

Thanks for your question, Ian.
I should say first of all that I have been influenced more by political writers and thinkers than by actual politicians. However, there are some politicians that have been important for me.
While I wouldn't say that he was a "big" man, the Atlas politician who has most inspired me was the late Secretary of Defence and founder-chairman of the Progressive Party, Uzi Dunn. Here was a man with a vision, a vision of a progressive, united, constitutionally-governed Atlasia. The last, but certainly not least, of these goals has come to pass, and now we're working on the other two.

Another great Atlasian whom I hold in very high regard, and who is still active in Atlas politics today, is our first President, Eric Nyman, now a Senator. I have said it before, but I will say it again: Before I decided to seek the Presidency myself, I attempted to convince him to run for another term.

Outside of our borders, a politician who has been important to me is Jürgen Trittin, now Germany's Secretary of the Environment. He has risen from radical student politics to the cabinet while remaining true to himself and his basic convictions, an admirable feat. I know he's not as immensely popular as his Green party cabinet colleague Joschka Fischer, whose biography is similar if more colorful, but that's the price of not selling out. It's a price that I too am willing to pay.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 05:19:24 PM »

Doesn't anyone care about this?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 07:26:19 AM »

Wtf? No presidential debate then, or what?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 07:45:07 AM »

My vote will be determined by this debate most likely, and so therefore Lewis is dong well to get it Tongue
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 05:53:05 PM »

Sorry for my lateness, I got stuck at a MIKE NASO!!! rally.  There are so many possiblities, but I will limit myself to three of America's founding fathers:

1)  My first answer is George Washington. Unfortunately this has become a cliché.  In modern politically correct society today many treat him as a "white, male oppressor."   Washington’s achievements reflected his outstanding moral character. He set for himself the highest standards in everything he did and thus became exemplar for his associates and his fellow countrymen.

Perhaps Washington’s most important legacy was his attitude towards political power.  Washington, our first president, set the example for future presidents by limiting himself to two terms in office. He is reputed to have said, "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence -- it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearsome master." This is an understanding that too many American citizens and politicians have lost.

2)  My second answer is Thomas Jefferson.  Jefferson is best known as the leading "classical liberal" in American history. As the author of the Declaration of Independence, he outlined the political principles that launched the new nation. As the framer of the Virginia Statute for Religious Liberty, he spearheaded early efforts to separate church and state. As president of the United States, he fostered the fledgling country's continental expansion, setting the stage for America to become a global power.

3)  My final answer is Benjamin Franklin.  Unlike many of America's Founders, Franklin was not a ruralist; he was a man of cities, spending his life in Boston, Philadelphia, London, and Paris. As a result, he had a much greater appreciation for the importance of civil society than did the plantation owners of Virginia, and he took an active part in creating local civic institutions. Franklin also had a much greater appreciation for the high achievements of European science than did many of the America's Founders.  I will end with a quote from Franklin himself:

"Knowledge is of little use, when confined to mere speculation: But when speculative truths are reduced to practice, when theories grounded upon experiments, are applied to common purposes of life; and when, by these, agriculture is improved, trade enlarged, the arts of living made more easy and comfortable, and, of course, the increase and happiness of mankind promoted; knowledge then becomes really useful."

This is precisely the spirit of rational productiveness that inspires me in my political beliefs.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 08:50:47 PM »

I think we should extend the debate.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 09:01:56 PM »

I'm willing to participate, but no one seems to be really interested.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 09:59:41 PM »

Lewis answered first.  Besides, he's in another time zone.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 10:12:37 PM »

Lewis answered first.  Besides, he's in another time zone.

What I mean is the fact that I dont think anyone is reading this thread except for a few people.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 10:22:09 PM »

I've been reading the answers.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 10:30:23 PM »

I've been reading the answers too.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 10:56:50 PM »

me 3
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 05:05:33 AM »

This thread does have 180 views by now...which isn't bad at all for a one-page thread. So I guess some people must have been reading.
Anyways, King, next question?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 05:10:10 AM »

This thread does have 180 views by now...which isn't bad at all for a one-page thread. So I guess some people must have been reading.
Anyways, King, next question?

still typing my answer to the first one...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 05:11:20 AM »

Ah, you're back. Thank God for that. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 06:27:50 AM »

Sorry I'm late... I've not had internet connection at home for the past few days (it's back now) and as I'm not very well at the moment, I've not been able to use computers in public libraries...

Interesting question Ian... after giving this a bit of thought, I'd say the following have been the biggest influences on me:

My first answer is the former Premier of Saskatchewan, Tommy Douglas.
Douglas came from a humble background: a poor immigrant who became a Baptist minister in a small town in the middle of the prairies.
When the Depression struck, Douglas went into politics and the rest is history.
Douglas understood, and proved, that you can put people first, keep your principles, run an ethical administration... and still balance the budget.

My next choice is the former U.S House Speaker, Tip O'Neill.
O'Neill was a big man with a big heart who spent his entire political career fighting for the little guy... even when it was politically unfashionable to do so.

Finally, I choose the former Governer of Minnesota, Floyd B Olson.
Olson was probably the best Governer of the twentieth century, rivalled only by Huey Long and Bob LaFollette, and during his time as Governer, he helped both the urban and rural poor (and when he came to power that was most people in Minnesota... and the rest of the U.S come to think of it) cope with the bleak horrors of the early '30's.

All three were willing to compromise and co-operate to get things done... but they also stood up both for their principles and for ordinary folks trying to make ends meet.
And that is what I'll do, if I'm elected President.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 06:39:12 AM »

oooh, that's a good set of answers....
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 08:13:05 PM »

That's the only question I have from the audience, please give me more...

To Senator Al:  You have recently voted Aye on a spending bill after saying "it's just fake money, kids".  Does this mean you do not care about the fiscal future of Atlasia?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 08:16:54 PM »

To Senator Al:  You have recently voted Aye on a spending bill after saying "it's just fake money, kids".  Does this mean you do not care about the fiscal future of Atlasia?

Someone in the audience laughs....  Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2005, 08:25:02 PM »

Someone in the audience laughs....  Wink

Someone in the audience shouts "NO!! PLEASE!!! LET GO OF ME!!! I'M SORR..." *gun shot*
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2005, 12:19:07 PM »

{{{crickets}}}
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2005, 01:41:27 PM »

nobody asks me any questions whatsoever (breaks down and sobs)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2005, 01:59:26 PM »

Good question.
My remark was supposed to be ironic (I don't think a lot of money was actually being spent by the bill and seeing opposition to it being based on money seemed odd to me at the time)... I actually do care about fiscal responsibility, and have made this clear on several occasions... as an example I tried to clean up the confusion over who's supposed to write the budget, while trying to make sure that said budget was reasonably balanced while being flexible if needed.
The ammendment went down in the public poll, but you can't blame me for trying.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2005, 03:18:01 PM »

This debate was supposed to end on the 12th, but since we are only on question #3...I'll let it slide Wink

To Lewis, From Akno21: Why aren't you campaigning more?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies