Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:09:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 43
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread  (Read 85186 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: April 07, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »

So anything new on Kane's scandal, or has that died down some?

Still getting pressured - http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news&id=254125771
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #551 on: April 08, 2014, 07:39:52 AM »

The underlying issue is still well in the news as well:  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/04/pa_lawmakers_call_for_fuller_d.html#incart_m-rpt-1

The very Democratic leaning State College Centre Daily Times, which endorsed her, and didn't cover the story for two weeks (at least on-line) came out with a blistering editorial on that and the "investigation of the investigation." 

According to Wikipedia, the major good government group, "The Committee of Seventy," has called for a special prosecutor to investigate Kane.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #552 on: April 08, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »

The underlying issue is still well in the news as well:  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/04/pa_lawmakers_call_for_fuller_d.html#incart_m-rpt-1

The very Democratic leaning State College Centre Daily Times, which endorsed her, and didn't cover the story for two weeks (at least on-line) came out with a blistering editorial on that and the "investigation of the investigation." 

According to Wikipedia, the major good government group, "The Committee of Seventy," has called for a special prosecutor to investigate Kane.

From it's own Wiki leak, the Committee of Seventy seems like an upright non-partisan group. But lordy that is an Orwellian sounding name.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #553 on: April 08, 2014, 12:36:33 PM »

Corbett trails Generic D by 22 points

Similar to the 19 he trailed Wolf by in the most recent Quinnipiac poll.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #554 on: April 08, 2014, 05:13:59 PM »

From it's own Wiki leak, the Committee of Seventy seems like an upright non-partisan group. But lordy that is an Orwellian sounding name.

I can confirm that 70 is a good government watchdog group. Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #555 on: April 08, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »

Corbett trails Generic D by 22 points

Similar to the 19 he trailed Wolf by in the most recent Quinnipiac poll.

I'm a bit suspicious of a poll where the results show that 100% plan to vote.  Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #556 on: April 08, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »

Wolf is outspending everyone:  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/04/wolf_outspends_all_rivals_toge.html#incart_m-rpt-1

What I found interesting is that McCord raised less money than Wolf, even less than McGinty.  Wolf is largely self funded and isn't focusing on fund raising. 

I think it might come down to Wolf and Schwartz.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #557 on: April 09, 2014, 05:54:07 AM »

More bad news for Kane - http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/hp/news_update/&id=254459871
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #558 on: April 10, 2014, 08:10:20 AM »

Now it is the Washington Post talking about Kane:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/04/09/read-in-wednesday-april-9-2014-secret-service-supervisor-demoted-hope-for-ui-in-the-house-mcallister-will-seek-fbi-probe/

Kane took what could have been a 2-3 day story, and transformed it into a major scandal.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #559 on: April 10, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »

One paragraph on an online blog post in the WaPo does not a major scandal make. This whole thing still feels like it's something only hacks care about.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #560 on: April 10, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2014, 05:51:49 PM by J. J. »

One paragraph on an online blog post in the WaPo does not a major scandal make. This whole thing still feels like it's something only hacks care about.

It does when they are talking about it three weeks later.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #561 on: April 11, 2014, 02:45:57 AM »

Now it is the Washington Post talking about Kane:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/04/09/read-in-wednesday-april-9-2014-secret-service-supervisor-demoted-hope-for-ui-in-the-house-mcallister-will-seek-fbi-probe/

Kane took what could have been a 2-3 day story, and transformed it into a major scandal.

I'm sorry but you really don't know what you're talking about.

It's an almost daily story across PA, she's getting hammered by Dem friendly editorial boards, she's at war with the Dem DA in Philly (she's now throwing another fit by telling Williams, "Here. You prosecute the whole thing!") and some out of staters insist this is nothing. You're right about one thing though: hacks. Except it's the hacks on your side that insist this isn't even a story.

Please note though that not even the PA Dems around here are saying, "This isn't a story." It's one thing to say that this won't be detrimental to her in the long run (which I disagree with but whatever). It's another to act as if this isn't even a real story when it's literally front page stuff and she's catching hell from her own party.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #562 on: April 11, 2014, 05:01:37 AM »

Can someone explain me the problem? I understand nothing!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #563 on: April 11, 2014, 07:04:30 AM »

Front page of today's Inquirer...

It's ok, though! Some people from across the country said it's no big deal. "Only (Republican) hacks care!" Kane is resting easily!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #564 on: April 11, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »

Kane is definitely hurt by this, no doubt about it. Is it a career ender? At the moment, almost certainly not.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #565 on: April 12, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »

Williams just said he'd take the case, but he wants everything.

A possible conflict of interest has cropped up, with a Kane staffer (prior to becoming a staffer) being one of those people who took money.

Re-election is not an issue for Kane; continued survival as AG is. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #566 on: April 12, 2014, 05:58:03 PM »

In the Governor's race, Schwartz came out swinging against Wolf in a debate, accusing him of buying the nomination.  McCord's stepbrother accused him of dissing his stepfather.   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #567 on: April 12, 2014, 06:10:54 PM »

In the Governor's race, Schwartz came out swinging against Wolf in a debate, accusing him of buying the nomination.  McCord's stepbrother accused him of dissing his stepfather.   

Yeah, now it starts to get more entertaining.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #568 on: April 12, 2014, 07:18:14 PM »

If all Schwartz has to hit Wolf with is the loan then he has this thing sewn up it's just not a thing that's going to get voters to abandon him. And Schwartz's first campaign ad on CHIP seemed weak and ineffective it's just not something people care about.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #569 on: April 12, 2014, 09:57:31 PM »

Oh, I agree the loan attack is weak but I think there's more where that came from. Of course, if there isn't, you know I'll obviously enjoy watching Schwartz hilariously fail in a primary she was supposed to have wrapped up. Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #570 on: April 13, 2014, 03:35:09 AM »

Oh, I agree the loan attack is weak but I think there's more where that came from. Of course, if there isn't, you know I'll obviously enjoy watching Schwartz hilariously fail in a primary she was supposed to have wrapped up. Smiley
Why do you seem to specifically hate her?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #571 on: April 13, 2014, 06:51:47 AM »

If all Schwartz has to hit Wolf with is the loan then he has this thing sewn up it's just not a thing that's going to get voters to abandon him. And Schwartz's first campaign ad on CHIP seemed weak and ineffective it's just not something people care about.

Wolf's commercials are better, but Schwartz's commercials are good.

Schwartz is in a position where she has a reasonable amount of money and is raising it much better than the largely self funded Wolf.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #572 on: April 13, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »

Why do you seem to specifically hate her?

Her ideology and political background aside, the first campaign I was truly strongly involved in was for her opponent in the 2004 open PA 13 seat.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #573 on: April 13, 2014, 02:03:23 PM »

Even when she was the "frontrunner", she was polling in the 20s. I wouldn't really call that wrapped up.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #574 on: April 13, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »

Even when she was the "frontrunner", she was polling in the 20s. I wouldn't really call that wrapped up.

Her favored status was never really evidenced in polling, sure, but that's because was a frontrunner during the pre-primary period. It was more of a conventional wisdom thing. I guess that could lead to a debate over whether or not someone like that can ever be considered a real frontrunner.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies