Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:05:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 43
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread  (Read 85095 times)
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: March 25, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »

Honestly, if this scandal gets as bad as JJ says it is, I don't see her running.

Which really isn't a worry considering Patrick Murphy is still on the bench.

If this actually did get bad enough to the point where Kane would need to resign, a Republican will be the next Attorney General.

No need to worry though, since I highly doubt it will.
There is also the possibility of impeachment, just so you know.

Impeachment on what grounds? At the moment, there are none.
Daryl Metcalfe already tried to impeach her because he didn't like her dropping the defense of the gay marriage ban. If what Williams is saying is true, then he would actually have legitimate grounds to file charges.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2014, 08:32:28 AM by J. J. »

Honestly, if this scandal gets as bad as JJ says it is, I don't see her running.

Which really isn't a worry considering Patrick Murphy is still on the bench.

If this actually did get bad enough to the point where Kane would need to resign, a Republican will be the next Attorney General.

No need to worry though, since I highly doubt it will.
There is also the possibility of impeachment, just so you know.

Impeachment on what grounds? At the moment, there are none.
Daryl Metcalfe already tried to impeach her because he didn't like her dropping the defense of the gay marriage ban. If what Williams is saying is true, then he would actually have legitimate grounds to file charges.

I'm reading his commentary, and my jaw is dropping.  This isn't from some right-winger with a policy difference, or who things he's on a mission from God.  This is from an elected Democratic prosecutor, from the most liberal area of the state, who happens to be African American.  (He went to PSU, so he's not someone likely to be doing this to block her probe.)

Further, in PA, you can impeach for noncriminal charges.  The standard is "misbehavior in office."  What constitutes an impeachable offense is whatever the PA House says it is, by majority vote.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #502 on: March 25, 2014, 08:29:10 PM »

Here is actual statement relating to this:

And there’s another problem with the theory: the case was not in her office when Ms. Kane became attorney general. Before she took office, the case had been taken over by federal prosecutors.

No one left her with a potentially embarrassing decision to make; all she had to do was let the investigation take its course in the hands of federal authorities. But she didn’t do that. Instead, she asked for the case back. And then, after going out of her way to reclaim the investigation – she shut it down

For whatever reasons, Ms. Kane has been largely silent about this important fact. She has repeatedly claimed that it was federal prosecutors who ended the investigation, and that they did so because they concluded that it was without merit. I believe that to be untrue. :

http://www.pennlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/03/by_dropping_corruption_probe_a.html#incart_river

If this is true, Kane may be out of office.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #503 on: March 25, 2014, 11:00:51 PM »

And Tom Wolf comes out against Kane's handling of the case.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #504 on: March 25, 2014, 11:21:29 PM »

Beat you by 6 hours.  Smiley

I knew it would become an issue.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #505 on: March 26, 2014, 07:09:14 AM »

Some out-of-state Dems said this isn't a big deal though so what's with all of this coverage? WHY WON'T THEY COVER A KANE VS. KRAZEN MATCH UP *WITH MAPS* INSTEAD?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #506 on: March 26, 2014, 07:56:43 AM »

Rendell has weighed in on Kane's side, but only to the extent that the plea deal was bad.

http://blog.pennlive.com/capitol-notebook/2014/03/backing_kane_ex-gov_rendell_sa.html#incart_river_default
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #507 on: March 26, 2014, 07:57:52 AM »

Will Kane resign??
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #508 on: March 26, 2014, 08:29:01 AM »

I think there will need to be a threat of removal.

IF Williams is correct, and there is evidence, my guess is yes.  His statement has some weight because is the DA, and he is a Democrat.  It is not likely that he has a political agenda.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #509 on: March 26, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »

Wagner drops out:  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/03/wagner_bows_out_democratic_gov.html#incart_river_default
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #510 on: March 26, 2014, 04:32:49 PM »

Ha. Wow. That was sad.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #511 on: March 26, 2014, 05:02:58 PM »

Conservadems get support only when the primary voters think they need one to win. With Corbett looking so weak and several more liberal and equally strong alternatives, Wagner never had a chance.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #512 on: March 26, 2014, 05:17:15 PM »

Conservadems get support only when the primary voters think they need one to win. With Corbett looking so weak and several more liberal and equally strong alternatives, Wagner never had a chance.

You mean like 2010?

Wagner lost the primary then to Onorato, Dan Onorato, who was, in turn, trounced by Corbett.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #513 on: March 26, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »

You mean like 2010?

Wagner lost the primary then to Onorato, Dan Onorato, who was, in turn, trounced by Corbett.

If you want to add A) 2014 will be as bad a year as 2010 and B) Corbett was just as weak as he was then as he was now to your list of denials and delusions then yeah that's what I mean.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #514 on: March 26, 2014, 05:55:44 PM »

You mean like 2010?

If you want to add A) 2014 will be as bad a year as 2010 and B) Corbett was just as weak as he was then as he was now to your list of denials and delusions then yeah that's what I mean.

I have not said anything about Corbett's weakness, only the weakness of your statements.

Wagner was probably the strongest candidate in the General.  It does mean that Corbett won't lose, but the likelihood that he will just went down.  A lot of Corbett's political problems are going away, ironically with no effort from Corbett.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #515 on: March 26, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »

You mean like 2010?

I have not said anything about Corbett's weakness, only the weakness of your statements.

Wagner was probably the strongest candidate in the General.  It does mean that Corbett won't lose, but the likelihood that he will just went down.  A lot of Corbett's political problems are going away, ironically with no effort from Corbett.

I've seen no indication that Corbett is recovering or his problems are "going away" He was trailing even Hanger in the last poll I've seen with his approval rating in the mid 30s. The time for recovery has passed Kasich, Walker and other GOP Govs have had their low points and have bounced back gradually while Corbett's #'s have gotten only worse. I'm not seeing anything from now to November that will cause him to jump an approval rating in the 30s to where he needs to be to win re-election.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #516 on: March 26, 2014, 07:44:05 PM »

Awesome! He was the only one I really, really didn't want to win. Any of the remaining 4 would be great candidates.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #517 on: March 26, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »

You mean like 2010?

Oh please. Wagner would've gotten trounced just as badly if not worse than Onorato did. The guy is a perpetual loser.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #518 on: March 27, 2014, 12:28:17 AM »

You mean like 2010?

Wagner is the John Raese of Pennsylvania. Wolf would be a much stronger alternative.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #519 on: March 27, 2014, 06:49:15 AM »

You mean like 2010?

Oh please. Wagner would've gotten trounced just as badly if not worse than Onorato did. The guy is a perpetual loser.

No. No, I really doubt that.

And what's this comment about Wagner being the Raese of PA? You guys do realize he has held several offices and romped to victory in statewide races before, too, right?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #520 on: March 27, 2014, 05:34:19 PM »

You mean like 2010?

And what's this comment about Wagner being the Raese of PA? You guys do realize he has held several offices and romped to victory in statewide races before, too, right?

Not to mention, unlike Raese, Wagner isn't an utter and perpetual ass.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #521 on: March 27, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »

You mean like 2010?

JJ logic: 2 + 2 = 22.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #522 on: March 27, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »

You mean like 2010?

No Democrat was going to overcome the Republican wave in 2010, especially since that was back when Corbett was actually popular.

Also, the only time he "romped" to victory was in 2008, the same year that almost all Democrats in PA romped to victory. Color me unimpressed.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #523 on: March 28, 2014, 12:36:55 AM »

I've seen no indication that Corbett is recovering or his problems are "going away" He was trailing even Hanger in the last poll I've seen with his approval rating in the mid 30s. The time for recovery has passed Kasich, Walker and other GOP Govs have had their low points and have bounced back gradually while Corbett's #'s have gotten only worse. I'm not seeing anything from now to November that will cause him to jump an approval rating in the 30s to where he needs to be to win re-election.

Wagner, this time out, was possibly Corbett's strongest opponent in the fall.  He's a conservative, who won't scare off conservatives.  He'd from Western PA, so he could be competitive in Corbett's base.

The Phila 5 scandal has damaged Kane, which damages her probe.  The PSU stuff that has come out has been favorable to Corbett.

I don't know about Wolf, but Schwartz and McCord both favor fracking, Corbett's signature issue.  They want to keep it and tax it.  It does strengthen the idea that he made the right decision.

Corbett was off his lows, though admittedly, that was easy.

None of these things have anything to do with Corbett's merits.  If he were in a coma, the results would be the same.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #524 on: March 28, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »

Wagner, this time out, was possibly Corbett's strongest opponent in the fall.  He's a conservative, who won't scare off conservatives.  He'd from Western PA, so he could be competitive in Corbett's base.

Ideology is not the only factor in candidate quality. Wagner is uninspiring, dull, a crap fundraiser, and would potentially depress the Democratic base. All this to attract conservatives, almost all of which will vote for Corbett in the end anyway? Not worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies