Shelby County, TN Presidential Results - Precinct Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:17:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Shelby County, TN Presidential Results - Precinct Map
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Shelby County, TN Presidential Results - Precinct Map  (Read 10142 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:59:11 AM »

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »

Thanks! Extremely predictable, but interesting nonetheless. It's amazing how diverse the North side of Bartlett and Cordova have become. What's up with that strong Obama area near Macon and Houston Levee? Wouldn't expect it to be majority black out there.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:29:50 PM »

Is Germantown a particularly rich tea party not IMBY(referring to blacks of course) suburb?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:16:22 AM »

Is Germantown a particularly rich tea party not IMBY(referring to blacks of course) suburb?
Germantown is the richest town in the whole metro area. Country club kind of place. They are notorious for their extremely picky zoning and sign laws. They will come and get you if your grass is an inch too high or you leave your garage door open, etc.  Quite a few horses live out there also. Not exclusively uber rich. There are a few apartment complexes and some only slightly large homes, but plenty of obscene wealth as well. The eastern side of Germantown is newer and particularly extravagant. I find a lot of the ginormous houses in poor taste, but I'm certainly not going to be in the market for million dollar real estate anyway. Police don't have much to do, so they are notorious for their speed traps. If you are a black who drives an old GM product, I'd advise avoiding Germantown altogether. By far, the places with the highest concentration of blacks are the public schools. Many white people prefer to go the private route, and Shelby County Schools is still forced by the courts to draw crazy district lines for the purposes of integration. As a result Germantown High School is majority, though not overwhelmingly, black. The parts of Memphis just west of Germantown are very fancy as well, without the oppressive police state.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:55:07 AM »

So what happens if you refuse to cut your grass... or at least keep it at the specified length? Would you get fined? and then if you refuse to pay the fines, get arrested? lololol
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »

So what happens if you refuse to cut your grass... or at least keep it at the specified length? Would you get fined? and then if you refuse to pay the fines, get arrested? lololol
All towns around here have ordinances regarding grass. It's a property maintenance issue and a public health issue as wildly overgrown grass encourages snakes and rodents and other nasty critters. Germantown, however, takes it to an extreme and will cite you for just slightly overgrown grass. It's similar to a parking ticket. Small fine at first with increasingly penalties for serial noncompliance. Most neighborhoods in Germantown also have active neighborhood associations, each with their own rules. Common no-nos at that level include things that are perceived to hurt property values like renting your home or putting up a chain link fence around your yard. The neighborhood associations can go to court and get a lien against your property if you refuse to follow the rules. They also have rather pricy dues, which must be paid each year above the county and municipal property taxes. Some, but not all, will also have a neighborhood clubhouse, pool, tennis court, gym etc. that is part of the package, but you must join the association and follow the rules if you own a property in the neighborhood. Did I mention that these people are 100% dyed in the wool "small gov't" Republicans?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:50:29 PM »

Do you have a racial breakdown.  I somehow suspect most of the Obama precincts are either majority African-American or at least over 40% African-American.  A college campus is the only area I could see him winning where it is over 60% white.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 11:31:12 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2012, 11:35:38 PM by memphis »

Do you have a racial breakdown.  I somehow suspect most of the Obama precincts are either majority African-American or at least over 40% African-American.  A college campus is the only area I could see him winning where it is over 60% white.
The white liberal area is Midtown. The pale red in the center of the west part of the 240 loop. Lots of pretty early 20th century homes, many quite large and fancy. Plenty of young people in aging apartments as well. Quite a diverse area economically. It is common there to have a few blocks of million dollar homes next to blocks of genuinely shady low rent properties. White people, especially those with money, live along Poplar Avenue, which cuts through town out to the elite suburbs of Germantown and Collierville. As you can see by the deep red color, blacks live on the north and south sides of town, most of which are not pleasant places at all. The far SE is home to many higher income blacks, although many of them prefer to live in majority white neighborhoods also.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 12:06:34 PM »

Ah good ole Memphis! I grew up there. Interesting to see this, and I agree it's very predictable.  Do you have any other election years for Shelby County?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 12:57:44 PM »

The South side of Memphis should move across the border and take over Mississippi
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 02:15:53 PM »

Moving all the county to Mississippi would cut Romney's margin there by two thirds. Grin

Using only the continuous D precincts, would that actually flip the state?
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 02:08:24 AM »

I'd love to see a breakdown of precincts for Desoto County, MS especially those bordering Shelby. Oh the irony, I'm sure.
danny
Israel

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 07:54:54 AM »
« Edited: December 14, 2012, 07:56:42 AM by danny »

All towns around here have ordinances regarding grass. It's a property maintenance issue and a public health issue as wildly overgrown grass encourages snakes and rodents and other nasty critters. Germantown, however, takes it to an extreme and will cite you for just slightly overgrown grass. It's similar to a parking ticket. Small fine at first with increasingly penalties for serial noncompliance. Most neighborhoods in Germantown also have active neighborhood associations, each with their own rules. Common no-nos at that level include things that are perceived to hurt property values like renting your home or putting up a chain link fence around your yard. The neighborhood associations can go to court and get a lien against your property if you refuse to follow the rules. They also have rather pricy dues, which must be paid each year above the county and municipal property taxes. Some, but not all, will also have a neighborhood clubhouse, pool, tennis court, gym etc. that is part of the package, but you must join the association and follow the rules if you own a property in the neighborhood. Did I mention that these people are 100% dyed in the wool "small gov't" Republicans?

Wow I hear complaints of "big government" over silly things, but this really sounds like big government in action. No one cares when anyone in my house cuts the grass, and it's none of their business anyway.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 10:28:53 AM »

Moving all the county to Mississippi would cut Romney's margin there by two thirds. Grin

Using only the continuous D precincts, would that actually flip the state?

Almost certainly. It would also bring the races into parity. Almost. It would also make for a very funny looking state Tongue
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »

If you simply put Shelby County in Mississippi, Romney still wins the state 51/48, but with a difference of only 51K votes. Wow! So if you were to take that a step further and only include the Dem vote from Shelby Co., Obama would win MS by 84K votes. So, somewhere in between that would yield the shock of the century, hypothetically.

Interestingly enough, The vote from TN without Shelby Co actually didn't change as much as I thought. Without Shelby, TN would be 64/35 Romney. I thought it would be more like 72% Romney.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 06:06:51 PM »

Two points:
1. It wouldn't be the shock of the century. It would be a well known fact that Greater Mississippi would be a swing state.
2. You greatly overestimate the percent of TN that lives in Shelby County if you think we can swing the state that much. We're only about 15% of the state, and dropping every day.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 01:18:41 AM »

I'd love to see a breakdown of precincts for Desoto County, MS especially those bordering Shelby. Oh the irony, I'm sure.

A precinct breakdown for Desoto would be interesting, as Desoto isn't monolithic.  When you drive into Memphis from Desoto , it's certainly not obvious.  Minorities do move to the suburbs too.  The demographic shifts  in many metro Atlanta counties over the decades have been almost comical, and while Memphis doesn't have anywhere near the growth as Atlanta, demographic shift could still occur beyond the city limits.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 02:22:08 AM »

Local paper did an article about the precinct level results.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/dec/31/presidential-vote-by-precinct-reveals-shelby-of/
Most important part
You must be logged in to read this quote.
WSMS is my precinct.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 03:00:27 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2012, 03:03:38 AM by cope1989 »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/census/2010/

Check out this cool demographic map of the US. One thing that stood out concerning this region is that there is a precinct in Shelby County that is 95% black sitting right next to a precinct in DeSoto across the state line that's 80% white! Almost the entire southern border of Shelby is like that- majority black precincts in Memphis bordering majority white precincts in Mississippi just a few feet away. It's similar to 8 Mile Road in Detroit. You don't see that very often anymore.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 07:48:44 AM »

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/dec/31/presidential-vote-by-precinct-reveals-shelby-of/
Most important part
WSMS is my precinct.
This is in the cluster of R60 precincts about the 240 sign on the map, isn't it? So the other precincts around vote similarly but are just in the 80s for White population?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/census/2010/

Check out this cool demographic map of the US. One thing that stood out concerning this region is that there is a precinct in Shelby County that is 95% black sitting right next to a precinct in DeSoto across the state line that's 80% white! Almost the entire southern border of Shelby is like that- majority black precincts in Memphis bordering majority white precincts in Mississippi just a few feet away. It's similar to 8 Mile Road in Detroit. You don't see that very often anymore.
This is absolutely true. The white people in Memphis live along Poplar Avenue/Highway 72, which runs through the center of town. All those areas just on the TN side of the state line used to be white flight suburbs 30 years ago. Those folks have since moved right across the state line into MS. DeSoto is very much a hunting/fishing/pickup truck/confederate flag kind of place, though the eastern side is nicer than the western side. The black population has been increasing pretty fast down there though. The mayor of Southaven has also been good for a great deal of lulz lately.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQDI9VsHxB4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Davis_(Mississippi_politician)#Expense_abuse_investigation
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 04:57:26 PM »

Most important part
WSMS is my precinct.
This is in the cluster of R60 precincts about the 240 sign on the map, isn't it? So the other precincts around vote similarly but are just in the 80s for White population?
Right. We're just inside the loop. You'll see that the shield on Don's map is just below a major road (Walnut Grove). We are north of that and north of the small pricinct boundary line just above that. It's rather surprising because the areas on the other side of Walnut Grove are much fancier. See my post on the most expensive house thread for comparison. I bet they have just enough Asians to lose the 90% white designation Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 07:24:41 AM »

Or Mexican live-in domestic servants. Grin
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »

Not a popular thing here, even among the super wealthy. People in Memphis are obsessed with crime, security, and privacy. The idea of having a live in servant, especially one of a different race, simply would not compute.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »

Most important part
WSMS is my precinct.

Though Obama won 4 precincts that were 76 to 82% white (handedly too), and won a fifth of white majority precincts overall.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies