Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:37:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 43
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread  (Read 85261 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: April 20, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »

<Raises hand>

For Kane herself, big deal. A possible chance to recover and stay in office in two years IF it doesn't get much worse or prolonged, but at very least in regards her running against Toomey--baring some independent investigation broadly, unconditionally, and LOUDLY exonerating her--she's already been "Christieized".

For the governor's race, however--meh. Even moreso if "outsider" Wolf is the nominee as expected, but not much worse even if it's Schwartz or McCord.

I'll say it again: At present it seems this realistically won't change more than about a thousand votes statewide come November. In trying to tar Wolf and other Democrats with Kane's woes, Corbett backers are grasping at straws here because---well, what else have they got? This is VERY much a Kathleen Kane problem, not a Democrat problem. And the type of Republican "rallied" enough by Kane's scandal to turn out and vote for Corbett because "CORRUPT DEMOCRATS!!" was 99% likely to vote anyway.

But don't stop believing, JJ.

Wolf already distance himself from her, so he would be the least damaged.

Schwartz, however, is seen as a liberal woman, just like Kane.  She did not distance herself.

Even for Wolf (and I may be voting for him), it creates doubt with Republicans in the general conduct of Democrats.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #601 on: April 24, 2014, 08:45:36 AM »

Kanegate takes another turn:  http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20140424_Kane_not_turning_over_sting_files_to_Williams.html

She is being compared to Emily Latella. 

It is almost as if Kane is deliberately trying to destroy herself.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #602 on: April 24, 2014, 08:51:36 AM »

What the heck is she doing.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #603 on: April 24, 2014, 11:03:04 AM »

Screwing up royally.

Some of her PR people have quit; Kane has gone through three press secretaries in less than two years. 

As I said about another local candidate recently, this would be the situation where, if I was working for the person, I would walk up them, grab them by the lapels, and say, "What the f[Inks] are you thinking?"
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #604 on: April 24, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »

Minor attack, but is the start of sniping by Schwartz on Wolf.  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/04/accused_of_plagiarism_wolf_edi.html#incart_river_default
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #605 on: April 24, 2014, 04:18:09 PM »

"Seth, you think you can handle this? Fine! Take the case!"

"Sure, buddy."

"No, you can't have it."

A total disaster.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #606 on: April 24, 2014, 05:32:36 PM »

It means Corbett is coming baaack from the political dead.

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #607 on: April 24, 2014, 05:49:56 PM »

Your concern trolling is admirable.

I, for one, welcome Tom Wolf's ascent.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #608 on: April 24, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »

It means Corbett is coming baaack from the political dead. diddly-squat.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #609 on: April 24, 2014, 05:53:57 PM »

Ya the Penn State scandal/coverup , massive education cuts, numerous gaffes "Just close your eyes"  are all just going away
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #610 on: April 24, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »

Your concern trolling is admirable.

I, for one, welcome Tom Wolf's ascent.

I actually like Wolf and prefer to see him challenge Corbett in the fall.

I would definitely vote for Corbett over Schwartz and am leaning to voting Wolf over Corbett.

We could see a bruising primary.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #611 on: April 24, 2014, 06:00:05 PM »

Ya the Penn State scandal/coverup , massive education cuts, numerous gaffes "Just close your eyes"  are all just going away

The Penn State Scandal has exploded with Kane.  What has come out has supported what he has said.

Corbett has done exceptionally little, but it seems like everyone else is screwing up worse.  Smiley
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #612 on: April 24, 2014, 08:31:44 PM »

Back in 1994, all of the so-called experts predicted then-California Governor Pete Wilson (R) was toast following the disastrous budget crisis, etc.,

Wilson came from the political dead and won reelection by double digits.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #613 on: April 24, 2014, 08:44:21 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That was from Quinnipiac's poll from February about three months. I am not seeing how these little things will help him win re-election? If he were hovering in the low to mid forties then he would have a chance at a comeback but I don't see what he can do between now and November to go from a 36 approval rating to a point where he can win re-election.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #614 on: April 24, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »

Back in 1994, all of the so-called experts predicted then-California Governor Pete Wilson (R) was toast following the disastrous budget crisis, etc.,

Corbett, thus far, has not given us any evidence that he has near the political skill that Pete Wilson has.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #615 on: April 26, 2014, 10:24:23 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2014, 10:31:40 AM by J. J. »

Title: "Kane's Korruption Keep-Away."

This is a Democratic newspaper, the Harrisburg Patriot News

How Democratic?  They panned the Gettysburg Address. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #616 on: April 26, 2014, 10:41:37 AM »

Yeah, Kane is the gift that just keeps on giving (and she can't take that away).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #617 on: April 26, 2014, 11:05:25 AM »

Corbett, thus far, has not given us any evidence that he has near the political skill that Pete Wilson has.

The question is, do any of the Democratic candidates have the political skills of Corbett.  I am starting to wonder.

Corbett cannot win the governor's race, but Democratic Nominee [insert name here] can lose it.

It might be a case of the evil of two lessers.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #618 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »

I post this without comment: Rendell recently said the Dems better not take this for granted and stressed the advantages of an incumbent especially in Pennsylvania.

Again, posted without comment.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #619 on: April 26, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »

The question is, do any of the Democratic candidates have the political skills of Corbett.  I am starting to wonder.

Corbett cannot win the governor's race, but Democratic Nominee [insert name here] can lose it.

If Corbett had such great political skills, his approval wouldn't be sitting at 36%.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #620 on: April 26, 2014, 09:59:09 PM »

If Corbett had such great political skills, his approval wouldn't be sitting at 36%.

My point is that Corbett is not great, but the others might be worse.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #621 on: April 26, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »

I think we're at the point in PA where voters are willing to overlook the flaws of Corbett's opponent in order to throw him out. He's deeply disliked and very unpopular and the voters are ready to get rid of him unless one of the Dem nominees has a criminal background or something I'm not seeing how one of them could allow for Corbett to be re-elected.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #622 on: April 27, 2014, 02:39:34 PM »

I think we're at the point in PA where voters are willing to overlook the flaws of Corbett's opponent in order to throw him out. He's deeply disliked and very unpopular and the voters are ready to get rid of him unless one of the Dem nominees has a criminal background or something I'm not seeing how one of them could allow for Corbett to be re-elected.

I spent most of the 2010 cycle calling him "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet," so I am not exactly a fan.  Smiley

One of the great problems is Kane.  We elected her, in spite of her flaws, and we have Kanegate.  People just have to look at her and ask, do we want to do that again?  It is more prevalent with Schwartz, as both are flaming liberal women, but it is still there with the other candidates.

(And Kane is suppose to be investigating the Sandusky investigation, but it has taken her half as long, so far, as the AG's investigation.)

I easily would have voted for Wagner over Corbett in 2010, but not a more liberal Onorato.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #623 on: April 27, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »

"Kathleen Kane" =/= "others".

About the only thing this has proven JJ, is that Corbett might be able to make a political comeback in 2016 by running against Kane (assuming he could get the GOP nom).
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #624 on: April 28, 2014, 01:10:41 AM »

I spent most of the 2010 cycle calling him "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet," so I am not exactly a fan.  Smiley

One of the great problems is Kane.  We elected her, in spite of her flaws, and we have Kanegate.  People just have to look at her and ask, do we want to do that again?  It is more prevalent with Schwartz, as both are flaming liberal women, but it is still there with the other candidates.

(And Kane is suppose to be investigating the Sandusky investigation, but it has taken her half as long, so far, as the AG's investigation.)

I easily would have voted for Wagner over Corbett in 2010, but not a more liberal Onorato.

I think Kanegate has much broader implications than that JJ. Surely voters all across the nation are asking themselves "What's the difference between Kane and any other Democrat?" and aren't coming up with any answers. I expect a full R wave in even the most liberal areas, followed shortly thereafter by the complete collapse of the Democratic Party.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies