Confirmation Hearing: Speed of Sound to be Sec of Internal Affairs (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:15:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Speed of Sound to be Sec of Internal Affairs (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Speed of Sound to be Sec of Internal Affairs (Confirmed)  (Read 819 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »
« edited: November 16, 2012, 02:47:20 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Executive Order

I appoint Speed of Sound as Secretary of Internal Affairs.

Senators have 72 hours to question the nominee.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:09:27 PM »

I can't think of more fitting set of initials for a potential SoIA at this point. Grin

Speed of Sound, will you committ to being available on a regular and functional basis for those who depend upon the department for the function of various programs, including regions governments and other federal governemnt departments?

Will you respect the committee process and submit yourself to regular questioning by the Internal Affairs Committee and/or the Government Oversight and Reform Committee?

Which program will be your first priority in terms of getting the Department back on track?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »

I can't think of more fitting set of initials for a potential SoIA at this point. Grin

Speed of Sound, will you committ to being available on a regular and functional basis for those who depend upon the department for the function of various programs, including regions governments and other federal governemnt departments?

Will you respect the committee process and submit yourself to regular questioning by the Internal Affairs Committee and/or the Government Oversight and Reform Committee?

Which program will be your first priority in terms of getting the Department back on track?
I tell you, to be speak informally at first, this really is very exciting! Smiley

Now, Mr. Senator, I can tell you all truly that I can say with certainty that I have and will have the time and commit the effort to execute this office to all expectations and necessities. I understand that this office covers a broad range and that I cannot simply be disappearing for multiple days; I will maintain a clean and active office, but will also be keeping up on all news within our government and our public political sphere.

I will happily under any scenario respect the committee process and will comply with the requests and questionings of either committee. This is not a job that can be done alone, and I need to show full trust, openness, and compromise to fulfill it rightly.

As I mentioned just above, the most important part of being the SoIA is being active and connected. I have researched as deep as I can what previous SoIAs have done with the position, and what level of freedom that they have had, but I hope to work with GM shua to create more domestic events in Atlasia and increase detail regarding bills passed that fall within my realm. I also hope to actually give the speechs at least as necessary if not more often than required to the Senate. Furthermore, I hope to argue for legislation to be introduced and comment on/suggest amendments to relevant bills. Otherwise, the most important thing is to keep up with the requests made by others to me as quick and consistently as possible, to improve the public image of the office and make it a more integrated part of regional and national politics.

Again, despite my research, I am sure that my absence in the last year and change means that I am at risk of misunderstanding/overstepping the boundaries of my office, but this is the atmosphere I hope to bring, and many kind gentlemen have taken up the task of correcting my procedural goofs in recent times, for which I thank them, and for which I thank any of you should you have to do so regarding my answer above.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »

Atleast your overstepping will be fun to react to, unlike Morgieb's understepping, which was just depressing. Tongue
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »

Mr. SoS, do you believe that it is more imperative to provide food or words to the poor?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:09:45 PM »

Mr. SoS, do you believe that it is more imperative to provide food or words to the poor?
yes, but that iS not for me to job;its for onyl one.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:11:47 PM »

Since it has been such a long time since you last held an orfice, might you briefly state experiences and qualifications that you have, for the amusement and/or indulgence of the Senate? Tongue
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »

Since it has been such a long time since you last held an orfice, might you briefly state experiences and qualifications that you have, for the amusement and/or indulgence of the Senate? Tongue
Heavens, Mr. Senator, I hardly think that this is the place for such crude and direct flirtation! Tongue

On the grounds that long winded speechs about glory days is sort of my thing, I'd love to retell my Atlasian tale.

I firmly believe that, beyond my desire to do the job and my present capacity, I have built a career's worth of experiences that will make me a better SoIA.

If I may, I'd like to begin with this quote from Atlasian great Jas:

I'm undecided as of now, as The General lost my support following his lack of campaigning, why should I support you?

Preston's activity levels in Atlasia, either in office or in this campaign are both concerning. His running-mate, Speed of Sound, is making a brave effort to continue the campaign and his activity levels in each of his Atlasian roles cannot be questioned. Indeed the difference between Preston and SoS's contributions to this campaign are reflective of their activity differences in office - I'd note that Speed of Sound was an active Secretary for External Affairs who engaged in diplomatic missions. Preston merely established an office and failed to engage in any activities. For my money, that ticket would be best turned upside down. The activity and contribution levels of Preston are something which would concern me greatly should he be elected. </snip>

If nothing else, my passion for bringing about activity in Atlasia is a long recorded attribute. Indeed, it is my time as SoEA and my time as Editor-in-Chief of the Atlasian Messenger which I think make me the best man for this job. Being SoEA meant that I had to be creative and interesting and political but also unbiased as a diplomat and creator of events. It was a ton of fun and I held the position for 4 months valiantly, as much time as is being vested in me now. My attempts to dig further into my time as SoEA have been a bit difficult, unfortunately, other than that I recall working hard to involve Atlasia in a grander world scale, which, beyond setting a military budget, we rarely seemed to do then (or indeed now).

Regarding my time as the Editor-in-Chief of The Atlasian Messenger, once long ago a premier newspaper in Atlasia, I had to be able to keep up with and understand all parts of the political world and be able to give insightful but also interesting spins on those events (like this or even ...eerrr.....this?). These writing and thinking skills (and skills of appeal) are all as relevant to this job as they were to that one, other than that for the paper you fine gents made all of the juicy news for me. Wink For what it's worth, the paper boasts a total of 25,387 pageviews. (...My brief stint of doing "Cheese of the Week" for the Messenger does not fall into this realm, I don't think.) For a long time, I also had a number of writers under me, and I had to co-ordinate more than a one person effort.

Whether or not my part in the Midwest Secession, which did ultimately lead to election reform, is considered a good or bad thing to you all is for you and only you to decide. Wink
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 03:12:58 PM »

Mr. Speed or Sound, what do you think on the gubernatorial succession crisis in Iowa? Otherwise I fully support your nomination.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 05:27:52 PM »

Mr. Speed or Sound, what do you think on the gubernatorial succession crisis in Iowa? Otherwise I fully support your nomination.
I would hate to have to send my own men in to settle the matter, Mr. Senator...I'm hoping the local "nobles" have fixed this all up before I get sworn in...

After all, we wouldn't want drama, would we?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »

I'm more than happy with your answers so far, and look forward to us having an active SoIA for the first time in a while. One more thing, will you commit to resigning promptly if it ever becomes apparent that you won't have the time to be as active as the job demands?

Other than that, no other questions.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »

Time ran out on debate 30 minutes ago and no extension was filed for.

Senators, confirmation of this bureaucratic sle...err...fine and competent offical will proceed immediately, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 07:44:54 PM »

OH YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT'S AYE!!!!!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »

Aye
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »

Aye
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »

Aye
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 02:04:44 AM »

Aye
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 05:28:47 AM »

AYE!!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 07:31:41 AM »

AYE
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 09:33:08 AM »

I would have more than likely voted to confirm anyway, but I'm especially enthusiastic because Speed of Sound was kind enough to PM me a response to my question since I missed the questioning period.

Aye!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »

Final Vote on Confirmation of Speed of Sound to be Secretary of Internal Affairs:

Aye (9): Averroës Nix, Ben, Franzl, HagridOfTheDeep, JulioMadrid, NC Yankee, Oalvake, Simfan34, and Snowstalker.
Nay (0):
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (1): Marokai Blue

With nine votes in the affirmative, the bureaucrat to be has been confirmed.

Points to the Senator, whose name I purposely butched, but only if he himself notices. Evil
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 02:50:02 PM »

Points to the Senator, whose name I purposely butched, but only if he himself notices. Evil

I don't get a point for noticing Sad
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 02:53:08 PM »

The point can only go to the person I vicitimized in that situation, of course. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies