Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:27:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread  (Read 85195 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: October 10, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »

If there was a bag that you knew had nothing but bad things, and another bag, that you don't know anything about, but might be better, which would you pick?

I don't think Corbett is a bag full of bad things. He didn't do everything right, but just compare him to other GOP governors like Scott or Perry.

Another interesting question in PA is: If Wolf is elected, what seems to be almost certain now, how is he going to deal with the republican State Legislature? And in which direction will his popularity develop after his inauguartion in January? If he is only elected on an "anti-Corbett-platform", his popularity might decline soon. Especially when he proves to be unable to work with republican legislators.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #951 on: October 10, 2014, 04:31:14 PM »

Yeah, it's already known that Wolf and the GOP legislature are expecting a very long four years.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #952 on: October 10, 2014, 05:48:39 PM »

Hillary campaigns for Wolf.

According to the article, it was a pretty good speech. She seemed to attack Corbett even more than Wolf has.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #953 on: October 10, 2014, 06:20:16 PM »

A 20th century economy won't work? Hillary delcares war on Bill Clinton's Presidency.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #954 on: October 10, 2014, 11:30:31 PM »

When Wolf was pressed for his exact tax plan and how he would compensate for all the new spending he wanted to do, it wasn't pretty. Still, too late, doesn't matter.

Yeah, that was pretty cringeworthy. I just got done watching it.

On the plus side, I liked when Wolf hammered Corbett on voter ID, even flat out stating the elephant in the room: that there was no evidence of voter fraud and the goal was solely to suppress Democratic votes. He even alluded to Turzai's "deliver Pennsylvania to Mitt Romney" comment.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #955 on: October 11, 2014, 10:13:06 AM »

If Wolf is elected, what seems to be almost certain now, how is he going to deal with the republican State Legislature?

Hopefully better than Corbett, who consistently failed to get legislative support for his agenda.

You're right about the campaign, though.  It's largely negative.  That's true for most of the races nationwide, and especially the senate races.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #956 on: October 11, 2014, 10:42:57 PM »

The First Lady is campaigning in Philly on Wednesday for Wolf. 
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #957 on: October 12, 2014, 12:35:33 AM »

Hopefully she can pronounce names correctly this time.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #958 on: October 12, 2014, 02:31:18 AM »

Hopefully she can pronounce names correctly this time.

"I'm very proud to be here today supporting Tom Coyote"
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #959 on: October 12, 2014, 06:49:50 AM »

Mr. Worf will break the glass ceiling when he becomes the first klingon governor of Pennsylvania. 
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #960 on: October 12, 2014, 09:17:06 AM »

Mr. Worf will break the glass ceiling when he becomes the first klingon governor of Pennsylvania. 

I laughed way too hard at this.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #961 on: October 18, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »

Corbett's website photoshopped a black woman standing next to him.

LOL
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #962 on: October 18, 2014, 09:00:58 PM »

Just read the article including his prior comment about having Latinos in the cabinet. "Let us know if you find any"?!? Shocked

Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #963 on: October 19, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »

He's so freakin' stupid.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #964 on: October 19, 2014, 07:52:33 AM »

I'm pretty sure everyone in that picture is 'shopped.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #965 on: October 19, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »

..it's a campaign error (which I'm not excusing, by the way), dude. The Governor isn't sitting on a laptop, editing pictures on his campaign site.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #966 on: October 19, 2014, 01:26:04 PM »

Phil, do Corbett yard signs actually exist? I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I ask because I've been all over Delaware and Chester County in the past couple months, and can't remember seeing a single Corbett sign, yet I've seen dozens of Wolf signs. Even when going through heavily Republican areas, the place is blanketed with signs for the Republican state legislative candidates and Republican HoR candidates, but absolutely nothing for Corbett. I'm not trying to pull a Peggy Noonan and act like it means anything (the polls speak for themselves on that front), but it's pretty bizarre.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #967 on: October 19, 2014, 01:55:44 PM »

Phil, do Corbett yard signs actually exist? I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I ask because I've been all over Delaware and Chester County in the past couple months, and can't remember seeing a single Corbett sign, yet I've seen dozens of Wolf signs. Even when going through heavily Republican areas, the place is blanketed with signs for the Republican state legislative candidates and Republican HoR candidates, but absolutely nothing for Corbett. I'm not trying to pull a Peggy Noonan and act like it means anything (the polls speak for themselves on that front), but it's pretty bizarre.

They very much exist. I was in York, and ironically there were alot of campaign signs all along the road.

I've seen a decent amount Corbett signs in Mechanicsburg and Camp Hill.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #968 on: October 19, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »

Corbett signs exist out here on the frontier in western PA. You mainly see them along the road or at an intersection, although I actually saw one in a yard on which the house had a washing and and old fridge sitting on the porch alongside a big garbage bag or something. Yeah, seriously.

As to this photoshopping - yeah, it's a "campaign error" alright, of the deliberate-and-hope-no-one-says-anything variety.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #969 on: October 19, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »

I think Phil meant that obviously Corbett wasn't the one who was shopping the pics. It was probably a staffer or something.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #970 on: October 19, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »

Just got back to PA and to my surprise there were several Corbett yard signs in State Assembly district 166 (parts of Delaware and Montgomery Counties) which is a Democratic stronghold. (I can only tell because there were a few Sarah Armstrong signs in the vicinity as well.) Of course this means absolutely nothing as obviously some Republicans live here, but I was surprised because they popped up in the last week.

Yeah, I was going through Haverford just a few days ago, and the place was flooded with Armstrong and Meehan signs, nothing for Corbett that I saw. Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough...
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #971 on: October 19, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »

I think Phil meant that obviously Corbett wasn't the one who was shopping the pics. It was probably a staffer or something.

Oh, I agree! I'd just be shocked with both his approval and reputation in the tank that he would have staffers who would just do something like that without his knowledge.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #972 on: October 19, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »

Oh, I agree! I'd just be shocked with both his approval and reputation in the tank that he would have staffers who would just do something like that without his knowledge.
These types of things happen fairly often. IIRC, Brad Sherman edited his mother out of a lot of his campaign pictures for no reason.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #973 on: October 19, 2014, 05:52:15 PM »

..it's a campaign error (which I'm not excusing, by the way), dude. The Governor isn't sitting on a laptop, editing pictures on his campaign site.

Maybe I was just stating that in general Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #974 on: October 19, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »

Yes, they do exist but they're obviously not all over the place. Tongue  I know of no more than three properties in my area with Corbett signs. That being said, Wolf doesn't have many up in the city or the suburbs that I frequent either.

I was in Delaware county today and saw plenty of signs for the big State Senate race but no Gubernatorial signs at all. I was in Montco yesterday and Wednesday and saw quite a few Wolf signs and plenty of legislative signs. Only one Corbett sign.

Are you serious? You think they run campaign design ideas by him? No candidate for that high of an office is ever that hands on. Come on.

And yes, it was a deliberate error by a staffer. I wasn't saying "campaign error" like someone accidentally pressed a button and an image of a black woman suddenly appeared.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies