Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:12:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 43
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread  (Read 85431 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: May 20, 2014, 10:45:32 PM »

Crawley has 23K more votes than Corbett a lot of Republicans leaving Governor blank...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #726 on: May 20, 2014, 10:56:30 PM »

Corbett has his goose cooked officially.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #727 on: May 20, 2014, 11:14:01 PM »

Tom Wolf is approaching 60% when his opponents were a twice elected, sitting statewide officeholder and a prolific fundraising, nationally recognized Congressman. No one would have imagined...

It does amuse me to see the Stack love around here. I know he's become a progressive hero of sorts but, honestly, guys, you wouldn't really love him.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #728 on: May 20, 2014, 11:18:55 PM »

Just shows how powerful TV ads are still these days. With all the talk about cord cutting and movement to the internet ads on TV are still the most effective way to define a candidate and reach out to the mass of voters.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #729 on: May 20, 2014, 11:19:42 PM »

Crawley has 23K more votes than Corbett a lot of Republicans leaving Governor blank...

It would've been interesting to see how high Guzzardi would've gotten, but I guess that's why Corbett got him kicked off the ballot, to avoid an embarrassingly high showing.

In other news, Wolf has swept every county in the state. His closest call was Schwartz's home turf of Montgomery County, which he won by about 500 votes.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #730 on: May 20, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »

Voted for Wolf and Neuman (who I knew wouldn't win, but his margin in Washington county was massive and even though on the issues, I would normally have voted Stack, I have to stick with my home area).

Schwartz's campaign was like the Poseidon. Strolling along nice and in the lead. Not worried at all, not even after the warnings of the poll numbers. Tom Wolf was that wave that capsized it.

I'm betting the Wolf-Stack ticket in November will have Casey '90 like numbers. Corbett could very well be decimated.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #731 on: May 21, 2014, 01:58:47 AM »

Tom Wolf is approaching 60% when his opponents were a twice elected, sitting statewide officeholder and a prolific fundraising, nationally recognized Congressman. No one would have imagined...

It does amuse me to see the Stack love around here. I know he's become a progressive hero of sorts but, honestly, guys, you wouldn't really love him.

Why are you saying that Phil? Do you know something about him that shows he's an ass? I'm curious Tongue.

And seriously, it's time to poll PA. I guess Wolf is favored, but by which margin?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #732 on: May 21, 2014, 06:55:31 AM »

Why are you saying that Phil? Do you know something about him that shows he's an ass? I'm curious Tongue.

And seriously, it's time to poll PA. I guess Wolf is favored, but by which margin?

He's my State Senator. He's be in office since 2001. Let's just say there is good reason why people in both parties call him an empty suit. He embodies the politician stereotype: the flashy smile, the hair, the top-of-the-line suits...while not doing much at all.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #733 on: May 21, 2014, 07:06:08 AM »

It helps to have your own multimillion-dollar warchest, doesn't it?

I saw Wolf commercials early on, like back in mid-winter.  They were extremely effective.  They said, look at this guy, got a PhD in astrophysics from MIT and then came back home to drive a backhoe for his daddy's construction business, started his own business which hires former crack-addicts, widows, and war veterans who have lost limbs, helps keep families together, landed a crippled airplane saving all 298 passengers, saved a drowning child, cured testicular cancer, does volunteer work at a soup kitchen every night, and is definitely not a lawyer.  I said to myself, "That's my candidate.  I'm becoming a democrat today."
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #734 on: May 21, 2014, 07:10:26 AM »

I wouldn't trust a man who creates adverts featuring testimonials of employees working for a company named after said man but Schwartz pulled a Coakley so I can't say I feel sorry for her.

Phil, what do you think of Boyle? He seems like a Democrat you could respect.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #735 on: May 21, 2014, 08:09:58 AM »

Op-ed piece on the Fall Election:  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/05/tom_corbett_could_still_win_ag.html#incart_river_default

I disagree somewhat on fundraising.  Had Wolf won be less than 10 points, he might have had a problem with fundraising.  A 40 point win will attract at least some funds.

Corbett needs to point to some major legislative victory. and raise a lot of funds.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #736 on: May 21, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »

I think Wolf's huge overperformance last night should put the bloody primary narrative to rest in PA.  Who would have thought he would get almost 58%?  Not looking good at all for Corbett.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #737 on: May 21, 2014, 03:54:55 PM »

I just want to know how did Corbett get elected in 2010? What went wrong with the Onorato campaign?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #738 on: May 21, 2014, 03:56:52 PM »

It wasn't so much that Corbett got elected, it was that the GOP got elected. Corbett could have been a blank disc, and still beaten Onorato because 2010.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #739 on: May 21, 2014, 04:05:23 PM »

I just want to know how did Corbett get elected in 2010? What went wrong with the Onorato campaign?

Corbett was a popular sitting Attorney General who even got re-elected in the Dem wave of 2008, running in one of the best Republican years in decades (2010). It's only once he became governor that he tanked politically.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #740 on: May 21, 2014, 05:02:17 PM »

He's my State Senator. He's be in office since 2001. Let's just say there is good reason why people in both parties call him an empty suit. He embodies the politician stereotype: the flashy smile, the hair, the top-of-the-line suits...while not doing much at all.

Kind of like a lieutenant governor.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #741 on: May 21, 2014, 06:19:40 PM »

It would've been interesting to see how high Guzzardi would've gotten, but I guess that's why Corbett got him kicked off the ballot, to avoid an embarrassingly high showing.

In other news, Wolf has swept every county in the state. His closest call was Schwartz's home turf of Montgomery County, which he won by about 500 votes.

Well, I was going to cry for a map, but..... :-P

Wow, I though Schwartz would've at least won a couple counties in her district. Did she even beat McCord for second?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #742 on: May 21, 2014, 06:33:20 PM »

Well, I was going to cry for a map, but..... :-P

Wow, I though Schwartz would've at least won a couple counties in her district. Did she even beat McCord for second?

Yeah. There's still a few precincts outstanding, but it won't be enough to change the placements.

Wolf 57.9%
Schwartz 17.6%
McCord 16.9%
McGinty 7.7%
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #743 on: May 21, 2014, 06:47:36 PM »

Can we get a Lieutenant Governor map?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #744 on: May 23, 2014, 01:02:49 PM »

Corbett breaking out the loserspeak early.
ProudNewEnglander
Rookie

« Reply #745 on: May 23, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »

Can we get a Lieutenant Governor map?

Take a look at the atlas. I made one yesterday.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #746 on: May 24, 2014, 03:40:32 AM »

Seriously, if Corbett is defeated, what was the last time where an incumbent governor was defeated in PA?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #747 on: May 24, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »

Seriously, if Corbett is defeated, what was the last time where an incumbent governor was defeated in PA?

No Governor of Pennsylvania has ever been defeated in seeking reelection, although that is obviously due in big part to the Pennsylvania Constitution only allowing a second consecutive term since its 1968 revision.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #748 on: May 24, 2014, 04:19:23 PM »

No Governor of Pennsylvania has ever been defeated in seeking reelection, although that is obviously due in big part to the Pennsylvania Constitution only allowing a second consecutive term since its 1968 revision.

Adding a bit to this, the closest reelection race was 1982, Thornburgh vs. Ertel.  Ertel was US. Rep whose district basically ran down the West Branch of the Susquehanna from Williamsport down to south of Harrisburg, a nice chunk of Central PA.  Ertel was able to cut into the GOP base of the "T," by basically winning that district.

Wolf is from York, which is also part of Central PA.  You could see a similar dynamic, though Ertel's district spanned three media markets.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #749 on: May 26, 2014, 02:02:14 PM »

Why hasn't PA instituted a severance tax on all the NG and coal they been producing over the years?  They're literally the only major producer that doesn't.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies