Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:51:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 43
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread  (Read 85605 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: June 01, 2014, 08:02:40 AM »

Rassy says Wolf+20

Rick Santorum is already counting the days to November when he's finally not the biggest looooser anymore in Pennsylvania ... Tongue

Congrats, Phil !
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2014, 08:13:10 AM »

Rassy says Wolf+20

Rick Santorum is already counting the days to November when he's finally not the biggest looooser anymore in Pennsylvania ... Tongue

Congrats, Phil !

I will defend Phil, he has never said "Corbett will win." He has said "Corbett can still recover". That's definitely not the same thing, and if the Dem nominee were Schwartzn Corbett would perform much better right now.

And seriously, Rassy lol, I don't buy it, 20 points, too big.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #777 on: June 01, 2014, 08:16:37 AM »

Rassy says Wolf+20

Congrats, Phil !

I will defend Phil, he has never said "Corbett will win." He has said "Corbett can still recover". That's definitely not the same thing, and if the Dem nominee were Schwartzn Corbett would perform much better right now.

I meant that Phil can be happy if Corbett loses by a bigger margin than Santorum ... Wink
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #778 on: June 01, 2014, 08:18:02 AM »

Rassy says Wolf+20

Congrats, Phil !

I meant that Phil can be happy if Corbett loses by a bigger margin than Santorum ... Wink

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, sorry Tender Branson Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #779 on: June 01, 2014, 08:24:58 AM »

There were already 2 other polls that have shown 20-point leads for Wolf.

And let's see what PPP has next week (and probably Quinnipiac).

I definitely can see how Wolf is ahead by 20 right now, if Corbett is in the low 30s in terms of favorability.

And Wolf on the other hand is quite popular, if I remember correctly.

All of this can still change until election day, but right now it looks good ... Wink
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #780 on: June 01, 2014, 01:24:56 PM »

Looks like rather than Mark Pryor, Tom Corbett is the Blanche Lincoln of 2014. Complete with pundits hedging about the massive polling leads with cries of: "Never count out an incumbent!"
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #781 on: June 01, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2014, 02:16:08 PM by J. J. »

Rassy says Wolf+20

Congrats, Phil !

I think Corbett will close the gap, but not win.

The only thing that could save him would some resounding legislative victories, e.g. privatizing the state store system.  I would be surprised if he got it.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #782 on: June 01, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »

How big will Wolf's coattails be if he's winning by 20+ points? Republicans down ballot can't be happy about this.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #783 on: June 01, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »

How big will Wolf's coattails be if he's winning by 20+ points? Republicans down ballot can't be happy about this.

They only have themselves to blame for not primarying him.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #784 on: June 01, 2014, 06:17:06 PM »

Shouldn't we wait for the krazen2014 Accupoll to come out before declaring a trend?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #785 on: June 01, 2014, 08:49:58 PM »

And for not handing him some legislative victories.

I doubt if either house will flip.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #786 on: June 02, 2014, 04:05:24 AM »

Normally, the senate and the house shouldn't flip,
But seriously, if it's a 20 point margin...
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #787 on: June 02, 2014, 05:05:34 AM »

No, it won't happen.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #788 on: June 02, 2014, 05:08:28 AM »

No, it won't happen.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=191932.25.msg4152128#msg4152128
Flipping the PA senate has always been a possibility, especially because they just need 2 pick ups.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #789 on: June 02, 2014, 05:29:04 AM »

No, it won't happen.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=191932.25.msg4152128#msg4152128
Flipping the PA senate has always been a possibility, especially because they just need 2 pick ups.

That's not true; they need at least 3 pick ups because Democrats don't even have a candidate for District 38, so Republicans have automatically picked up a district, and there are 2 other tough defences for Democrats. Even in your thread you say Republicans are likely to keep the senate!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #790 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:09 AM »

No, it won't happen.

That's not true; they need at least 3 pick ups because Democrats don't even have a candidate for District 38, so Republicans have automatically picked up a district, and there are 2 other tough defences for Democrats. Even in your thread you say Republicans are likely to keep the senate!

They need to gain 2 seats... And yep, there is a dem seat that will go republican, but they have other opportunities.

Yep, they have an advantage, but when you have an incumbent governor who risks to be trounced, that doesn't help them at all.

What you're saying is that PA democrats WON'T win the PA senate.
Me, I believe that's a possibility because they have some opportunities, especially with a badly unpopular governor. 
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #791 on: June 02, 2014, 06:05:02 AM »

No, it won't happen.

They need to gain 2 seats... And yep, there is a dem seat that will go republican, but they have other opportunities.

That means they need to gain 3 seats because Democrats DON'T HAVE A CANDIDATE FOR ONE OF THE SEATS THEY HOLD (38).

I think coattails are overestimated. Remember even Chris Christie's thumping win didn't help Republicans at all in the state legislature.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #792 on: June 02, 2014, 06:16:03 AM »

No, it won't happen.

That means they need to gain 3 seats because Democrats DON'T HAVE A CANDIDATE FOR ONE OF THE SEATS THEY HOLD (38).

I think coattails are overestimated. Remember even Chris Christie's thumping win didn't help Republicans at all in the state legislature.

So overall, they have to gain 2 seats: they have 23 seats, they need to have 25 seats...

For the NJ, two reasons:
-The chambers were dem gerrymanders.
-And the NJ democrats weren't unpopular, Christie was popular. That's not the same thing this time for PA republicans, where the governor and his agenda is BADLY unpopular.

Flipping this chamber is a possibility, I haven't even said it was likely. But saying "they won't win", implying they have virtually no chance to pick up this chamber, is really a pro republican comment.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #793 on: June 02, 2014, 06:26:44 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2014, 06:28:28 AM by Hifly »

No, you're still wrong on the numbers and I don't know why.

Let's do this slowly:

If Democrats gain 2 seats in the senate, the Republicans will have a majority of 26-24. The Democrats will have not taken back the senate. This is because there is no Democratic candidate in Senate District 38, so Republicans start at an advantage of 28-22. Therefore, they need to gain 3 seats to bring it to a tie of 25-25 which allows the Lt. Gov. to cast a tie breaking vote in their favour.

Do you have substantial evidence that the targeted Republican legislators in the Senate themselves have suddenly become exceptionally unpopular, regardless of how unpopular Corbett and his agenda is?

Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #794 on: June 02, 2014, 06:37:39 AM »

Also, when are your State House PVIs coming out? The suspense is killing me.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #795 on: June 02, 2014, 06:38:58 AM »

You know, if the democrats pick up 3 seats but they lose 1 seat: overall they still have to win 2 seats, this is what I wanted to say, I know very well that a dem seat is already lost.

Considering you have basically 4 open seats (1 democrat and 3 republicans) that will probably be won by Wolf, these seats are definitely in play.

And then, there are 3 rep seats in lean D/swingy district, they would probably be safe without Corbett, but when you have an incumbent governor that is badly unpopular, his party will obviously suffer because of him. Is it enough to win one of these seats? Probably not, but that's a possibility.

As I said, flipping the PA senate is a possibility, this is not likely. But that's a possibility, so saying "Democrats won't win the chamber" is definitely overestimating Republicans' chances. The PA senate is in play, the republicans have an advantage, but this chamber is in play.

-------------------------
I have some problems with a state, but except that, it should be soon be available!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #796 on: June 02, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »

There has always been concern about down ballot races this year but we're actually in a good position to totally cancel out Dem gains or so I've heard from fairly objective analysts. Looks like the party is doing a good job of separating these races from the top of the ballot.

Both chambers will stay Republican.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #797 on: June 02, 2014, 07:27:11 AM »

Also, with so many pro-life, pro-traditional family values Democrats in the state legislature, it would be literally impossible for socially liberal legislation to pass the legislature even with reasonably substantial Democratic Majorities. Smiley

Pennsylvania Democrats are Awesome Cheesy

Are there any pro-choice Republicans in the legislature?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #798 on: June 02, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »

Luckily I live in SD-26 (D+2, incumbent Republican retiring), so my vote actually matters in Senate control. Smiley

While Republicans are definitely favored to hold the chamber, it is by no means a sure thing, with the gubernatorial race looming large. And while it's not known what effect Wolf's coattails will have, they certainly can't hurt.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #799 on: June 02, 2014, 08:10:33 PM »

Are there any pro-choice Republicans in the legislature?

Plenty from the Southeast.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies